Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 12-23-18, 08:38 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6

I thought I was more or less comfortable with the idea of death, but this whole thing has me more and more scared of aging. Old people and mental loss of function is awful.
If I suffer a bad stroke or develop Alzheimers's I hope to be euthanized.

Happy TIbb's Eve - have a drink.
Old 12-23-18, 11:38 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I got my daughter to stoke that tandem today.
Old 12-23-18, 11:43 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Thanks for the sentiments. He is still lucid.. which I think makes it worse as his mind is there but he is doped to hell on morphine and other stuff to make him comfortable. Never in my life do I want to be in this situation personally. And now I'm at least listening in on the funeral part of this thing. What a racket that is. So much money..

I had a good double ipa with dinner tonight. ninaski brewing. Would highly reccomend.
Old 12-23-18, 11:51 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Thanks for the sentiments. He is still lucid.. which I think makes it worse as his mind is there but he is doped to hell on morphine and other stuff to make him comfortable. Never in my life do I want to be in this situation personally. And now I'm at least listening in on the funeral part of this thing. What a racket that is. So much money..

I had a good double ipa with dinner tonight. ninaski brewing. Would highly reccomend.
I hear you on that... went though the same with my mom a few years ago. Stay by their side if you can..My Mom had like a 3 second miracle where she looked at me, I told her I loved her and she passed.... stuff that really happens.
Old 12-24-18, 06:25 PM
Doge

4 Cat 1s Christmas Eve, Eve. Correction - might be a pro or two there. It is very hard to keep track.

Old 12-24-18, 06:35 PM
Doge

I'm sorry about that. At your age, I never much had to deal with death and suffering. Despite my posts that are typically highlighting a kid, we lost both my wife's parents this year and uncle/aunts (after they celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary this year). Painful to see, and painful for them, yet uplifting seeing their lives.
Old 12-24-18, 07:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Merry Christmas and happy holidays folks. Hope you're with the ones you love.
Old 12-24-18, 07:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-25-18, 02:22 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Merry Christmas, yall. Definitely the weirdest xmas I've ever had.
Old 12-25-18, 08:20 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

My grandfather ended up passing today. We saw him this morning and I knew it was close, hard breathing and the like Got the call over xmas dinner that it was close and we rushed to see him but didnt quite make it. RIP.

Let this be a lesson for everyone. Aging and disease takes us all, but you can fight it. My grandpa hadn't been well since 2001 and fought it with everything he had. You name the disease and he probably had it. There is an old Simpsons cartoon about Burns being in a perfect balance and that is how I thought of my Grandfather for most of his life. He made positive life changes, fought it and lived to see my brother and I graduate high school, get jobs and grow up into who we are. Today was just the end of it. RIP

Hope everyone had a good day with family, food and time well spent. Live a life worth remembering for everyone.
Old 12-26-18, 07:31 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Sincere condolences to you and your family Ttoc6. Your Grandfather is fortunate to have a grandson that loves him and has been as dedicated to him as you have been.
Old 12-26-18, 07:53 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
@Ttoc6 sorry for your loss

a very merry Christmas to all

family holiday in disney

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-26-18 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-26-18, 11:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
@ttoc6. My condolences to you and your family. What a brutal Christmas.
Old 12-26-18, 01:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Condolences @Ttoc6, Nice Tie @gsteinb, and Happy Holidays to all. Personally I'm relieved to be on a rest week, both physically and mentally.
Old 12-26-18, 02:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Spent the holidays in Ft Worth Texas this year visiting my fiancee's family. First time spending it apart from my family! It had been 18 months since the last time I was out there and also we weren't engaged yet so the time was about right.

I woke up at 4 AM on Saturday (when I arrived) with intense abdominal pain, like couldn't sleep, let alone stand up straight. Not nausea or flu-like, but pain. I thought my appendix was bursting or something, so we went to the ER. Turns out it resolved itself on it's own and was a case of acute pancreatitis. This basically means that the digestive enzymes in the pancreas were activated before being released to the small intestine, either due to blockage or being over worked.

