Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 02-21-19, 08:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
I took the general and chemistry specific GRE's at the end of undergrad. I did average and above average (for a chemistry major) on them, respectively. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go straight into industry or do grad school, so I only applied to PhD programs that were a long-shot. I didn't get into any of them so here I am , but I seem to be doing OK for myself.

I still consider doing grad school sometimes, but I have marriage and children on the radar at this point so IDK. A PhD would be too involved, but getting a targeted masters in mass spectrometry could be fun and beneficial. Plus I'd be able to say that I have an MS in MS
Old 02-21-19, 09:01 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I took the general and chemistry specific GRE's at the end of undergrad. I did average and above average (for a chemistry major) on them, respectively. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go straight into industry or do grad school, so I only applied to PhD programs that were a long-shot. I didn't get into any of them so here I am , but I seem to be doing OK for myself.

I still consider doing grad school sometimes, but I have marriage and children on the radar at this point so IDK. A PhD would be too involved, but getting a targeted masters in mass spectrometry could be fun and beneficial. Plus I'd be able to say that I have an MS in MS
Same. I think an MBA would be interesting and beneficial, and a Masters in my field to get more depth in specific electrical stuff would be beneficial, but I just don't really have the time or energy right now, and my current company has a cap of like $5k/year on tuition benefits, which doesn't get you very far. I lean towards the MBA more, since I learn better on the job with electrical stuff, but I feel like classroom based studies and stuff might be useful for more business oriented things, and I'm trying to break into upper management eventually, or even start my own firm eventually.
Old 02-21-19, 09:26 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
BRAH. Whatcha got lined up??
International Affairs. The goal is to get involved in shaping policy on some level, I don't much care if it's via a think tank or working directly for government.
Old 02-21-19, 09:33 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Plus I'd be able to say that I have an MS in MS
And every MS you did would be a tandem MS. Unless you were already doing an MS/MS, then you'd be doing a triple MS.
Old 02-21-19, 09:49 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
International Affairs. The goal is to get involved in shaping policy on some level, I don't much care if it's via a think tank or working directly for government.
Nothing wrong with working for the gov't, yo. Almost no accountability, good paychecks, and guaranteed promotions whether you deserve them or not.
Old 02-21-19, 10:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by himespau
And every MS you did would be a tandem MS. Unless you were already doing an MS/MS, then you'd be doing a triple MS.
Of course haha. Ours is a single-quad ICP. I'm always trying to get them to buy me the latest and greatest, and all mfg's offer double quad ICP-MS/MS machines now. We could get instant value out of it to quantify surface coverage of thiolated ligands (sulfur) on our nanoparticles, which would be huge for bioconjugation applications.

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Same. I think an MBA would be interesting and beneficial, and a Masters in my field to get more depth in specific electrical stuff would be beneficial, but I just don't really have the time or energy right now, and my current company has a cap of like $5k/year on tuition benefits, which doesn't get you very far. I lean towards the MBA more, since I learn better on the job with electrical stuff, but I feel like classroom based studies and stuff might be useful for more business oriented things, and I'm trying to break into upper management eventually, or even start my own firm eventually.
MBA crosses my mine from time to time as well. We have a good school for it locally too (UCSD - Rady). I have some mgmt, B2B, and customer'sales aspects to my job that I like as much as the technical stuff
Old 02-21-19, 10:34 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Nothing wrong with working for the gov't, yo. Almost no accountability, good paychecks, and guaranteed promotions whether you deserve them or not.
ah yes, old canard about irresponsible government workers

i supposed we should all overlook the likes of Eddie Lampard, Kenneth Lay, and whatever private equity firm that decided this was a good course of action, all in the name of being "accountable" to the shareholders, until their actions no longer are...
Old 02-21-19, 10:44 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

as i mentioned a few years back, don't get involved in that PhD

MS in material science would be fine, if there's tangible gain, but don't get involved in that PhD

fwiw, i scored way above average in the GRE for general and chemistry, and i had a horrible time in grad school. Those scores per se mean nothing when it comes to doing research in the lab, and there's no telling that one would be able to find a research-related job after graduation, even with a doctorate. I bet many doctorates would trade places with you in a heart beat, as you are actually making a living doing something materially relevant to your degree
good luck @thekillerpenguin; i'd give a shout out to SIPA at my alma pater (and you'll get to help with my old team, to boot )

i would however, take a bit more cynical view of the whole thing. Many of the think tanks hire you to produce the report they want to see, by having you pick and choose what data to analyze. Especially egregious in econ, where the BS factor is significant.
Old 02-21-19, 11:36 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Eh, who knows where it'll lead. I just know I want to get back into the poli sci field and have my research ignored by people better much better paid than I am.

