Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

NTN in Marquette, MI needs your help to save some trails (NTN)

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 06:54 PM
sporkfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

Full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with the Noquemenon Trail Network and do not have any stake in the non-profit. I also do not currently live in Marquette, but did in the past. I am a mountain biker, and the NTN trails were my introduction to the sport and gave me the passion I have for cycling today. Without the NTN I'd be less healthy, I wouldn't have found my place working in bike shops, and quite frankly it would have changed my career trajectory in all likelihood. Biking is part of who I am, and those trails are a major part of my person past and present. I still travel to the U.P. to see family, and I ALWAYS bring my mountain bike during the spring/summer/fall. If I had a fat bike I'd bring that in the winters and ride the snow bike trails.

Enough about me - I'm posting because the city of Marquette is pulling their usual idiotic planning garbage, and are in the process of selling land to developers which major portions of the NTN sits on. This would ultimately result in the destruction of the trails as we know them today. I am here to ask for your help in reaching out to the city of Marquette and the officials to voice your concern, even as a non-resident. They are attempting to compare the 660 registered members of the NTN non-profit as an indicator of the number of individuals using the trails. This is the equivalent of saying the number of contributors to NPR is equal to the number of listeners - that's obviously an incredibly inaccurate comparison.

So, what can you do? Well, for starters if you ride in Marquette, MI and have used the South trails even once a year, put in your two cents
=68.ARCO0WENGRvrzj4l_L51YHVAXxv-JZveGSNu-G3KA7EEoi8DB4C2LzG3aLEBexztDmZzqUA-VvF5UFgb-eCMHPWW9yLNsoKKWsGaYOnp-qZogyP6ImR6VmPyCgyxJYx0c-UbcTJwiU1cCrCuau7Dc1VgOwjIEyA8YeafXJvHLVxBfxaQiNrWXBhUjlgpCFbrcxcnYY05nGYdWLxuIz1fLtg&__tn__=-UC-R]HERE " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
=68.ARCO0WENGRvrzj4l_L51YHVAXxv-JZveGSNu-G3KA7EEoi8DB4C2LzG3aLEBexztDmZzqUA-VvF5UFgb-eCMHPWW9yLNsoKKWsGaYOnp-qZogyP6ImR6VmPyCgyxJYx0c-UbcTJwiU1cCrCuau7Dc1VgOwjIEyA8YeafXJvHLVxBfxaQiNrWXBhUjlgpCFbrcxcnYY05nGYdWLxuIz1fLtg&__tn__=-UC-R]HERE " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
. Let the politicians in Marquette, MI know how damaging this will be to their tourist draw. Mountain bikers make up a huge portion of those who travel to the area in the summer, and I don't think they realize the impact. Let them know!
Old 11-07-18, 10:28 PM
jetmech737

Bikes: CAAD 8, Specialized Transition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll do my part. The South Trails were my first introduction to "real" mountain biking and I always bring my mountain bike when visiting the UP.