Acute pancreatitis can be caused by a number of things, but 30% of reported cases are from alcohol. In the previous 8 days I had two evenings (Company and Family/Cousin parties) that certainly could be classified as binge drinking episodes, and in general I had been feeling like my overall consumption of alcohol was too much. I don't drink everday, certainly not before difficult training sessions which has been a lot lately, but I've been feeling a bit sluggish and slightly hungover too often. To add insult to injury, I ate 5 lard-rich tamales shortly before bed, which I didn't feel too bad about given that I had ridden 105 miles before my flight.

Once my test results got back (CT scan, blood, urine) the doctor told me my organs were fine from the scan but the pancreas enzyme levels in my blood were high and that it indicated pancreatitis. She asked me multiple times if I was sure I hadn't been drinking which made me feel like an alcoholic. I had drank 1 beer that evening but I was already feeling some guilt about my alcohol consumption in general.

I've had separate stomach/gut related issues in the past and I think what I'm learning is that at 32 I can't quite put my body through the ropes like I used to; I need to take it easy a bit. Especially in times of high training, my body doesn't have enough energy to go around. I clocked 17 hrs on the bike over the week and my boss let me work 1/2 days to make that happen, but I still felt fatigued all week. I'm sure drinking didn't help.

I'm slightly concerned about something bigger going on but I think that this will end up being an isolated/acute case. I still need to do my research to make sure I'm not missing any important points. At any rate, the take away for me is clear, I need to scale things back a bit and take it a bit easier. Especially in times of high training and/or stress. I've got marriage, family and (hopefully) home ownership in my 3-5 year plan so it's time to stop partying like a bachelor. The lady is certainly a drinker but she encourages me in my training and has the same long term plans so I have support at home.

Fortunately for me this is a rest week, so I should have some time to detox/not drink, do my research, make a plan for 2019 and be on my best foot forward. I think I'll start tracking alcohol units/drinks as well. I'm as motivated as ever to train and succeed at work so I'm looking forward to a great 2019!

Last edited by TMonk; 12-26-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 02:57 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
My grandfather ended up passing today. We saw him this morning and I knew it was close, hard breathing and the like Got the call over xmas dinner that it was close and we rushed to see him but didnt quite make it. RIP.

Let this be a lesson for everyone. Aging and disease takes us all, but you can fight it. My grandpa hadn't been well since 2001 and fought it with everything he had. You name the disease and he probably had it. There is an old Simpsons cartoon about Burns being in a perfect balance and that is how I thought of my Grandfather for most of his life. He made positive life changes, fought it and lived to see my brother and I graduate high school, get jobs and grow up into who we are. Today was just the end of it. RIP

Hope everyone had a good day with family, food and time well spent. Live a life worth remembering for everyone.
My condolences. Sounds like he was well loved.
Old 12-26-18, 04:38 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Spent the holidays in Ft Worth Texas this year visiting my fiancee's family. First time spending it apart from my family! It had been 18 months since the last time I was out there and also we weren't engaged yet so the time was about right.

I woke up at 4 AM on Saturday (when I arrived) with intense abdominal pain, like couldn't sleep, let alone stand up straight. Not nausea or flu-like, but pain. I thought my appendix was bursting or something, so we went to the ER. Turns out it resolved itself on it's own and was a case of acute pancreatitis. This basically means that the digestive enzymes in the pancreas were activated before being released to the small intestine, either due to blockage or being over worked.

Acute pancreatitis can be caused by a number of things, but 30% of reported cases are from alcohol. In the previous 8 days I had two evenings (Company and Family/Cousin parties) that certainly could be classified as binge drinking episodes, and in general I had been feeling like my overall consumption of alcohol was too much. I don't drink everday, certainly not before difficult training sessions which has been a lot lately, but I've been feeling a bit sluggish and slightly hungover too often. To add insult to injury, I ate 5 lard-rich tamales shortly before bed, which I didn't feel too bad about given that I had ridden 105 miles before my flight.

Once my test results got back (CT scan, blood, urine) the doctor told me my organs were fine from the scan but the pancreas enzyme levels in my blood were high and that it indicated pancreatitis. She asked me multiple times if I was sure I hadn't been drinking which made me feel like an alcoholic. I had drank 1 beer that evening but I was already feeling some guilt about my alcohol consumption in general.

