Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Land Run 100

Old 03-12-17, 06:52 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Land Run 100

The event was yesterday and the conditions were absolutely brutal. It started raining early in the morning so the red Oklahoma clay started getting slick and the windchill was in the low 30's. Out of 1,200 registered for the 100, only 165 finished.

The conditions were the most brutal I've ever encountered.

FYI - I did not finish
Old 03-12-17, 08:42 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
All you had to say is that the LR100 took place. The LR100 ALWAYS brings big rain and deep mud to the course. If anyone ever tells you they did the LR100 without sinking in sticky mud (or without permanent red stains on their bike), they're lying to you.
Old 03-12-17, 09:27 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
The event was yesterday and the conditions were absolutely brutal. It started raining early in the morning so the red Oklahoma clay started getting slick and the windchill was in the low 30's. Out of 1,200 registered for the 100, only 165 finished.

The conditions were the most brutal I've ever encountered.

FYI - I did not finish
There's no shame in quiting the race..its just a matter of self-preservation. All the peole who showed up in that race(including me) were all prepared for the cold weather, wind, mud and the elevation that the course will present. The chilling rain that really put the race in to an epic one. Im not surprised hearing that only 165 finished. The first 2 hours was a blast. Then all hail(literally) broke loose, and the rain didnt stop for an hour or 2. I saw people already knocking on every houses they see and left their Bikes on the roads. I even see people huddled in between hay bales. On mile 30 where the hike-a-bike happens, i only saw a handfull walking and the end of the mud people now were their phone asking for pick-up.
It was really a day to remember.

Last edited by Maverick 13330; 03-12-17 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 09:57 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to know how brutal was the race yesterday.. You better check what happened to Kae Take****a of panaracer gravel team. Riding in circles for 30mins just only 2 blocks away to the finish line.

https://m.facebook.com/bicyclexchangegravelteam/photos/a.1509673972626318.1073741829.1489715937955455/1807553286171717/?type=3

and aside from that, me as a witnessed right after the grassy single track part heading to Guthrie, a guy fell straight to a 20ft ditch. Legs and arms are broken. And it seems that he also suffered a broken ribs. Not really a good day to race.

Last edited by Maverick 13330; 03-12-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 06:01 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
If you want to know how brutal was the race yesterday.. You better check what happened to Kae Take****a of panaracer gravel team. Riding in circles for 30mins just only 2 blocks away to the finish line.

https://m.facebook.com/bicyclexchang...171717/?type=3

and aside from that, me as a witnessed right after the grassy single track part heading to Guthrie, a guy fell straight to a 20ft ditch. Legs and arms are broken. And it seems that he also suffered a broken ribs. Not really a good day to race.
Wow, that sounds insane. Also, methinks the profanity filter here is a little overzealous.
Old 03-14-17, 03:09 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lived and rode over there for 4 years (including gravel) that ride just isn't worth it. Not my thing.
Old 03-16-17, 03:10 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Sheared off my RD hanger (non-replaceable) last year in the mud, won't ever do that again. There's races that are tough because they are challenging courses, and then there's races that are hard for reasons that have nothing to do with biking. I don't like the second option.
Old 03-16-17, 05:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
JOM from Gravel Cyclist was there. He did a writeup...
"My state of near hypothermia was recognized immediately. When I was stable enough to be moved..."
Sounds brutal.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-16-17 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 06:06 PM
FrontRanger

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At some point it's no longer racing (or even riding), but simply survival. Call me a wimp, but I can think of better ways to spend my time on two wheels.
Old 03-17-17, 08:07 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by FrontRanger
At some point it's no longer racing (or even riding), but simply survival. Call me a wimp, but I can think of better ways to spend my time on two wheels.
I saw a FB post from a bike shop in OKC that offered some gentle criticism of Land Run; of course, this being the internet and facebook, it generated a lot of vitriolic responses along the lines of "you don't like it because you're not TUFF!"

Which clearly misses the point; personally I've have no problem doing hard races, including the 2015 Dirty Kanza which was also a mudfest, and my unwillingness to go ride in Oklahoma mud for 100 miles has many more factors than just toughness. For me it's a simple cost-benefit analysis, with an underlying recognition that I ride bikes because it's fun and I personally do not find walking my bike in mud to be fun.

That said, I have nothing against Land Run or the people who choose to ride in it. People are free to participate in whatever they want and I offer them nothing but encouragement and well wishes.

However, I won't do it again.
Old 03-17-17, 08:26 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I saw a FB post from a bike shop in OKC that offered some gentle criticism of Land Run; of course, this being the internet and facebook, it generated a lot of vitriolic responses along the lines of "you don't like it because you're not TUFF!"

Which clearly misses the point; personally I've have no problem doing hard races, including the 2015 Dirty Kanza which was also a mudfest, and my unwillingness to go ride in Oklahoma mud for 100 miles has many more factors than just toughness. For me it's a simple cost-benefit analysis, with an underlying recognition that I ride bikes because it's fun and I personally do not find walking my bike in mud to be fun.

That said, I have nothing against Land Run or the people who choose to ride in it. People are free to participate in whatever they want and I offer them nothing but encouragement and well wishes.

No kidding. Hypothermia is no joke.

Does LR have the "YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU" clauses in its ride agreement like DK? Granted it takes all sorts....but having 90% DNF says that ride shouldn't have happened on that day.

