Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How do you identify good-enough wheels?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How do you identify good-enough wheels?

Old 04-27-18, 04:55 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Context is everything.

We're talking about a brand new wheelset being used for a single 1600km trip carrying less weight loaded than I weigh by myself. I might have good wheel tech look at them pre trip but then would jump on that horse and ride.Heck, I ride 2nd hand rims from the 90s without concern. Theoretical first world problem to me.

people can worry themselves motionless if they try hard enough.
which brings us back to the idea to just buy the bike (not bought already I presume) , watch the tire pressures arent too high, and do some riding wth panniers on and see how it is, dont be a bull in a china shop and bash seated over rough stuff, use common sense and see how they handle it.
Old 04-27-18, 05:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Absolutely.
I find how you treat a bike and common sense has far more to do with longevity than material.

There's a difference between what the Op wants to do and say, building a platform that will stand up to the rigors of touring over a long period of time. People have been hopping on bikes and doing one off tours for more than a century. My first real tour was about 1300km's on a second hand 2x5 mtb with steel rims.

I said this seemed like a sort of first world problem because we tend to want to sheild ourselves from the uncertainty of life by buying buffers but it can become a bit neurotic if left unchecked. Most people in the world ride old crappy bikes every day so there's no reason to think one should replace brand new wheels on a brand new bike with other brand new wheels - just in case.

If someone decides they like touring maybe they should eventually build with purpose specific components but no one needs them to do a one off trip unless that trip presents some sort of harsh conditions.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-27-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-28-18, 12:21 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Instead of guessing, Cannondale C4 wheelset: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...3-487b7a2eedf2
This is odd.
Quick 4 wheels shown in your link use 15 gauge spokes on a $710 Quick 4.

Going to the main Cannondale page then back to the Fitness category and Quick 4 yields a $699.99 bike with 14 gauge spokes.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined

we’re not talking about wheels and touring in general but one of two possible spoke gauges on a rear wheel for a moderately heavy rear load. . I don’t see any problem with a 32spoke wheel with 14 gauge spokes. 32 spoke 15 gauge with upwards of 30 lbs sitting dead on the rear wheel requires that the wheel is built very well with no upside to having the lighter spokes and some downside when the bike is knocked around. Sure one can do anything, grab a 50 yr old $25 yard sale bike and go. As kids we all rode on the back of a friends bike and the wheels held up, or didn’t. It’s not a first world worry wart problem to ask what are good enough wheels and hear what factors comprise good enough. If the context is someone who hasn’t built or repaired a wheel, is new to touring, is putting 30lbs on the rear of a brand new bike for a 1000 mile trip and they were 15g spokes what would you recommend? Besides worrying or not worrying.
Old 04-28-18, 10:16 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
1. The Op say he was open to weight redistribution so there's no reason to assume 30lbs dead weight over the rear wheels.

2. For a 1 off tour, new bike, combined weight I would tell the Op four things.

Look online for reviews to see if anyone is having issues with that particular wheelset failing. If it isn't happening to others it probably won't happen to you. Google is your friend.

If you are uncertain how to do it, have the wheels looked over by a good bike tech to make sure they are tensioned correctly.

Do some pre trip tripping to sort things out.
Enjoy the ride. Something unexpected might happen but that's part of the adventure. You will probably figure it out.

Nothing wrong with the Op asking the question. From my perspective, suggesting they replacec a new wheelset with a different wheelset "just in case" is the wrong answer. That's all. Its a knee jerk reaction to a problem that doesn't even exist yet. My advice is: go ride the bike some - then see what the issues might be. Dont try to solve theoretical problems that may or may not occur within the parameters of a single trip.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-28-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 11:20 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Canada Writer, My beater is a very, very high milage Cannondale touring bike that wasn't well maintained. While 36H rims, the spokes are straight 15 gauge, a spoke size Cannondale used for many models. I don't see spoke size as much of an issue.

I would ride the bike for a couple hundred kms and have the wheels tuned by the bike shop. Ride enough to assess the tune up before the tour. If all's good, I wouldn't worry about them during a 1600 km tour.

Brad