Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Thetouringstore.com is Closing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 11:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts

Read about it here and check out the sales:

https://thetouringstore.com/thetouri...osing-details/

Wayne provided great customer service before and after the sale. Wish him well in whatever he does down the road.
Old 07-27-18, 12:26 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Never heard of this site - what a shame. Lone Peak panniers are the best!
Old 07-27-18, 12:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I suppose he has had business taken away from him, by Bezos..
Old 07-27-18, 01:24 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I bought Ortleib panniers from Wayne. Maybe we’ll see him on the road some day.
Old 07-27-18, 04:03 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I bought my panniers and handlebar bag from him. He was so patient with a wet behind the ears bike tourer.

It is going to be extremely difficult to replacate his service. Doubtful is it is possible.
Old 07-27-18, 05:53 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I suppose he has had business taken away from him, by Bezos..
Read the explanation. He's 63 and has been running the place for 15 years. Time for something else, like touring, which he told me he actually does instead of talking about what he did way back when, like you do. Sounds like he's made enough to now take more time off. Good for him.
Old 07-27-18, 06:05 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Kind of surprised he’s not selling the business. Seems as though the goodwill and industry contacts would be worth something.
Old 07-27-18, 07:16 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by alan s
Kind of surprised he’s not selling the business. Seems as though the goodwill and industry contacts would be worth something.
His business was different. The value of the company was Wayne. Everyone in the touring community knows that. Now Wayne is retiring. The only thing left is the domain name and a few left over odds and ends.
Old 07-27-18, 07:30 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

He probably should have brought on a younger partner 4-5 years ago and groomed them then the store would have had lasting value. Maybe some named Garth.

But I still say "Party on Wayne"!
Old 07-27-18, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Wayne was a really good dude, I talked with him for a long long time about my rando bag set up and just general odds and ends and he was really knowledgeable and a great guy to talk with. I hope it wasn't Bezos and co. doing him in and I hope he gets to enjoy many tours (or one big one) in his time off and enjoys the heck out of life.
Old 07-27-18, 09:04 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
I haven't done a lot of shopping at thetouringstore, but the few interactions I've had with Wayne have been great. Sorry to see him close up shop (before I am able to gear up for a big tour that I'd like to do some day), but I did my best -it wasn't much, but the bag's been on my wish list for a while- to contribute to his retirement this evening. All the best to him.
Old 07-27-18, 10:07 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
TheTouringStore is one of the very places that still sells the discontinued Tubus Logo Titan(ium) rear rack plus it's on sale for $255. Logo Titan is reasonably strong w/66 lb capacity but is almost a half-pound lighter than the steel version & is also more than a pound lighter than some other makers' racks.

Good luck to Wayne. Would be interesting to see what he tours with since he has knowledge of & access to top-quality stuff.
Old 07-27-18, 10:54 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
This is very sad news. I purchased a few items from Wayne and he was always easy to talk with and gave great and accurate advice. I never felt that he rushed the conversation and he often kept it going by showing an interest in me and my riding. I wish I had met him and hope to meet him on the road. He will be missed.

When I last spoke with him I joked that I have no idea how he stays in business. Everything he sells is top quality and likely will never need replacement and even if something finally wore out, it would be many many years before a replacement was necessary. Repeat business every 5-10 years is not an ideal business model.

I wish him the best and hope he finds happiness as he moves on.
Old 07-27-18, 11:21 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I purchased a front rack, a set of four panniers, handlebar bag and three saddle bags. Wayne was really great. I looked forward to talking to him as well as purchasing from him. I hope he's happy with whatever he does.
Old 07-28-18, 04:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Maybe some named Garth.
At one point he had an assistant with an unusual name. IIRC, it was something "Carmack" (sp?) of "Cormick."
Old 07-28-18, 04:15 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I bought my panniers and handlebar bag from him. He was so patient with a wet behind the ears bike tourer.

It is going to be extremely difficult to replacate his service. Doubtful is it is possible.

Sadly, I agree.

My experience with Wayne had been exceptional. I wish him well in his new venture.
Old 07-28-18, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
63 , a youngster,

OK, maybe it's time for him to go on some bike tours, some where...
Old 07-28-18, 08:23 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
He always did well by me. It was so nice to be able to speak with someone who had an intimate knowledge of the products he sold and how they could be adapted to my specific needs. Best wishes in retirement.
Old 07-28-18, 09:39 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I'm just going to join the chorus, Wayne ran an awesome operation and I hope he enjoys his retirement.
Thanks for all the great service, Wayne.
Old 08-02-18, 06:12 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Maybe it is time to kick him some business and pick up some matching front Ortliebs before orange becomes impossible to find! His store always intrigued me, even if I generally opted for the convenience of a shopping cart.
Old 08-02-18, 06:39 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Four summers ago my wife and I started our cross country tour. My wife found she really needed to have front panniers and a rack. A call to Wayne and he sent thmt to a bike shop on our route with extra bits of hardware.
I work in a bike shop pt and when people are getting into touring I had sent them to Wayne as we never carried enough product.
Old 08-03-18, 09:59 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have complete sets of Lone Peak bags in different colors I bought from Wayne. Bits and pieces from the Touring Store have been with me on every tour I've taken. Wayne and his exceptional products and customer service will be sorely missed. I also enjoyed our telephone chats whenever I called to order something. This is like losing a part of bicycle touring legend.
I wish him the very best and thank him for a job well done.
Old 08-03-18, 07:08 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Bon voyage Wayne on your next trip.
Old 08-03-18, 07:17 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Wayne has been a wonderful asset to the touring community.

Happy trails to Wayne
Old 08-03-18, 10:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
When looking to invest in a business the new potential owner has to look at what is the "branding" of the business. Is it a commodity like one where the product is a low cost or a relationship one where the value added by the personality is the real product. I never did business with Wayne (being in the LBS industry I have little need for the usual on line store) but know friends who have and they all mentioned Wayne's manor and efforts to best insure that the customer was going to have the best touring experience that Wayne could help with. It's been my pleasure to work for (and manage employees of when I was the shop owner) shops that knew the staff's experience and effort was the product.

We have a LBS here in Rochester that has been on the market for a couple of years. (And I worked there for a year over 30 years ago) with no real takers. He is the shop. It isn't the bike or bag brands he sells that's why people have supported his shop for so long. I fully suspect that the potential business buyers know this. So much of what a new owner counts on is the shop's "good will". When that is no longer there (and not saying that a new owner will have "bad will", just that the "main man" will be missing) the value of the shop drops.

Do we really know if Wayne offered his shop to the marketplace? This isn't something usually openly talked about till long after the deal is done, or the shop closed down. I did much of the same with my shop. Looked for a buyer, entertained a couple of not real offers and sold off 90% of the inventory, got my security deposit back (after 15 years of renting), and walked away owing no one any money. I felt that controlling my "good will" that I had developed within my area was more important than a few thousand dollars was. But we all make big decisions with different motives.

Wayne- I wish you well and hope to see you down the road someday. Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.