Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized dropping women road specific designs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Specialized dropping women road specific designs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
True and I remember them, but not set up with Nuovo Record and tubulars on Mavic GP4s, or that kind of quality. And a mixte, while technically a bike with a slanted top tube, is, I suspect, not what the poster I was responding to hand in mind.
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
If it wasn't pink, I would definitely think that was a man's bike with the horizontal top tube.
I interpreted that to mean "not a mixte".

The above bike doesn't appear to have Nuovo Record.

There were several very nice Mixte bikes offered, but generally only with second tier bikes, not top tier bikes.

But, for big manufactures, the Motobecane Grand Jubilee had a mixte variant which is quite nice.

And, some posters have found some unique Italian step-through bikes.

One issue, of course, is that many of the "women's bikes" are shorter. That pink bike looks like it is a pretty tall frame. 60cm?

And, of course, it is more difficult to find high quality tall vintage mixtes. I think someone mentioned looking in Holland.

Nonetheless, those sizes may well be one of the core issues with women's bikes vs men's bikes. Is it easier to sell a tall men's bike to a tall woman than it is to sell a short women's bike to a short man?

Greater frame variety is good. If only Specialized does something like the "Project One" that would also allow specifying the color choice (not black)
Old 04-19-19, 03:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Sales and the bottom line (profits) are what matters to the bicycle company. I’m assuming women’s specific bikes were not selling enough to justify production. Why not make one bike in plenty of sizes so both men and women can ride it.
Because it's harder than it looks. Check out Georgena Terry's series on how to design and build bikes for women. She started the whole "women's specific design" and is still the only one who got it right.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Mixte and Step Through bikes. There were some quality ones, and many with drop bars.
Neither is a solution. Mixte frame are actually worse than a regular bike because the effective top tube is longer. You also have the addition of weight to a bike that is built for a rider who has a lower muscle mass ratio. The bike is both uncomfortable and heavier. That's not really all that conducive to riding enjoyment. Even with the mixte design, the bike is too large for many small riders.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-19-19, 03:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I interpreted that to mean "not a mixte".

The above bike doesn't appear to have Nuovo Record.

There were several very nice Mixte bikes offered, but generally only with second tier bikes, not top tier bikes.

But, for big manufactures, the Motobecane Grand Jubilee had a mixte variant which is quite nice.

And, some posters have found some unique Italian step-through bikes.

One issue, of course, is that many of the "women's bikes" are shorter. That pink bike looks like it is a pretty tall frame. 60cm?

And, of course, it is more difficult to find high quality tall vintage mixtes. I think someone mentioned looking in Holland.

Nonetheless, those sizes may well be one of the core issues with women's bikes vs men's bikes. Is it easier to sell a tall men's bike to a tall woman than it is to sell a short women's bike to a short man?

Greater frame variety is good. If only Specialized does something like the "Project One" that would also allow specifying the color choice (not black)
Yeah, your interpretation of the post may be correct. The bike was built as a road racer, back when it’s owner, who, I am proud say, has been my main squeeze for some 42 years, was a much younger woman.
Old 04-19-19, 03:31 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Because it's harder than it looks. Check out Georgena Terry's series on how to design and build bikes for women. She started the whole "women's specific design" and is still the only one who got it right.

Neither is a solution. Mixte frame are actually worse than a regular bike because the effective top tube is longer. You also have the addition of weight to a bike that is built for a rider who has a lower muscle mass ratio. The bike is both uncomfortable and heavier. That's not really all that conducive to riding enjoyment. Even with the mixte design, the bike is too large for many small riders.

Good Post!

thanks for this info
Old 04-19-19, 07:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Good Post!

thanks for this info
The other thing to consider is that the smallest Roubaix is a 49cm bike. That’s sized for someone who is about 5’4” to 5’5” tall. If Specialized is really dropping women’s bikes...they still list a number of “women’s” bikes..., that’s a giant step backwards by about 30 years. My 5’ tall wife has long suffered on the “smallest bike” that companies made. It wasn’t until we found Terry Bikes that she was actually comfortable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-19-19, 11:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts

Thank you for that.
Old 04-20-19, 01:13 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

I haven't looked in a while but I remember a number of mixte frames I looked at in the past were all basically just fancy loops - proportioned more towards women, with a relatively short virtual top tube. A few really high end ones I remember being better proportioned - but expensive. Which is a shame because I'd have liked one at the time!

