Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 01-30-19, 08:10 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
hmmm

I think I mistook what you wrote to mean 'I can't believe how long the season is (i.e. winter).'

oh well. Onwards and upwards.
Ah, yes. I can't believe how long their racing season is that it begins in January, while we're at risk of losing fingers if we go out without gloves.
Old 02-01-19, 06:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
How an Olympic Hopeful Robbed 26 Banks on His Bike

Careful racing track folks. You never know where it is going to lead.
He might have gotten away with it if he had used a generic bike instead of a bright orange Steelman.
Old 02-01-19, 07:26 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by caloso
He might have gotten away with it if he had used a generic bike instead of a bright orange Steelman.
Yep. Sounds like he had a pretty good plan, you just don't rob banks with a custom yellow hot rod. You use a generic every car.
Old 02-08-19, 08:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,900 Times in 1,542 Posts
We're taking seven guys to Roger Millikan, and 5-6 of us are faster than most of the field and capable of rolling a solid breakaway. We will constantly be on the attack until something sticks and if not, three of us (including myself) are fast finishers in a sprint situation.

We're the team to beat! This should be fun, I can't wait.

Last edited by TMonk; 02-08-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 10:55 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We've had quite a bit or rain this year and a ton of cold weather. During my work lunch ride I got to take in some of the views

In a few months everything's going to be brown, so I'm enjoying the greenery and snow. The snowlines somewhere around 4000-5000, we're at 1800.
Old 02-08-19, 02:04 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Love me some mountain shots. I've decided I can never live somewhere without a back drop or easy access.
Old 02-08-19, 03:31 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
speaking of mountains, I was wanting to do Lotoja someday, but the cost seems daunting. Coming from Texas.
Old 02-08-19, 03:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,900 Times in 1,542 Posts
San Gorgonio (11,500) is up there, tallest peak in SoCal. So is Big Bear, a bit farther north but in the vicinity. Big Bear has two ski resorts in the winter and some kickass mountain biking in the summer. I've been thoroughly enjoying our Big Bear cabin weekends with my MTB buddies once road here dies down.

Only in SoCal can you do beach and high elevation in the same day!

View South of Gorgonio from Skyline, southern ridge surrounding Big Bear lake. Probably close to Snow Summit Park.

Gorgonio (foreground), Big Bear Lake (background)

Last edited by TMonk; 02-08-19 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 04:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
We're taking seven guys to Roger Millikan, and 5-6 of us are faster than most of the field and capable of rolling a solid breakaway. We will constantly be on the attack until something sticks and if not, three of us (including myself) are fast finishers in a sprint situation.

We're the team to beat! This should be fun, I can't wait.
#newteamsky
Old 02-09-19, 01:33 PM
furiousferret

The funny thing about Mt San Gorgonio is its easy to miss because Mt. San Bernardino looks taller. In the pic I took, that tall peak is Mt San Bernardino and behind it is San Gorgonio. Since its behind San Bernardino and less prominent (its the highest peak on a ridge of 7 peaks) its easy to miss.
Old 02-09-19, 09:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
speaking of mountains, I was wanting to do Lotoja someday, but the cost seems daunting. Coming from Texas.
Lotoja is an awesome race. Very well run, but I'd say impossible to race without someone there to support you. If you're in it for the completion medal and not the race it probably is tops. Racing is a different ball game. Once I got dropped this past year I was able to look up and see the beauty surrounding me and it turned a **** day of racing into a great day of riding.
Old 02-12-19, 06:36 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Speaking of lotoja.... first of two positive tests got published today. Local guy that I respected and knew through s friend got popped. Stripped all his results back to cat 5 and a 4 year ban. Dont do drugs kids.

I created a bit if ****storm posting this in our local association Facebook group with no additional comment. It's a discussion that needs to happen but by golly there are a lot of apologists.

https://www.usada.org/ira-sorenson-accepts-doping-sanction/?fbclid=IwAR1wHiW6CwxbKUcxgkqxGyaGgVFbvRNgrXIbPwQ9lstx06uTXP_FsyHVyyI
Old 02-13-19, 12:47 AM
furiousferret

I have to work for UCLA RR, which is one of the races I can do well in (i.e. has elevation). A huge bummer, I'm debating getting someone to cover but in the same token I'm 10 lbs overweight. I just haven't been losing weight like I did last year. Mainly because I'm not willing to go to bed hungry. I'm trying, its just hard to train and lose 2 lbs a week.
Old 02-16-19, 01:39 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
So USACrits has their first event in Birmingham, AL, so only about 3 hours away, but they've closed registration for the P/1 race unless you're one of the "D1" teams that have paid them to be called a "D1" team. Both the Men's and Women's races have $7000 or so in prize money, whereas the "regular" p/1/2/3 race has like...$700.

And I can't quite figure out how to feel about this.

On the one hand, I think it's total b.s. that you can't do a cat 1 race (because there's only like...6 pros that race crits anymore) because you're not a on a cat 1 team that has a ton of money to throw at random things like this. Not only can a cat 1 not do the race, but they're left instead to race a bunch of cat 2s/3s. So there's not nearly the same competitive aspect. So where's the impetus for cat 1s to go to these races? Or be on a team that isn't stacked with other cat 1s and flush with money? I find that absurd and really irritating.