Also it's totally worth $60k in loans to be able to drop "I literally write foreign policy" into arguments, even though I'll still lose all of them anyway it'll feel good to unfurl that and helicopter it around.
Old 02-21-19, 12:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Awesome. Do you have language skills? That can be a huge plus.
Old 02-21-19, 06:18 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Awesome. Do you have language skills? That can be a huge plus.
Lately I just go in and say it is English - learn English. And it sells. We (USA) think that is USA arrogance to say speak English.
The arrogance is thinking we invented English.

On a local level, and certainly showing you belong, speaking a local language helps.
I "grew up" in Kenya and found Swahili was great for letting people know you were local. I knew the basic greeting, then we all moved to English. There were about 16 languages used and all found English more useful than their own language or some British made up language. Swahili, developed by the British, was the official language of Kenya. The government did all their meetings in English.

Over 30 years ago we were selling software to the Koreans. We went through a lot of trouble to show that our software was translated. Our audience was a bit put off we assumed they didn't want it in English - the international language of business.
20 years ago I was selling my software in Kyoto, Japan - Kyocera. I was looking at some of their knives that had English on them and asked why? English was cool they said - in English.
I only presented USA English, with USA date format. They bought. My sell was "why would you waste your time on anything but English".

Now - I only show English, only USA date formats (the MSFT SQL defaults) because in business that is all anyone cares about. English is not a USA language, it is the intentional language of business.

Sure, I get trying to identify with locals, but if you are obviously not local - just tell them how it is. Learn English and make more money. That sells.
Old 02-22-19, 08:36 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Sure, I get trying to identify with locals, but if you are obviously not local - just tell them how it is. Learn English and make more money. That sells.
Indeed. That mentality carried me through my 20s. I took a couple of trips around the world, bought a brand new car, and put a 20% down payment on a house after teaching English in Korea for a few years. Really ridiculous looking back, especially as a fresh grad with nothing but a business degree and no teaching experience whatsoever, but whatever. In addition to the regular job and private tutoring on the side, I got paid some decent money a few times to do voice-over advertisements in the worst-google-translated English I've ever heard. No one cared. They just wanted English. It was complete gibberish and made very little sense, but apparently it didn't matter as no one listening actually knew English. It was just a facade to show how "internationalized" the company was.

Ah, the good ole days. I'd go back in a heartbeat. I could save more money in Korea in three months than I can in a year in the U.S.
Old 02-22-19, 08:41 PM
rubiksoval

I'm planning on getting a Doctorate of Education in the next few years. Indiana University has a really interesting program. It's like $35k, though, and would take me a good number of years to earn that back unless I quickly get out of the classroom and into the higher ranks of the district, which would also likely take a good number of years. Might be kind of funny to have my second or third graders calling me "Dr.".

I'd probably do it just for the email signatures...
Old 02-22-19, 09:10 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
I'm so fortunate to be in a field where I got paid to do my PhD. Sure it was a pittance and took 8 years, but I doubt I would have done it if I'd had to pay my way. The annoying thing is that my degree pushed me out of doing what I enjoy (the research) and into what I don't enjoy (the running a lab and writing grants). Though I do like the teaching.
Old 02-22-19, 10:34 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
I'm so fortunate to be in a field where I got paid to do my PhD. Sure it was a pittance and took 8 years, but I doubt I would have done it if I'd had to pay my way. The annoying thing is that my degree pushed me out of doing what I enjoy (the research) and into what I don't enjoy (the running a lab and writing grants). Though I do like the teaching.
It's a shame the way higher Ed is set up. The teaching is secondary to the research, so half the time you end up with brilliant people who can't teach to save their life, or people who are only teaching because they have to. The only people actually teaching are post docs and TAs and adjuncts, none of whom are getting paid enough to care.

I had some good professors, but I also had a lot of pretty terrible ones who were clearly not that interested in the teaching, especially teaching undergrads, even though they only taught upper level, it was still too much for them.
Old 02-22-19, 11:54 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'd probably do it just for the email signatures...
Is it better that "Cat 1"?

On my email I give my phone number.
My resume - I cite my High School (significant).
It absolutely has limited me in resume engines.

Nothing wrong with a Dr, Harvard degree or whatever, but what have you done for me lately wins the majority of the time.

Last edited by Doge; 02-23-19 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 07:19 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Doge
Is it better that "Cat 1"?

