Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Over-40 eyeglass wearers: Sport glasses / Progressives + Monovision, what combo?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Over-40 eyeglass wearers: Sport glasses / Progressives + Monovision, what combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 08:08 AM
MoonJW

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always worn glasses for distance, but have now aged into needing reading glasses as well. (Contacts aren't an option for me for reasons that are too boring to describe.)

I'm in the minority in the sense that I use monovision lenses — that is, one lens for reading, one for distance; many contact lens wearers do this, but not many glasses wearers do.

For obvious reasons related to depth perception, monovision glasses aren't ideal for cycling. So now, I'm looking into investing in a pair of prescription cycling glasses and would love to hear people's favorite solutions.

Distance vision is a priority for me, but I'd also like to be able to read a handlebar mounted map, and/or my phone or cycling computer.

My questions:

— People who need glasses for distance and reading: do you opt for favoring distance, or do you use progressives or bifocals?
— Users of Oakley's cycling specific glasses, how do you like them?
Old 04-09-15, 06:44 PM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear progressives off the bike. On the bike I wear single vision lenses for distance, Oakleys with lenses from SportRx. My near vision is good enough that I can look under the lenses to read the Garmin.
Old 04-09-15, 06:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
My most recent pair of glasses is progressives. It took a while to get used to as the ground in front of me is always out of focus If I was doing bike only glasses, I would very much consider distance only glasses, and skip the progressives. Just make do with the near vision.

I don't have "sports glasses". However, I've started buying Safety glasses.

So, I now have:
  • Progressive
  • Photo Grey
  • Astigmatism (does that make a difference for glasses, it does for contacts).
  • Glass Lenses (mine have never been too heavy).
  • Safety Glasses.
  • With spring temples (and fairly nice frames).
I was bummed when I didn't get the $59 special
Old 04-10-15, 06:22 AM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have progressive Oakleys the 00Red Iridium lens works best for all around cycling - good in low and bright light. The cycling specific lenses you are referring to, I think are the new priszm lenses, they are not available in RX until late 2015. I held off for a few years as the progressive option is north of $700.00/pair but when I got them - first thing I noticed was I should have done it 2 yrs ago. You can also look at Rudy project as they have a scratch replacement warranty on RX lens for 1 yr. I would order them through an Optometry dealer rather than online, this way you will get lens layout measured and set up for cycling.
Old 04-11-15, 05:12 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I have stick-on bifocals on my distance inserts. I kept trimming them down with a razor blade until only the width of the bars is in close focus.

Trimmed, these stick-ons are small, approx 12mm high x 16 mm wide. (about 1/2 inch x 5/8 inch)

It's actually only one of the two stick-ons, cut in half, then trimmed some more. They work great, and have never come off, even when rinsing under the kitchen tap. They would have to be peeled off by prying up a corner with a fingernail.

When I got these Rudy Project clip in lenses, I could get by without bifocals, so the clip-ons are distance lenses. They clip on inside my Rudy Rydon sunglasses.

Then I got progressive bifocals as my every day glasses a few years ago, I asked the optometrist what reading glasses would go with my old distance lenses. These are +2 stick-on bifocals. It took a few rides before I stopped seeing the line in my vision between the two focus distances. Now my eyes instantly adapt whenever I switch between progressive or bifocal.

I had to have the original clip-on lenses redone, since I'm looking upward through the lenses, and the inserts are tilted inward on the sides from the shape of the sunglasses. That changes the prescription. The original set was too distorted to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150409_205924.jpg (13.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-11-15 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 05:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Progressives are very poor for peripheral vision. I use a helmet mounted mirror. When I had progressives, the view behind was not much better than without glasses. A switch to bi-focals was a big step up. Now I can see behind as clearly as in my car (better in bad weather!) My peripheral vision all around is also much better. (I had my eyes checked yesterday for new glasses. I passed that test with flying colors. Why discard that with my glasses?)

Ben
Old 04-12-15, 05:47 AM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wear progressives off the bike. I need them mostly for reading, a little for midrange distances. On the bike I have been wearing those from

Dual Eyewear Bifocal Sunglasses - Official Site

I find them to be a great option, enabling me to read the bike computer and whatever other things I need to see a close range.
Old 04-12-15, 05:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Progressives tri focals for me.

Night rider so No Dark Tint.

Old 04-12-15, 11:10 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to glasses. I need them for reading and for a slight astigmatism. I have progressives in my everyday glasses and I got a pair of prescription Rudy Project Rydons that I really like. That makes me a happy guy and I'd highly recommend them. They are light, they give great protection and the Impact-X material that they use for lenses are fantastic for their clarity.

What I did learn is that stay away from the photosensitive lenses. They tend to be really, really thick and they don't seem to work all that well. Polarizers are ok, but you're going to have to be careful at the eye doctor because it seems that it is a bit tough to get the polarizer put on the lens when there is a curved lens. Check the lenses carefully before you accept them.

I first tried the glasses insert and hated them. The glasses get heavy with them and if your glasses fog up then so do both sides of the insert - it's a mess. They are in the drawer for emergency use only - and maybe not even then.

I don't notice any loss of peripheral vision with the type of progressives I have. So that was never an issue.

J.