Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Complete Brake Swap for Newbie

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-07-19, 09:37 PM
Ozamataz

Bikes: Trek Domane Two Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Im an FNG and I just bought a road bike, 2013ish Trek Domane Two Series with the Alpha 200 Series Aluminum Frame (being super specific per the rules), and bottom line, the brakes suck. When doing some research this was a known thing so I figured it was something id have to swap out eventually. I was doing to other research and read many glowing reviews about the Shimano Ultegra Br-R8000 brakes set and was wondering if they would be compatible with my bike? UNFORTUNATELY, I cant post pictures of my bike for you experts to take a look at but was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head? When doing research on my bike, the brakes descriptions is pretty crap "Tektro". For reference, all the other components on my bike are Shimano Tiagra(s).

Thanks for the help guys!

-Oz
Old 07-08-19, 06:07 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Do the cheap and easy thing first and change the brake pads to Kool-Stop salmon, you may be surprised at the improvement.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-08-19, 07:03 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Do the cheap and easy thing first and change the brake pads to Kool-Stop salmon, you may be surprised at the improvement.
+1
The brake should be a dual pivot. Are you sure it's adjusted properly? Are the cables set up and lubed adequately?
Old 07-08-19, 12:24 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Knowing nothing more about it (not even what an FNG is) I would have to agree. I mean ... seriously, how bad can the brakes possibly be? The brakes on my Trek 1.1 are reputed to be bad as well. I stop with them just fine. The o.p.'s bike is much higher on the Trek food chain. His brakes cannot possibly be awful. How would an admitted 'newbie' know the difference anyway? I'm deadly serious here: this road stuff ... OMG ... the things I've heard. Don't worry so much about the quality of everything on the bike and keep your head up! Literally. Although a pain in the neck to do so, roadies who don't, run into things at speed all the time. And while you are heads up, a six second scan at all times keeps surprises to a minimum. A cyclists brakes don't have to be amazing for them to be safe. Amazing cyclists can stay safe with absolute bottom feeder off brand or even unbranded gear.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 07-08-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 04:21 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
My '07 Roubaix came with no name calipers (maybe Tekro?), with everything else being 105. I found 105 brakes on sale and put them on, along with Koolstop dual compound pads. This bike now stops better than all my other bikes, even one with cable TRP discs. Like somebody said, give the Koolstops a try, then upgrade if you feel the need. I have the same level 105s on two different bikes, and they work great. I did a 50 mile rain ride earlier this year and the dual compound pads worked great. I've also got them on vintage bikes with Weinmann centerpulls, and another with Mafac Racers, with good results there too.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-09-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 10:41 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Short answer: Yes, the brakes you mentioned will be compatible with your bike. Really, any of the Shimano road bike rim brakes will work (unless you're doing something really crazy, like changing out the wheels.)

That said, I agree with other posters that it might be a good idea to try some cheaper options first - change out cables/housing, replace brake pads, and make sure everything is adjusted properly. If all that fails, no big loss - you'll have a spare set of pads, and unless you trash the cable housing, that can be reused on the new installation.
Old 07-10-19, 10:12 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
FNG=Eff'ing New Guy.
Jon
Old 07-10-19, 10:16 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
+1 on new pads. Dual pivot Tektros are pretty decent performing brakes in my experience.