Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which freewheel removal tool, and how to dissemble a freewheel assembly

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 01:51 PM
Hatchet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Two part question:

It looks like I’ll be adding another freewheel removal tool to my collection – which one do I need to remove this one (taken off a 1973 Schwinn Varsity)?

I’ve partially taken it apart (see last pic) – how do I complelely disassemble it? At this stage would two chain whips do the trick (once I've removed it from the wheel)?

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180408_152401.jpg (636.7 KB, 123 views)
20180408_152410.jpg (594.5 KB, 121 views)
20180408_152445.jpg (420.4 KB, 122 views)
20180408_153448.jpg (800.9 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-08-18, 01:54 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...icle-section-2

FR-4
Old 04-08-18, 02:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Guess... Atom..??
but to be sure take wheel to bike shop, they should have a collection, already,

You will most likely need to remove the axle, from the opposite end..

with the tool in the bench vise, you , and maybe 2 of you, unscrew the wheel by the rim..

Then have the shop order another of that one that fits

there is an old one for shimano too, you definitely need the axle out, then.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-08-18 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-08-18, 02:34 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchet
Two part question:

It looks like I’ll be adding another freewheel removal tool to my collection – which one do I need to remove this one (taken off a 1973 Schwinn Varsity)?
Yes, Atom. The Park FR-4 will work. Atom's own remover seems pretty easy to find too.

I’ve partially taken it apart (see last pic) – how do I complelely disassemble it? At this stage would two chain whips do the trick (once I've removed it from the wheel)?
IIRC the top two cogs are threaded, but not together. The last three are splined. So yes, with two chain whips, take off the top cog first, then the next, and you should be good to go.
Old 04-08-18, 03:23 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Two part question:

Thanks,
Dave
What do intend to disassemble? If you mean you want to remove the cogs from the body, go right ahead. Two chain whips are what you need. On the other hand, they've been there for almost 50 years. They won't be easy to budge.

If you want to disassemble the freewheel body- I wouldn't. There are a bazillion 1/8" ball bearings in there and they are pretty tough to put back in place once they're loose.

Back in the day we would "overhaul" those Schwinn/Atom freewheels by removing the plastic seal which is visible around the removal splines. Just pry it up with a small screwdriver- it should pop right out. (There may be a plastic seal on the back side, too. Check once you have it off the wheel.) Then clean the whole thing thoroughly by soaking it in solvent (kerosene works), let the solvent drip out, and lube the bearings with medium-weight oil. Spin the freewheel a couple times to work the excess oil out, pop the seals back on, and it'll be good for another 50 years.

Pastor Bob may have better instructions about doing this. He hangs out on the C&V forum and he might have already published a "how-to".

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-08-18, 04:04 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
That's a Schwinn Approved Model J (Japan, made by Shimano) and the FR-4 is indeed the correct tool. To remove the cogs I secure the freewheel to a board with screws in-between the teeth of the outer cog and use a single chain whip to remove the inner two threaded on cogs. The outer 3 are splined and will then slide off.

Old 04-08-18, 04:15 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I would specifically advise against overhauling that freewheel, as it is likely worn on the smaller cogs. I say pitch it.
Old 04-08-18, 04:40 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Metacortex
That's a Schwinn Approved Model J (Japan, made by Shimano) and the FR-4 is indeed the correct tool. To remove the cogs I secure the freewheel to a board with screws in-between the teeth of the outer cog and use a single chain whip to remove the inner two threaded on cogs. The outer 3 are splined and will then slide off.
You're right, I just now noticed the "Japan" mark on the plastic cap. Good catch.
Old 04-08-18, 04:55 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Thanks!
Old 04-08-18, 04:56 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
A Guess... Atom..??
but to be sure take wheel to bike shop, they should have a collection, already,

You will most likely need to remove the axle, from the opposite end..

with the tool in the bench vise, you , and maybe 2 of you, unscrew the wheel by the rim..

Then have the shop order another of that one that fits

there is an old one for shimano too, you definitely need the axle out, then.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind when removing it.
Old 04-08-18, 04:56 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
Yes, Atom. The Park FR-4 will work. Atom's own remover seems pretty easy to find too.

IIRC the top two cogs are threaded, but not together. The last three are splined. So yes, with two chain whips, take off the top cog first, then the next, and you should be good to go.
Thanks - just ordered the FR-4.
Old 04-08-18, 04:59 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
What do intend to disassemble? If you mean you want to remove the cogs from the body, go right ahead. Two chain whips are what you need. On the other hand, they've been there for almost 50 years. They won't be easy to budge.