I've had separate stomach/gut related issues in the past and I think what I'm learning is that at 32 I can't quite put my body through the ropes like I used to; I need to take it easy a bit. Especially in times of high training, my body doesn't have enough energy to go around. I clocked 17 hrs on the bike over the week and my boss let me work 1/2 days to make that happen, but I still felt fatigued all week. I'm sure drinking didn't help.

I'm slightly concerned about something bigger going on but I think that this will end up being an isolated/acute case. I still need to do my research to make sure I'm not missing any important points. At any rate, the take away for me is clear, I need to scale things back a bit and take it a bit easier. Especially in times of high training and/or stress. I've got marriage, family and (hopefully) home ownership in my 3-5 year plan so it's time to stop partying like a bachelor. The lady is certainly a drinker but she encourages me in my training and has the same long term plans so I have support at home.

Fortunately for me this is a rest week, so I should have some time to detox/not drink, do my research, make a plan for 2019 and be on my best foot forward. I think I'll start tracking alcohol units/drinks as well. I'm as motivated as ever to train and succeed at work so I'm looking forward to a great 2019!
Common way to remember the causes of pancreatitis is " I GET SMASHED." I think that mnemonic tends to bias physicians a bit towards alcohol.
  • I: idiopathic
  • G: gallstones
  • E: ethanol (alcohol)
  • T: trauma
  • S: steroids
  • M: mumps (and other infections) / malignancy
  • A: autoimmune
  • S: scorpion stings/spider bites
  • H: hyperlipidaemia/hypercalcaemia/hyperparathyroidism (metabolic disorders)
  • E: ERCP
  • D: drugs
Feel better.
Old 12-26-18, 04:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

@Enthalpic that is fantastic lol, thanks for sharing! I haven't had as much as a physical in a couple of years so I think I will follow up with my PCP here in a week or two once I've had a chance to re-set and get some blood work done. Will make sure to share this haha.
Old 12-26-18, 10:39 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts

Sorry to hear.

my race videos
Old 12-27-18, 12:38 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Thanks for the condolences everyone. Just trying to spend time with family. We were looking pictures today and I found an "old school cool" pic ofhim I'd like to share.
Old 12-29-18, 01:46 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Funeral yesterday and then a very spur of the moment trip to southern California. My brother found my Grandpa's old truck that we've been wanting to have forever. He sold it right before he died without really asking since it was broke and he didnt think we'd be able to fix it.

Long story short, flew out of Medford to Ontario, slept on the floor of the airport, bought it from a guy in Sun City and we are somewhere outside of LA right now with 9 more hours of driving ahead of us to get back to Oregon. Truck is noisy and warm and the transmission is shot to hell but it's a thing of beauty and I'm glad to be able to keep it in the family.

Here is my brother posing with the guy who so generously sold it back to us. 1973 Chevy half ton on its 3rd or 4th engine. My grand father was the original owner bought it in 73 and it drove my dad and his mom all over the west coast on trips and more.

Old 12-29-18, 09:45 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Sorry for your loss @Ttoc6
Old 12-29-18, 11:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
I had 2 of those trucks. I put an overdrive transmission in this one, best upgrade I could make.
Old 12-30-18, 01:53 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by big john
I had 2 of those trucks. I put an overdrive transmission in this one, best upgrade I could make.
Nice! It was a beast to get back. My brother was a bit tired coming over Mt. Shasta so I took over the last couple of hours. Been awake almost 48 hours, and driven like 800 miles but we got it back. Tranny needs some work after my miserable attempt at driving stick.

This orange one has 4spd on the floor with a "low" gear and 1-3. Along with all the 4wd options. Once you're in third its golden. Gas it along and it goes. A whole 13mpg driving it back.
Old 12-30-18, 09:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
The first one I had was a 4 speed 3/4 ton with a 454. 10 mpg everywhere. The yellow one was actually a GMC. A guy at work has a short-bed 78 Chevy and he has the original window sticker. It had every option except 4wd and the price was about $6000. Now a similar new truck would be about $45K, at least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.