Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What is the best hybrid for longer road rides?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 08:34 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just got rid of my mountain bike and would like to start longer road rides but at this point don’t want multiple bikes so a dedicated road bike is out of the question as I would still like to be able to go on light dirt bike paths and other leisure rides. Ideally I would like to keep the cost in the $700 range. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-18, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Try the Trek FX 3, I've had it for a month and have done several centuries or longer (168 miles in one day is my longest on it). It checks all the boxes. I have the non-disk brake version which is sub-$700, disk version is just above.

I find it super-comfortable at all speeds, and very fast for a hybrid.

Should be fine on light dirt paths with the stock tires. I replaced mine with road tires because I do very little dirt riding.
Old 07-05-18, 01:06 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/Specia...3E6469/Product

This is my hybrid, still a few new ones around in a few stores. E5 aluminum (highest grade aluminum Specialized makes, found in the top of the line Allez Sprint), triple crank for awesome hill climbing (low gear is 0.76 I think?), bike is quite light, and it sits on skinnier 30mm tires which will work for both smooth roads and trails. I've never had a flat tire on it either, tires have flat protection.

Really a nice bike and really a sweet spot in the price/features category.

The Erik's picture is deceiving color-wise, here's what it actually looks like:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8616/2...524369be_b.jpg

god the image embedder on this site sucks so bad, half the time you click it and it doesnt respond at all. why cant we just have normal bb code like every other forum on the planet?

Last edited by puma1552; 07-05-18 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 02:32 PM
Jewishcowboy

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Try the Trek FX 3, I've had it for a month and have done several centuries or longer (168 miles in one day is my longest on it). It checks all the boxes. I have the non-disk brake version which is sub-$700, disk version is just above.

Should be fine on light dirt paths with the stock tires. I replaced mine with road tires because I do very little dirt riding.
That's what I have for my hybrid and love it. I also have an Emonda ALR 5 road bike but yeah the FX3 is great. Disc brakes are nice also
Old 07-05-18, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/Specia...3E6469/Product

This is my hybrid, still a few new ones around in a few stores. E5 aluminum (highest grade aluminum Specialized makes, found in the top of the line Allez Sprint), triple crank for awesome hill climbing (low gear is 0.76 I think?), bike is quite light, and it sits on skinnier 30mm tires which will work for both smooth roads and trails. I've never had a flat tire on it either, tires have flat protection.

Really a nice bike and really a sweet spot in the price/features category.

That looks like fun. What the heck is a Zertz insert?
Old 07-05-18, 03:36 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
That looks like fun. What the heck is a Zertz insert?
It's an 'elastic' type insert that compresses when you go over bumps, thereby providing some smoothing of bumps. It's a Specialized thing. The inserts are found in some Specialized frames or seatposts (e.g. CG-R).
Old 07-05-18, 11:45 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Performance hybrids like Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape or Jamis Coda (if you like steel) are good for longer road rides as well as for some dirt roads.

You can also look at "gravel" bikes whose geometry is similar to that of hybrids, but they have drop bars. When I (re)started biking I bought a performance hybrid (Bianchi C-sport), after some time converted it to drop bars and finally built a CX/gravel bike (Double Cross) starting from frame. These bikes are more relaxed than a road bike. Neither a gravel bike nor performance hybrid will give you an upright position of a comfort hybrid, but drop bars will give you more hand positions (riding on tops for leisurely rides).

Something like Jamis Renegade starts at $800, it is a frequently mentioned gravel bike. Try riding different bikes and see which one you like.
Old 07-07-18, 07:50 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have the Fx3 as well. Couldn’t agree more. The other brands are probably similar, but my LBS is close and has great service. I’d test drive each to see which one speaks to you. Because I live where I live, Trek can send parts in a day, which is nice if you decide to change handlebars or something. Not a huge deal, but a friend bought another brand, decided to change some things and he had to wait over a week for the components. Something to think about depending on where you live. Probably not a deal breaker though.
Old 07-08-18, 10:41 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I'd definitely get something that leans heavily toward a skinny tire flat bar road bike - i.e. no front suspension.
Old 07-09-18, 09:53 AM
Winston15

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 1997, 97 Lemond Chambery, Trek Madone 5.2, 98 Schwinn S-10, 2019 Bianchi C-sport 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking at hybrids for over a month, store after store and review after review. It's really hard to ask someone else to recommended bikes for yourself as you may hate it. With that being said:
I did like the Trek FX and Trek DS. The base model FX looks like a great value at $359 as there is nothing else I like better in that price range. The Specialized Pitch and Rockhopper both are solid but you move up to $500 and up very quickly. ** Don't look at the racing bikes at the Specialized dealer..... The Pitch Comp is $700 which is at your budget limit, but it's certainly worth a test drive. Fuji makes a bike called the Nevada that looks and rides really nice if you can find a dealer. There is also a company called Breezer that makes the Storm and Squall that sell for less than $700. The Breezer's are awesome for the price but again, hope you can find a dealer.
** All the bikes in this thread would be great! Just make sure the bike fits you and go for a test drive.
Old 07-09-18, 09:53 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I just got rid of my mountain bike and would like to start longer road rides but at this point don’t want multiple bikes so a dedicated road bike is out of the question as I would still like to be able to go on light dirt bike paths and other leisure rides. Ideally I would like to keep the cost in the $700 range. Thanks in advance.
If your cycling will mainly be on paved surfaces, no reason not to go with either what are often referred to these days as flat-bar road bikes or with what are often referred to as 'gravel bikes' (or some similar silly marketing term) if you prefer drop bars. Here's a simple checklist, fwiw.

Point 1: decide if you think you'd prefer flat or drop bars for longer-distance rides. There's no 'right or wrong' with this choice, notwithstanding what many folks will tell you on here and elsewhere. Either work perfectly well; the choice is simply a matter of personal preference. I, and many here, prefer flat bars. Others prefer drops. If you're not sure, try to do some test rides.

Point 2: look for proper clearance for at least 32mm wide tires. Most bikes in these categories have that clearance, but be sure to check. This will help preserve your ability to ride light dirt paths etc. should you want to.

Point 3: start shopping around the usual suspects (Trek; Specialized; Giant; Cannondale; etc.). They all make both kinds of bike.

Point 4: find something you like, in your price range, buy and .... ride.

Example (mine) of a 'flat-bar road bike' set up for longer-distance road riding