Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Narrower tire consequences?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Narrower tire consequences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 08:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Yep -- 50-584 is the ISO/ETRTO designation. It's virtually impossible to confuse tire sizes using that nomenclature because it includes both the width of the tire (50mm) and the bead seat diameter of the wheel (584mm), unlike traditional naming conventions which referred to a general overall diameter of the wheel and tire, and often grouped wheels with differing bead seats together if they were paired with tires with similar overall diameters.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-08-19, 12:12 PM
SuperRecord

Bikes: Giant ARX2...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Courtesy Update

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yep -- 50-584 is the ISO/ETRTO designation. It's virtually impossible to confuse tire sizes using that nomenclature because it includes both the width of the tire (50mm) and the bead seat diameter of the wheel (584mm), unlike traditional naming conventions which referred to a general overall diameter of the wheel and tire, and often grouped wheels with differing bead seats together if they were paired with tires with similar overall diameters.
I'm appreciating the education. I'm still knocking about on the originals. Also I swapped the front and rear to even the wear out.

I halved my normal max. road pressures the other day so that I was able to amble along the local single track. This was a much appreciated changeup from my regular route; still, I have become wise to the genius of a suspension bike.
Old 07-08-19, 03:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,925 Times in 2,553 Posts
SuperRecord, I don't know what your "scud" looks like but I ride the Panaracer Pasela off road and haven't had any issues. I hear the Gravel Kings are a step up from the Paselas in off road reliabilty. I also hear that the Marathons are a lot less fun and a lot more work to ride on the road. Consider trying the Gravel Kings first. That way, if you cannot handle the flats, it was just a fun but short ride. Starting with the Marathons, it could be a long time before you have warn the tires enough to justify going to a tire that is actually fun.

The other life sentence. Riding slow tires until they wear out.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-08-19, 05:45 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
There was a day when the Velox fabric rim strip was the unquestionable standard. If you didn't have it, you probably had a crappy wheel and a rubber band around the rim.

With the tubeless revolution, this isn't the case anymore. That fabric strip is just too fat. It's in the way and it makes life hard. Even if you don't run tubeless. Stans tape or equivalent, 2 layers thick, and life will be good.