On my email I give my phone number.
My resume - I cite my High School (significant).
It absolutely has limited me in resume engines.

Nothing wrong with a Dr, Harvard degree or whatever, but what have you done for me lately wins the majority of the time.
Different fields different things, I guess. Cat 1 means nothing. I wouldn't ever put anything about cycling on my resume. Ed.D. holds prominence in my school district. The district is actually going through a big HR/political stink at the moment because of issues with "what have you done for me/ are you part of my circle" type thing. Not a path I'm interested in, myself!
Old 02-23-19, 02:12 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I have a relative that's going for his Ed.D so he can become an administrator (Chula Vista Unified). I actually feel a little weird typing that, like it's sensitive info or something lol. Things can get so political in those positions!!!
Old 02-23-19, 09:22 PM
Doge

Different fields different things, I guess. Cat 1 means nothing. I wouldn't ever put anything about cycling on my resume. Ed.D. holds prominence in my school district. The district is actually going through a big HR/political stink at the moment because of issues with "what have you done for me/ are you part of my circle" type thing. Not a path I'm interested in, myself!
Cat 1 might lead to interesting discussions on a resume. It does say something. I used to bring up my referee creds, and while nobody cared, it lead to a discussion.

But yea, I see the category system very messed up. I've posted too many times on that already.
Old 02-25-19, 09:50 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Play to your target audience; when I applied for CIO at a City where I knew the mayor was a runner I put my Ironman finish and other outdoor hobbies in my resume. For my current job I left it out because I knew none of the interviewers had an interest in sports. In general I wouldn't put it on there. The biggest impact cycling could have (at least in California) is to ask if there are facilities for people that bike to work; that always impresses people.

We're going through a similar issue; unfortunately most of us don't go to the right church to move up. Promotion means not working from home and its not a raise so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Old 03-11-19, 07:35 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Very sad. https://www.velonews.com/2019/03/new...y-at-23_488197

Sometimes the most insanely talented are the ones struggling the most.

Take care of yourselves.
Old 03-29-19, 10:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Not much happening on this thread lately. Out here in La La land I have given my 2 week notice at the job after 21 years there. I'm 65 next month and I am having trouble working so hard, so I want out. Have no plan in place, no property, no IRA and Mrs. John is on suspension from her job, so it's a bit scary. Might have to move someplace cheaper, rent here is too high.
On the plus side I hope to put in some mileage on the bike and try and regain some of my mediocre ability.
Old 03-30-19, 06:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by big john
Not much happening on this thread lately. Out here in La La land I have given my 2 week notice at the job after 21 years there. I'm 65 next month and I am having trouble working so hard, so I want out. Have no plan in place, no property, no IRA and Mrs. John is on suspension from her job, so it's a bit scary. Might have to move someplace cheaper, rent here is too high.
On the plus side I hope to put in some mileage on the bike and try and regain some of my mediocre ability.
Best of luck to you both. Hopefully you can find a situation so you can both enjoy retirement.

​​​​​​
Old 03-30-19, 04:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Best of luck to you both. Hopefully you can find a situation so you can both enjoy retirement.

​​​​​​
Thanks FB. I did a club ride today, first Saturday club ride in a while, and I'm used to getting dropped on climbs but I used to be able to get back on when things leveled out. Today they had to wait more than I would have liked. The stupid job has kept me from riding as much as I want the last 2 years. I just haven't been able to ride after work like i used to, partly because I'm working harder and partly because I'm old. It's really affecting me and the way I feel about everything.
I think if I have to I can get another job, or even go back to the old one if they can't find anyone, ( a real possibility ).
Old 03-30-19, 05:26 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by big john
Thanks FB. I did a club ride today, first Saturday club ride in a while, and I'm used to getting dropped on climbs but I used to be able to get back on when things leveled out. Today they had to wait more than I would have liked. The stupid job has kept me from riding as much as I want the last 2 years. I just haven't been able to ride after work like i used to, partly because I'm working harder and partly because I'm old. It's really affecting me and the way I feel about everything.
I think if I have to I can get another job, or even go back to the old one if they can't find anyone, ( a real possibility ).
Might be time for something part time and less physical. Might not pay what you're used to, but will be something at least.

I feel you on the riding. Since we've had our second I haven't ridden, and even before that. Last was really 2.5 years ago and that's because I was living alone for work.

Between two kids and a big house and yard and a job there's just no time. My new job is really only 40 hours a week though, and it's 20 minutes from the house, so I have a shot maybe this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.