Unless there's $100,000USD at the finish line for the winner (AKA it's a UCI professional race), there's no reason to ride to dazed hypothermia and break bones trying and failing staying on a bike in a mudpit for 100 miles.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 03-17-17 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 08:42 AM
FrontRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excellent summary.
Old 03-17-17, 08:46 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Does LR have the "YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU" clauses in its ride agreement like DK? Granted it takes all sorts....but having 90% DNF says that ride shouldn't have happened on that day.
Yeah I don't remember the specific terms but I have never ridden in an organized event that didn't include a waiver like that, gravel or otherwise. From a liability standpoint, any promoter who did not provide a waiver would be insane.

A waiver could still be defeated in court under the right circumstances, but that's unlikely and it's also a legal discussion that is probably more appropriate for another thread/forum.
Old 03-17-17, 08:54 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Yeah I don't remember the specific terms but I have never ridden in an organized event that didn't include a waiver like that, gravel or otherwise. From a liability standpoint, any promoter who did not provide a waiver would be insane.

A waiver could still be defeated in court under the right circumstances, but that's unlikely and it's also a legal discussion that is probably more appropriate for another thread/forum.
I was just wondering. Some rides try and look after participants ....others (like DK) say "LOL you signed up for this and you're on your own at almost all times". Keeping a race on, on a day like that. Yikes.

Granted there are lots of yahoos out there....about 100 of them ride bikes near Stillwater, OK.
Old 03-17-17, 09:00 AM
FrontRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No kidding. Hypothermia is no joke.

Unless there's $100,000USD at the finish line for the winner (AKA it's a UCI professional race), there's no reason to ride to dazed hypothermia and break bones trying and failing staying on a bike in a mudpit for 100 miles.
And are bragging rights/tuff-guy points worth more than the cost of replacing an entire drivetrain, or worse, a frame when the non-replaceable derailleur hanger is torn off?
Old 03-17-17, 09:02 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

And are bragging rights/tuff-guy points worth more than the cost of replacing an entire drivetrain, or worse, a frame when the non-replaceable derailleur hanger is torn off?
Or....a couple broken bones, of which even one exceeds the MSRP of all the bike jewelry.
Old 03-20-17, 01:28 PM
therhodeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Granted there are lots of yahoos out there....about 100 of them ride bikes near Stillwater, OK.
Its definitely a big thing there. I don't want to speak ill of the people as I'm friends with plenty of them but it seems like the scene has a bit of tunnel vision at this point. It has a lot of the same tendencies as the Crossfit scene. "Oh you got hurt doing this ridiculous, inadvisable thing? You're one of us now".
Old 03-20-17, 06:31 PM
Maverick 13330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There were 4 of us in family van returning from Guthrie to Stillwater.. the consensus is just to bring an old bike in to the race which whenever bike broke down or dipped in to a mud tears will not shed. One of the racer has this $2500 bike bought just last year having a hard time to hide his disbelief on the fate of his beautiful and shiny bike. Im a vintage bike enthusiast. Am now looking for some old bike to overhaul/repair only for LR use. A hybrid bike with an alum frame would be nice. In the FB marketplace in our area has lots for sale.

Just replaced my bikes B, brake pads and chain(mud went inside the bushings) and lastly threw my leg warmer, socks, shorts and my wife's old jacket(unable to clean them anyway). Based on my calculation, roughly around $100 of gears and component lost. Do i mind? Yes of course. But im an adult, i know what's at stake.

People are not forced to ride the event.. you dont get fined for not showing up in the starting line heck you can even refund your money if dont feel like doing it.
i dont understand all this whining and crying. If you dont like such event, better stay biking on your own where sunset and time will not get you pressured to finish as fast as possible.

Last edited by Maverick 13330; 03-20-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 06:55 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Everytime I see one of these midwest mud-fest blowouts I'm glad the roads down here are a good mix of stone and well draining hardpack. I'm not strong enough to spend that much time in such conditions and still pedal down the road.

Once we did have a solid week of every-single-day rain before a 100k gravel event. The roads were soft and there was mud and sand and silt everywhere but it was still 100% ride-able on 40mm tires.
Old 03-21-17, 07:17 AM
therhodeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it generated a lot of vitriolic responses along the lines of "you don't like it because you're not TUFF!"
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
i dont understand all this whining and crying. If you dont like such event, better stay biking on your own where sunset and time will not get you pressured to finish as fast as possible.
And there it is.
Old 03-19-18, 10:20 AM
jayhawkpanic

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Land run 2018 was completely epic. Perfect weather, fast gravel, and great company. Crazy hills in the last 30 miles though. My goal was to beat the sun and I did it. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 03-19-18, 01:14 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Congrats! It looked a lot more fun than last year. What did you ride?
Old 03-20-18, 08:51 AM
jayhawkpanic

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks. I rode my new 2018 salsa warbird carbon apex.

It was really smooth and comfortable for the most part.
Old 03-24-18, 06:26 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
All you had to say is that the LR100 took place. The LR100 ALWAYS brings big rain and deep mud to the course. If anyone ever tells you they did the LR100 without sinking in sticky mud (or without permanent red stains on their bike), they're lying to you.
Except this year. There was no mud to be found.
Old 03-24-18, 06:28 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Its definitely a big thing there. I don't want to speak ill of the people as I'm friends with plenty of them but it seems like the scene has a bit of tunnel vision at this point. It has a lot of the same tendencies as the Crossfit scene. "Oh you got hurt doing this ridiculous, inadvisable thing? You're one of us now".
That is so not true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.