M.
Old 04-20-19, 07:15 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sales and the bottom line (profits) are what matters to the bicycle company. I’m assuming women’s specific bikes were not selling enough to justify production. Why not make one bike in plenty of sizes so both men and women can ride it.
^^^^^This. Many corporations use Virtue Signaling to various groups to sell products. However, this is a cost cutting measure spun in the current wave of "Men and Women are exactly the same" mantra that is PC. I'd like to see the stats on bike riders by gender. I would bet the vast majority are Men.
Old 04-20-19, 08:27 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and has short legs and arms. We are usually looking at 47-48s when we go shopping. She is also drawn only to bikes with what might be consider a female colorway. Finding a prosumer level bike for her is tough enough and I fear that with the elimination of a women specific design it's going to make that field even smaller.
Old 04-20-19, 09:13 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Understood, but in 1985, you would never have seen a road bike with anything else.
Mrs. Road Fan has a fire-engine red 1997 Georgena Terry that has a horizontal top tube, both wheels 700c, and long chainstays. She also has a 2012 Georgena Terry with equal-wheels, with real long chainstays. More than the small front wheel, the Terry trick seems to be long chainstays. Some of her earlier ideas were pretty good - short reach bars and brake levers, narrow bars. My question is, if women "usually" have longer legs, why are the seat tubes so upright? And if they are so upright, why do the chainstays need to be so long?

Is it body weight distribution, women can't get 55%/45% without a steep seatpost and long chainstays?

Any body chime in on this?
Old 04-20-19, 09:15 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Korina
Thank you for that.
I like your signature!
Old 04-20-19, 03:07 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
The all flat-black 'men's' bikes are as ugly as sin, IMO. With my relatively long torso and short legs, WSD bikes aren't for me, but the colors are. Don't forget, at one point the charcoal gray suit with pink shirt was one of the most admired looks for men.
Old 04-20-19, 04:11 PM
Road Fan

The other thing to consider is that the smallest Roubaix is a 49cm bike. That’s sized for someone who is about 5’4” to 5’5” tall. If Specialized is really dropping women’s bikes...they still list a number of “women’s” bikes..., that’s a giant step backwards by about 30 years. My 5’ tall wife has long suffered on the “smallest bike” that companies made. It wasn’t until we found Terry Bikes that she was actually comfortable.
Mrs. Road Fan is 5'5" but loves her Terries. As I said, I grok the front end stuff that Ms. Terry did, but I don't get the long chainstays.

I've tried to put her on my Mondonico, Masi, and Trek 610. While she appreciates the riding qualities, she's back at home on her Terry. She's been intrigued by a Ruby, but maybe now it's not a deal to dol
Old 04-20-19, 04:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I like your signature!
Thanks, Road Fan, made it myself! And I've never seen anything to contradict it.

Regarding Terry bikes, have you tried asking her?
Old 04-20-19, 05:41 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Doesn't look girly to me...

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Unless it is a "girly" color, I don't think anyone would be able to tell. I do see Specialized point. If the bike fits, it fits. I do think mine looks kind of girly though. My husband has no desire to ride it. (And it would be too big for him).

But then again the old ex-Army Sgt rides this perfect fitting WSD 57cm Dolce with pint trim.
I admit I would prefer a bright Ford Mustang blue though!
Old 04-20-19, 07:55 PM
Road Fan

Thanks, Road Fan, made it myself! And I've never seen anything to contradict it.

Regarding Terry bikes, have you tried asking her?
You mean, Ms Terry, regarding the chainstays? I think we spoke about it when I ordered my wife's Cote Donana Vagabond (I had Georgena design it for my wife's retirement gift). We discussed a lot about geometry and design features and I thought we had discussed it, but I don't remember it all. That was already about 8 years ago. I should just ask her again. Mrs. Road Fan is thinking the geometry suits her less, now, as she becomes a more adventurous rider.

You sound like you might have had some discussions with Georgena Terry. I found her very accessible and supportive!
Old 04-21-19, 08:00 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
My wife rides a LeMond Reno WSD, and tried several bikes before we bought it. The LeMond fit differently enough that though we paid a bit more, compared to some small men's we looked at, it was worth it. Probably cost a little more to make a wsd that doesn't sell a lot, but I hope women aren't being forced to compromise having a well fitted bike. Maybe some brands weren't all that different from the men's to women's geometry, but hers seems to be.
Old 04-21-19, 08:04 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Love it! Clearly you are secure enough to not be bothered by a little bit of pink. And of course, the fit is the most important thing. Mine's an orangey pink, so not even all that girly and my husband is horrified by it. At least it keeps him off my nice bike!
Old 04-21-19, 11:22 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Hi, Road Fan ("KF")!
I'm trying to get "Mrs. Root Canal" back on her bike. And I've got some recovering to do after screwing up my ankle (surgery, 2 screws) 15 months ago.
Hoping to be ready for the Apple Cider Century by this fall.
Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-21-19, 11:42 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

You mean, Ms Terry, regarding the chainstays? I think we spoke about it when I ordered my wife's Cote Donana Vagabond (I had Georgena design it for my wife's retirement gift). We discussed a lot about geometry and design features and I thought we had discussed it, but I don't remember it all. That was already about 8 years ago. I should just ask her again. Mrs. Road Fan is thinking the geometry suits her less, now, as she becomes a more adventurous rider.

