Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Drawback to too big tires?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Drawback to too big tires?

Old 06-13-18, 10:08 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG

While differences in size of the same model of tire are noticeable you may find bigger differences between different models. I had 40mm Schwalbe Mondials on my CrossCheck and they feel like truck tires compared to 38 mm AlMotion.
That's interesting because, according to the Schwalbe website, they're both the same weight.
Old 06-13-18, 10:09 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I think you are missing the dynamics of rotating weight. It's always accelerating (deceleration is only negative acceleration). Pick a point on the wheel. Move it. The spokes put force on the wheel to pull that point into a different direction. That's the "external force" acting on that point of the wheel. The point accelerates away from the straight line. And it just keeps on accelerating which means you have to keep adding force to keep the wheel moving.

You also have to consider that we don't live and ride in a vacuum so we are always punching a hole in the air. The act of moving the air out of the way is another acceleration...well, deceleration, that we have to keep putting energy into overcoming. There also some frictional forces which are mostly trivial.

And then there is gravity. Every hill is an acceleration to lift yourself up it. Yea, we get a bit of a freebie on the other side but that's paid for.

We are constantly accelerating on a bike when we ride. Weight makes a difference.
No.
The added effort required to accelerate a heavier tire is equal to the added effort that all types of drag needs to put forward to slow the tire down. Your speed will fluctuate less quickly meaning less need to re-accelerate.

You misunderstand what 'acceleration' is - it is actual change in speed caused by an imbalance in forces on a body, not just 'any force' applied to the body. If you are putting 200 watts into turning the rear wheel, and all combined drag is pushing against you with 200 watts, then your acceleration is zero, so there is no effort required to accelerate the wheels.

If, in the same scenario, you are unable to maintain a steady 200 watts for some period of time, you will decelerate more slowly if you have more mass and so you will need to accelerate less than if you had less mass to get back up to your cruising speed.

Different or wider tires might have more drag, and any added mass will require more energy to be carried up a hill, but your statement about heavier tires requiring more energy due to 'constant acceleration' is false.
Old 06-13-18, 11:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That's interesting because, according to the Schwalbe website, they're both the same weight.
Weight has very little to do with it. A supple casing, especially if used with a thin tread requires less effort to roll down the road. But some tires have a stiff casing, or a thick tread, or a layer of soft rubber that consumes a lot of energy as you flex it, those tires are slower.

When you are rolling down the road at 13 miles per hour, you are flexing approximately 20 feet of tire casing on each your front and rear tires during every second. If that is not a very flexible tire then that consumes a lot of energy. I have some older Schwalbe Marathon Dureme tires, that model is now discontinued., They are size 26X2.0 and were sold as a durable touring tire for rough areas and poor quality pavement. For a thick treaded tire, they roll quite well, in part because of the supple sidewall and casing. Later I thought I was buying another one of the same tires on-line, but this one was one of their tandem rated tires and I did not know that until I received it. (The Dureme came in both a solo bike version and a more robust tandem bike version.) The tandem rated one had a very stiff sidewall and stiff casing. Both tires look the same, both are the same size. But the tandem one is very slow compared to the other one.
Old 06-13-18, 05:12 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I consider a 3 percent difference to be not much more than round off error.
Heh, I put my fat bike into a personal top three strava spot on one of my local MUP segiments last week, if we want to get into fatter tires and speed. An anomaly for sure, but humorous nonetheless

Both tires look the same, both are the same size. But the tandem one is very slow compared to the other one.
Which I suppose befs the question a) whats the rest of the differences between all the Marathons, and b) why name them all similar!
Old 06-14-18, 06:47 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
First, consider what the difference between 40mm, 37mm and 35mm tires are. 3, 2 and 5mm. 5mm isn't even a quarter of an inch. 3mm is just shy of 1/8" and 2mm is just shy of 1/16". Are those really that large a difference? Going from a 40mm to a 37mm is a trivial volume difference. Going from 40mm to 35mm is still trivial.