On the other hand, they're working on creating a sustainable model that returns revenues to the teams through paid online viewership, and apparently this year, a bunch of prize money. So someone is trying to do something to save elite domestic racing, because there's basically no professional circuit any more.

Back on the first hand, I probably won't go to this race now unless some teammates want to double up with the masters race and 1/2/3 race, whereas I 100% would go if I could do the actual proper race.

Ahhhh. Maybe I'm outgrowing bike racing. It's starting to look increasingly silly.
Old 02-16-19, 04:25 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
So USACrits has their first event in Birmingham, AL, so only about 3 hours away, but they've closed registration for the P/1 race unless you're one of the "D1" teams that have paid them to be called a "D1" team. Both the Men's and Women's races have $7000 or so in prize money, whereas the "regular" p/1/2/3 race has like...$700.

On the one hand, I think it's total b.s. that you can't do a cat 1 race (because there's only like...6 pros that race crits anymore) because you're not a on a cat 1 team that has a ton of money to throw at random things like this. Not only can a cat 1 not do the race, but they're left instead to race a bunch of cat 2s/3s. So there's not nearly the same competitive aspect. So where's the impetus for cat 1s to go to these races? Or be on a team that isn't stacked with other cat 1s and flush with money? I find that absurd and really irritating.

On the other hand, they're working on creating a sustainable model that returns revenues to the teams through paid online viewership, and apparently this year, a bunch of prize money. So someone is trying to do something to save elite domestic racing, because there's basically no professional circuit any more.

Back on the first hand, I probably won't go to this race now unless some teammates want to double up with the masters race and 1/2/3 race, whereas I 100% would go if I could do the actual proper race.

Ahhhh. Maybe I'm outgrowing bike racing. It's starting to look increasingly silly.
Maybe there was more attention and preference given to Cat 1 juniors, but I would just call and get junior to guest. Getting a Cat 1 to guest on a team is generally not all that hard. You may have to buy a kit, and ride how the director says, share winnings, but few teams max the roster.

But yea - it is silly, but so is dancing.
Old 02-16-19, 04:42 PM
Doge

Junior took the "new to us" hail damaged BMW up to train @ 10,000ft skiing. P paid <$4K for <90K miles car in great shape if you don't mind acne. I should have been buying these hail totaled cars long ago. Look at those dents.

Junior is training pretty hard doing no miles, just weights (same coach as UCI world record 4K rider) and skiing. He'll pick up the hyperbaric (Added O2 to roller training) training next month. I really don't know how serious he'll be, but the plan was to chill for 3 years, pick it up 2019. 2020. that is starting. He is 30# heavier than his climbing days. I am anxious to see what happens. Focus is mostly going in circles now - and flying fighters.

Old 02-17-19, 02:27 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

i'm generally a fan of what usa crits is trying to do...but yeah, that's really foolish. i wonder what their justification is? i can't imagine there are enough D1 teams to fill a 100 person field.
Old 02-18-19, 11:19 PM
Doge

Looks like the LUX juniors have a team in Redlands. Races | LUX Cycling
Might be a first for a junior team doing a pro race.
I wonder how they would do without the gear handicap.
Shame this institutionalized unfairness continues. The kids will all do something else in a few years, just robed of the performance some could do now.
Par for USAC. Clueless leadership.
Old 02-19-19, 09:22 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Just ordered a GRE prep book. I see an opportunity in the near future where I might go get an advanced degree... so I guess after almost two years of no formal education it's time to sit down and train this brain back into shape.

Maybe it means I can race collegiate cycling again
Old 02-20-19, 04:55 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Just ordered a GRE prep book. I see an opportunity in the near future where I might go get an advanced degree... so I guess after almost two years of no formal education it's time to sit down and train this brain back into shape.

Maybe it means I can race collegiate cycling again
this will be my sixth year racing collegiate lmao. i graduated undergrad early and didn't get to race my senior year, but I did 3 years of undergrad, 2 years in my masters, and this will be the first year of my phd. i'm honestly kind of over it at this point, but i'm broke and the races are cheap.

anyway...good luck on the gre. i know nothing about the subject tests, but the main test is pretty chill. mostly just vocab and triangles iirc.
Old 02-20-19, 12:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I took the GRE right after graduation, didn't prep at all and did a lot better on it than I did on the LSAT, for which I paid a small fortune (for me, at the time) for test prep classes. The world doesn't need another history professor, but on the other hand, it probably didn't need another lawyer either.
Old 02-20-19, 01:36 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by caloso
I took the GRE right after graduation, didn't prep at all and did a lot better on it than I did on the LSAT, for which I paid a small fortune (for me, at the time) for test prep classes. The world doesn't need another history professor, but on the other hand, it probably didn't need another lawyer either.
I would say that the world probably does need more history professors. Lawyer I think is entirely dependent on the type of law.
Old 02-20-19, 01:39 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Also going into GRE prep mode! Grad School and a career hop is just like way more interesting than what I'm currently doing.
Old 02-20-19, 04:29 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Also going into GRE prep mode! Grad School and a career hop is just like way more interesting than what I'm currently doing.
BRAH. Whatcha got lined up??
Old 02-21-19, 07:54 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've done the GREs twice. The first time while still in undergrad. The second time about 8 years ago. My math score was a bit better the first time, but my verbal score improved a ton over the 10 years after undergrad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.