You sound like you might have had some discussions with Georgena Terry. I found her very accessible and supportive!
I haven't, but I've seen her site, saw her YT videos, and recently discovered her podcast, so yeah, I'm a fan.
Old 04-21-19, 05:06 PM
Road Fan

I haven't, but I've seen her site, saw her YT videos, and recently discovered her podcast, so yeah, I'm a fan.
She had a pair of really good podcasts out around 2009 with Richard Schwinn, who runs Waterford Cycles and was just taking on responsibility to build Terry's steel custom frames. About an hour of conversation overall.

My wife's first Terry was bought used as a complete bike, a 1997 Georgena Terry Classic, with full 8-speed triple Campagnolo indexing. When Georgena owned the company that sells al the clothing, they had an extensive used bike list. I don't know if they still do. Her second one, the Cote Donana Vagabond, was built by Waterford to our order, and we bought it as a finished frame. We had an LBS source the parts and assemble it, but I should have done it myself. I've built all my own bikes, and I think they work better. I have a lot of Campagnolo experience and the bike shop did not.
Old 04-21-19, 05:42 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by sweeks
Hi, Road Fan ("KF")!
I'm trying to get "Mrs. Root Canal" back on her bike. And I've got some recovering to do after screwing up my ankle (surgery, 2 screws) 15 months ago.
Hoping to be ready for the Apple Cider Century by this fall.
Cheers,
Steve
Steve,

Does ankle recovery usually take that long? My broken wrist has essentially taken about 8 months.
Old 04-21-19, 06:15 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Slipped on the ice January 10 (2018). Treated initially as a bad sprain, diagnosed a week later as a "Maisonneuve fracture" (a case much like mine HERE). Surgery 1/24, then 2 weeks in a cast, followed by a boot for 6 weeks; non-weight-bearing for all but the last 2 weeks. I was off work for 2 months, off the commuter bike for 4 months. Physical therapy for 6 weeks after returning to work... it's amazing how fast your muscles turn to ***** after inactivity. I'm basically 100% recovered; the ankle gives me a twinge every now and then, but I'm looking forward to passing the 50-mile mark soon!
Sorry to hear about your wrist, but glad you're mended. I've got osteoarthritis in my right wrist... luckily it doesn't affect my work, but it *is* a bit depressing to be slowly falling apart!
Old 04-22-19, 10:02 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by sweeks
Slipped on the ice January 10 (2018). Treated initially as a bad sprain, diagnosed a week later as a "Maisonneuve fracture" (a case much like mine HERE). Surgery 1/24, then 2 weeks in a cast, followed by a boot for 6 weeks; non-weight-bearing for all but the last 2 weeks. I was off work for 2 months, off the commuter bike for 4 months. Physical therapy for 6 weeks after returning to work... it's amazing how fast your muscles turn to ***** after inactivity. I'm basically 100% recovered; the ankle gives me a twinge every now and then, but I'm looking forward to passing the 50-mile mark soon!
Sorry to hear about your wrist, but glad you're mended. I've got osteoarthritis in my right wrist... luckily it doesn't affect my work, but it *is* a bit depressing to be slowly falling apart!
Sorry about your ankle; they're not something to mess with. As for your muscles turning to jelly, imagine what it would be like without the PT!

I hear you about falling apart, as my arthritic knees and sprained hand will attest. Two+ weeks ago I managed an embarrassing slow-speed fall off my bike while attempting to make a u-turn. Landed on my left i.e. dominant hand, and it still hurts. X-rays didn't show any fractures, so just soft tissue damage. Getting old sucks rocks.
Old 04-22-19, 10:09 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

She had a pair of really good podcasts out around 2009 with Richard Schwinn, who runs Waterford Cycles and was just taking on responsibility to build Terry's steel custom frames. About an hour of conversation overall.

My wife's first Terry was bought used as a complete bike, a 1997 Georgena Terry Classic, with full 8-speed triple Campagnolo indexing. When Georgena owned the company that sells al the clothing, they had an extensive used bike list. I don't know if they still do. Her second one, the Cote Donana Vagabond, was built by Waterford to our order, and we bought it as a finished frame. We had an LBS source the parts and assemble it, but I should have done it myself. I've built all my own bikes, and I think they work better. I have a lot of Campagnolo experience and the bike shop did not.
I listened to the first one, and really it was a particularly excellent conversation. I'm not binging, but listening slowly. What did you think of her talk with Ian Jackson about breathing?

For anyone interested, they're available here or on iTunes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.