If you want to disassemble the freewheel body- I wouldn't. There are a bazillion 1/8" ball bearings in there and they are pretty tough to put back in place once they're loose.
Not planning to disassemble the freewheel body - I know they are full of a ton of small ball bearings. Just looking to take the cogs off to convert to a single speed.
Old 04-08-18, 05:00 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip - this sounds like several other freewheels I've disassembled.
Old 04-08-18, 05:06 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip - this sounds like several other freewheels I've disassembled.
Old 04-08-18, 05:16 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Hatchet;20272398]

Not planning to disassemble the freewheel body - I know they are full of a ton of small ball bearings. Just looking to take the cogs off to convert to a single speed.
Why not just buy a single speed freewheel?
Old 04-08-18, 07:00 PM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Ghrumpy;20272429]
Why not just buy a single speed freewheel?
I could do that, but don't have a good enough truing stand to accurately re-dish the wheel.
Old 04-08-18, 08:47 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
[QUOTE=Hatchet;20272598]
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy

I could do that, but don't have a good enough truing stand to accurately re-dish the wheel.
Many truing stands cannot be trusted for measuring dish. But all you need are three items of equal height on which you can rest the wheel, a table or other large flat surface, and a short stick or even a piece of cardboard. Set the supports under the rim about equidistant apart. Then mark the distance from the outside of the locknut to the table. Flip the wheel and do the same. If the 2nd measurement is larger you need to move the rim to the side that is down, if smaller then the other way. Keep in mind you only have to move it 1/2 the difference.

On the other hand, when using a wheel designed for a multi-speed freewheel one has to plan ahead as to what chainline is needed. A one speed freewheel may end up too far in, for example.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 04-08-18 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-08-18, 09:50 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
[QUOTE=cny-bikeman;20272773]
Many truing stands cannot be trusted for measuring dish. But all you need are three items of equal height on which you can rest the wheel, a table or other large flat surface, and a short stick or even a piece of cardboard. Set the supports under the rim about equidistant apart. Then mark the distance from the outside of the locknut to the table. Flip the wheel and do the same. If the 2nd measurement is larger you need to move the rim to the side that is down, if smaller then the other way. Keep in mind you only have to move it 1/2 the difference.

On the other hand, when using a wheel designed for a multi-speed freewheel one has to plan ahead as to what chainline is needed. A one speed freewheel may end up too far in, for example.
I agree. I re-dished a multi-speed rear wheel for a single-speed freewheel using this method. I have a truing stand, but it doesn't self-dish (for lack of a better term).

Besides, if you remove the other cogs, the only cog suitable for single-speed use would be the #2, 17-tooth cog. You won't end up with a straight chainline with that.

If you're converting a Varsity to single-speed your best bet is to remove the freewheel, install a single-cog freewheel, and re-dish the wheel to straighten the chainline. The rear wheel won't be 100% dish-less, but it will work.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 04-08-18 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 03:57 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Phil Wood made a tool for Atom freewheels which did not require the removal of the axle.
Likely still available.
Old 04-09-18, 07:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
[QUOTE=Hatchet;20272398]
Just looking to take the cogs off to convert to a single speed.
No need to remove cogs for that reason. Just pick the cog you want to run and trim the chain to fit.
Old 04-09-18, 07:56 AM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=cny-bikeman;20272773]

Thanks for that tip - I hadn't heard of it before, and it makes complete sense.
Old 04-09-18, 07:58 AM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Jeff Wills;20272853]
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman

I agree. I re-dished a multi-speed rear wheel for a single-speed freewheel using this method. I have a truing stand, but it doesn't self-dish (for lack of a better term).

Besides, if you remove the other cogs, the only cog suitable for single-speed use would be the #2, 17-tooth cog. You won't end up with a straight chainline with that.

If you're converting a Varsity to single-speed your best bet is to remove the freewheel, install a single-cog freewheel, and re-dish the wheel to straighten the chainline. The rear wheel won't be 100% dish-less, but it will work.

Thanks - are there any single-cog freewheels you'd recommend?
Old 04-09-18, 08:03 AM
Hatchet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=JohnDThompson;20273297]

No need to remove cogs for that reason. Just pick the cog you want to run and trim the chain to fit.
I have done that before on a different bike, but it looks like a sloppily half-finished job. Just a personal preference.
Old 04-09-18, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Many truing stands cannot be trusted for measuring dish.
Most people don't trust truing stands to measure dish but even a cheap Sunlite truing stand can easily be used for measuring dish. The more expensive Park stands do it automatically and easily as long as someone has calibrated the stand. All too often the calibration step is forgotten.

But all you need are three items of equal height on which you can rest the wheel, a table or other large flat surface, and a short stick or even a piece of cardboard. Set the supports under the rim about equidistant apart. Then mark the distance from the outside of the locknut to the table. Flip the wheel and do the same. If the 2nd measurement is larger you need to move the rim to the side that is down, if smaller then the other way. Keep in mind you only have to move it 1/2 the difference.
Way too elaborate. If you have a touring stand that doesn't measure the dish or one that is suspect, simply flip the wheel over in the stand without moving the caliper arms (or the screws in the case of the Sunlite type stands). Even if you are using the frame, you can flip the wheel around without moving whatever you are using to gauge the true.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-09-18, 10:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
are there any single-cog freewheels you'd recommend?
Shimano BMX freewheels are widely available and affordable. Just be sure to get one that fits a road hub, not the undersize BMX-only hubs. The road hub compatible BMX freewheels have a smallest tooth count of 16 teeth, due to the space required to accommodate the ratchet mechanism. Smaller tooth count single freewheels will likely not fit on a road hub (I seem to recall a couple obscure non-Shimano exceptions to this, but they tend to be rare and expensive).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.