Consider the difference at the contact patch which is the only place it really matters. A 3mm change in height is like adding a nickel under your tire. Is it really that radical a change?
I think you're mistaken in saying "hey, 2, 3, 5mm is not that much". Consider the % increase in widths:
35-37: 5.7%
37-40: 8.1%
35-40: 14.3%

Consider the contact patch. Let's assume it's a square (and it depends on the rider weight, tire pressure, etc.) - now we're dealing with squaring:
35-37: 11.8%
37-40: 16.9%
35-40: 30.6%

That contact patch lets you run at a lower pressure but also probably results in a more tire deflection. If we were to calculate the 'trivial volume' difference in percentages, it would also be quite large.

Weight has very little to do with it. A supple casing, especially if used with a thin tread requires less effort to roll down the road. But some tires have a stiff casing, or a thick tread, or a layer of soft rubber that consumes a lot of energy as you flex it, those tires are slower.
Bingo. IMO, if you're already moving, then you don't need to worry about acceleration all that much and air resistance is negligible given the surface area of your body plus your gear. But if you're working against a soft tire which is deflecting a lot, you're expending more energy to go the same speed. Yes, you can be fast on thick, flexible, or knobby tires, but the question is does it make you more tired in the end? A stiffer, thicker tire can ride as well or better than a soft, thinner - or underinflated - tire.
Tourists don't usually use power meters... so you wouldn't know it in the field. but if you wanted to do an experiment, take the thicker, flexier tire and do a 3-5 mile ride at, I don't know, 150 watts (or whatever round number you can hold that long). Then switch to thinner tire and under the same conditions repeat the ride with the same wattage. Compare the speeds. Or do it backwards, ride at the same speed and compare the wattage.
Old 06-15-18, 09:13 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Bigger = Better, IMHO. Currently running 29er 3.0 and 2.6 tires on the Karate Monkey. Big guy, full load, cushier ride. This summer my travels will see all kinds of riding surfaces, dirt, single track, dirt roads, gravel and pave. Last year I used the geax tattoo, a sort of slick that were 29 x 2.3, great tires.
Old 06-15-18, 09:57 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Ride quality isn’t entirely a function of weight.
Old 06-15-18, 10:04 AM
LeeG

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I ride 1.75", if my bike could handle it, I would go 2". When it comes to touring, for me comfort is more important than speed

On my 26” wheel LHT 1.75” tires hit the best compromise for comfort, load carrying and unloaded speed. I tried some nice rding 2.0” tires, chunky 1.75” tires, fast 1.75” tires and fast 1.5” tires.
Old 06-15-18, 12:18 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
+1 ^^^

I find 26x1.75 a good all-purpose tire, 26x2.0 good for off-pavement, otherwise rotating mass/pedaling effort penalty. On pavement, unloaded, 26x1.5 is sweet spot, while anything < 26x1.4 has significantly shorter lifespan.
Old 06-15-18, 01:14 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Bingo. IMO, if you're already moving, then you don't need to worry about acceleration all that much and air resistance is negligible given the surface area of your body plus your gear. But if you're working against a soft tire which is deflecting a lot, you're expending more energy to go the same speed. Yes, you can be fast on thick, flexible, or knobby tires, but the question is does it make you more tired in the end? A stiffer, thicker tire can ride as well or better than a soft, thinner - or underinflated - tire.
Actually, if using the same pressure, tires of identical size will have to deflect a roughly identical amount to create a contact patch the correct size to hold the same weight, so a tire with a thicker tread or casing or flat-resistant layer will almost definitely use more energy and give a rougher ride than a thinner more flexible tire.

Of course, if you are using lightweight tires and get seven flats per hundred km, you will be much more comfortable and less tired using a tire with flat protection, but for reasons other than 'ride quality'.
Old 06-15-18, 01:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
more tire bounce?
Old 06-15-18, 03:02 PM
Mikarad

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the bigger question is what kind of surfaces will you be riding on and how much weight are you carrying. My salsa marrakesh came with 40mm marathon pluses. changed them out for a few different types of tires due to they're weight. I only use 38, 40mm tires right now. I recently finished a 6 day 900Km tour in Ontario and my ride had a mixture of good pavement, really bad pavement and, and about 100Km of gravel. There were a few times i wished i had bigger tires. the 700x38 tires i used held up but i really think that a 40, 42mm on the right rim would be the best option. Going for light weight while touring to me is kind of silly. I don't want a puncture going down a rough hilly road loaded down. Touring isn't supposed to be fast anyway
Old 06-15-18, 06:26 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

