Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Spoke count

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Spoke count

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 07:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
Max weight will be around 275lbs including bike, rider and cargo. God help me if it gets more than that, lol.

I'm really liking the looks of the H+Sons TB14. I have their Archerype rim on one of my other bikes and have been impressed with their quality. The Velocity A23/A23OC looks promising as well. Will probably match with 700x32/35 tires.

Reading one of Cycocommute's old posts has sold me on triple butted spokes as well.

Not really planning on offroading except for gravelpack but will see where the road takes me (that's the point right ).

Will be going on a 1983 Specialized Expedition that I happily accidented upon so will probably require re-spacing of the rear dropouts regardless.

Reason for the wheel change is multilayered which would take us way off on tagential subjects I think.
​​
I'm a little late to the party but If you haven't seen it, this sums up what I learned long before Hjertberg wrote the article. Your LBS can also buy individual DT Alpines III (in black only) from QBP. They cost about $1.50 which is roughly $0.50 more than double butted spokes. You can get silver ones from Rose Bikes for slightly less but they charge $15 for shipping. Alternatively, you can get silver Pillar spokes from BDop for about $1 each. I've built with both without issues.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-19-18, 01:44 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
In 2005-6 I inherited some $$ and had a custom made steel framed touring bicycle built (including the hand-made custom racks). The wheels have 48 spoke PW hubs that I purchased new on eBay. The 26" wheels are incredibly heavy, but incredibly strong and have resisted being tacoed several times.

If I had to do it again, I would not change very much - maybe the colour. The components (including bar-end shifters and Brooks saddle) would NOT change. I have seen brifters die in the middle of outback Australia (where I tour) and those fellows got bar-ends when they got to Cairns and Katherine...
Old 07-24-18, 09:45 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by zze86
For fully loaded touring, it seems like 40 spokes used to be the standard. The manufacturers seemed to have moved away from 40 and onto max of 36 judging by the availability of commonly available hubs.

For fuller loaded touring (say 250lbs rider and cargo), is it still recommended to get 40+ spokes or has the tech improvement in wheels negated that?

I have a couple pairs of 32h Ultegra hubs just sitting in storage, can a competent touring wheel be made with that spoke count?
40 spokes wasn’t the standard, it was an option just like 48. 36 is fine. I’d suggest 25-28 mm wide rims. No need to obsess.