Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Polar HRM web based cycle training

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 11:05 AM
Jarery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a polar F6 heart rate monitor.
I then upload the days data to a web based system on Polar's site and it has an option to 'get a cycling training program".

So i fill out the questions and get the cycle training program.... It fills exercises in over a month timetable.

My concern is the 'hill training" exercises. It says to do hill climb intervals of 3 min sitting at 50-60 cadence, and 2 min standing at 50-60 cadence, followed by 10 min recovery then repeat.

Is 50-60 a good cadence to try to set for hill training? Or am I just setting myself up for knee pain?

If its recomended exercises are just going to destroy my knees id be better off scrapping any advice from them, and just using their web services to store my data for archival purposes.

Is there any decent fitness/training software available that uses polar soniclink to input its data ?
Old 07-06-05, 11:36 AM
jslopez
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have bad knees?

I believe this drill may be useful as there will be a hll where you have no choice but to go 50-60 rpms or less. Now if all drills were about high resistance, low cadence then maybe this is fromt he Jan Ulrich School of Climbing ?
Old 07-07-05, 11:29 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My knees are in their 40's along with the rest of me and went thru a lot of years where i was young and invincible and did waaaaay to many days hammering thru moguls skiing.

Now im not crippled or anything, just with all the high cadence recomendations, I found it odd to read a training program, especially one given to people over the web, from a popular company, that recomends low cadence hammering up hills.

I think i'll stick to my hill intervals using a higher cadence and use some occasional big gear pushing on the flats instead.