Ride quality isn’t entirely a function of weight.
True. I was thinking about getting some Almotions (38mm) but was put off because of the weight, but if you say they're noticeably better riding than Mondials, then I might reconsider.
Old 06-16-18, 05:40 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
This spring I did several Randonneuring rides of 300-400 km (in one day) using Rat Trap Paas tires (26 x 2.3) and my experience was that they may feel slow, but in fact on pavement they are not slow at all, whereas on rougher surfaces they are a lot faster than thinner tires. The guys I was riding with are usually a lot faster than I, but on the rough surface they could not keep up; they were riding 38mm and 42mm tires.

Of course Randonneuring is not the same as touring; and not every tire is as fast as a Rat Trap Pass; but I'd say there is no downside to such a fat tire.

For what it's worth, I have not found those tires to be prone to flats, either; rather less so than other tires on my experience.
Old 06-16-18, 09:39 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
of course Randonneuring is not the same as touring
Nah, it's far more kickass, and if theyre used there I've got no leg to stand on complaining
Old 06-16-18, 10:23 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Nah, it's far more kickass, and if theyre used there I've got no leg to stand on complaining
Well, I should add: I'm an outlier. I haven't seen anyone else riding such fat tires. Most riders still subscribe to the idea that a thin high pressure tire is faster, and it's hard to persuade anyone to the contrary. Thin high pressure tires definitely feel faster, and that's often all it takes to convince people.

Jan Heine has made a diligent attempt to test different tires in an objective way, and (predictably) people question his methods, his results, or even his motives (he is in the business of selling expensive tires, after all).

I don't know. All I can say is: I have not found fast fat to be a disadvantage.

Last edited by rhm; 06-17-18 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 08:26 AM
LeeG

True. I was thinking about getting some Almotions (38mm) but was put off because of the weight, but if you say they're noticeably better riding than Mondials, then I might reconsider.
same here, they are pricey and not light but felt a lot softer/more comfy for unloaded riding than the Mondials with same psi.
Old 06-19-18, 08:38 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts

same here, they are pricey and not light but felt a lot softer/more comfy for unloaded riding than the Mondials with same psi.
I have enjoyed my 26 x 2.15" Almotions as tubeless tires. They did feel heavy and stiff to me when I was putting them on, but I feel like running them tubeless helped, and I've been happy with them, but if I found another tubeless tire with similar size and tread, I'd be willing to try it. If I were going back to tubes, I think I'd switch back to the Big Bens that the Almotions replaced.
Old 06-19-18, 06:16 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts

When you are rolling down the road at 13 miles per hour, you are flexing approximately 20 feet of tire casing on each your front and rear tires during every second. If that is not a very flexible tire then that consumes a lot of energy. I have some older Schwalbe Marathon Dureme tires, that model is now discontinued., They are size 26X2.0 and were sold as a durable touring tire for rough areas and poor quality pavement. For a thick treaded tire, they roll quite well, in part because of the supple sidewall and casing. Later I thought I was buying another one of the same tires on-line, but this one was one of their tandem rated tires and I did not know that until I received it. (The Dureme came in both a solo bike version and a more robust tandem bike version.) The tandem rated one had a very stiff sidewall and stiff casing. Both tires look the same, both are the same size. But the tandem one is very slow compared to the other one.
I'm one of the lucky or unlucky few who have a pair of Dureme tires. Can you please share how I might understand whether or not I have the tandem version? Because I have a tandem. Thanks.
Old 06-19-18, 08:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I'm one of the lucky or unlucky few who have a pair of Dureme tires. Can you please share how I might understand whether or not I have the tandem version? Because I have a tandem. Thanks.
Mine says Tandem Ready in red on the sidewall.
Old 06-19-18, 10:10 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Mine says Tandem Ready in red on the sidewall.
Well then. I guess I'll leave them on my single bike. Thanks for the information. I guess they're just slow. Oh well. My 700x35c Clements were worn out but I waa never in a hurry, anyway. I use the tire liners that only recently caused a leak in the rear tire. I put the 700x40c Duremes on to replace the Clements.