Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shift on the rear sprocket, chain falls off the front chainring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 02:00 PM
chiproth99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

.Sometimes, when I change gears on the rear, the chain falls off the front chainring.
The chain falls off and gets jammed between the crank arm and the chainring. Difficult to dislodge
This happens mostly when I am coasting along and want to shift up.
This is scram-rival double-tap shifting.
I don't think this is a question of derailer adjustments.
Something worn in the shifter (after only 1000 - 1500 miles)?
Worn chain? Stretched cable? Operator error?

What's your best guess? It's a real aggro.

Thanks,

Chip
Old 12-10-22, 04:26 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 528 Posts
More info needed: Single, double, triple up front? Chain drop happens when shifting up or down or on a particular cog? Chain condition? My first thought is that the RD cage spring is weak, but it could be any number of things.
Old 12-10-22, 04:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by chiproth99
.Sometimes, when I change gears on the rear, the chain falls off the front chainring.
The chain falls off and gets jammed between the crank arm and the chainring. Difficult to dislodge
This happens mostly when I am coasting along and want to shift up.p
How can you be shifting while you are coasting?
Old 12-10-22, 06:16 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
Start by making sure the stops/limits are set correctly on the FD. Do the RD too while you're at it just for S's and G's. Then fine tune the indexing. Even if you do a lot of cross chaining you should not have a chain pop off a chain ring and jam between the frame and crank. That should be your small front to large rear position. Good luck
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-10-22, 08:12 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,596 Times in 1,226 Posts
How is the spring tension in the rear derailleur? I've seen the cage flop around on bumps popping the chain off on the small smaller combos. Sometimes related to chains that are too long also.
Old 12-10-22, 08:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
chiproth99 - please give the type of bike you're talking about, the number of rear speeds and the type of shifters you have, and if it's a 1-2-or 3 speed in the front. Nobody can help you if they don't know what you're talking about.

[edit] I see this is the third post and the third thread started by Chip, one in 2017, one in 2020. He didn't make a single follow up on either of these to get his problems solved. I doubt he'll give any more info here, so maybe not waste your time until he follows up providing more info so we could possibly give meaningful advice.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-10-22 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-10-22, 09:36 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
This definitely needs a lot more info but I can try just taking some hints. Yes, limit screws can play a part but they’re not really there to keep the chain in place. Just to move it from the upper and lower chain rings. Now if the derailleur has too much swing due to limit screws not being adjusted properly, yes, it’ll throw your chain off but you’re saying it falls when you’re shiftingtt in the rear.

It could be a case of a super stretched chain, the chain ring teeth are super worn down, you’re free hub body isn’t coasting well enough which causes your chain to bunch up and fall off the front chain ring or a possible bad clutch in the derailleur not tensioning the drive train we’ll enough.

Also, I think Rival uses something called X-Sync and you need to use a specific chain to run it. Yes, mix matching chains can still get you to point A to B but how well it does doing it is what it comes down to.
Old 12-10-22, 10:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
This happens mostly when I am coasting along and want to shift up.....
I think this is the key.

Chains drives want some tension in the chain as it feeds onto the sprocket. The tension ensures that each roller is pulled all the way down before the next one engages.

Without some tension friction can cause the chain to begin riding up to where the next link is out of position. Once the chain starts riding high the pitch doesn't match, and it climbs to the top of the tooth. It will stay there until the pitches line up so it can drop in (chain skip), or fall to the side.

If you understand what's happening you can seek specific causes. These include, poor chain lube, dirt or mud, a sticky freehub spooling the chain forward and slackening the upper loop, inadequate RD cage spring tension, and similar ideas I might have missed. Note also, that a worn chain will exacerbate this problem.

I'd start by cleaning the sprocket and lubing the chain. Failing that, I'd check for a sticky freehub as follows: on a repair stand, shift to a high gear, then hang a small weight from the middle of the upper loop to cause it to sag an inch or so. Watching the weight, grab the rear wheel and give it a decent spin. if the weight sags more than slightly, the freehub is sticking, and wants some attention.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-10-22, 11:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I think this is the key.

Chains drives want some tension in the chain as it feeds onto the sprocket. The tension ensures that each roller is pulled all the way down before the next one engages.

Without some tension friction can cause the chain to begin riding up to where the next link is out of position. Once the chain starts riding high the pitch doesn't match, and it climbs to the top of the tooth. It will stay there until the pitches line up so it can drop in (chain skip), or fall to the side.

If you understand what's happening you can seek specific causes. These include, poor chain lube, dirt or mud, a sticky freehub spooling the chain forward and slackening the upper loop, inadequate RD cage spring tension, and similar ideas I might have missed. Note also, that a worn chain will exacerbate this problem.

I'd start by cleaning the sprocket and lubing the chain. Failing that, I'd check for a sticky freehub as follows: on a repair stand, shift to a high gear, then hang a small weight from the middle of the upper loop to cause it to sag an inch or so. Watching the weight, grab the rear wheel and give it a decent spin. if the weight sags more than slightly, the freehub is sticking, and wants some attention.
Good stuff here. And those bolded sentences - never heard that before but I like!
Old 12-11-22, 04:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Is it possible that the derailleur hanger is twisted in the horizontal plane rather than in the vertical plane?

Cheers
Old 12-11-22, 04:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Is it possible that the derailleur hanger is twisted in the horizontal plane rather than in the vertical plane?
This is a common issue when chains fall off while backpedaling. However, the chain runs directly from the cassette to chainring on top, so the RD cannot cause the problem the OP describes.

The causes of chain derailing when pedaling (forward) are limited, and related to the sprocket, chain, and chain line.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-11-22, 05:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
OP has a pattern of starting threads about his bike falling apart, and then never checking back in...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-11-22, 05:25 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
OP has a pattern of starting threads about his bike falling apart, and then never checking back in...
Maybe this is why the chain is falling off?
"left right play in bottom bracketI discovered about a quarter inch play in the bottom bracket axle.

In tuning up for the season, I removed the chain and started poking around.

As stated, I found about a quarter inch left/right play through the axle in the bottom bracket. The chainrings then move that quarter inch. Is this typical? Normal?

The BB bearings are sealed, so I assumed everything would stay in place. Maybe not.

I suspect this is the reason for recent shifting difficulties.

So, I guess I need to wade in there and take a look, unless of course, such play is normal."
Old 12-11-22, 05:30 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
OP is a newb with only 3 posts. (and I wouldn't have thought about it until your post)

In any case, I don't think about posting here as a one to one consultation (for which I might charge). I view it as more of communal passing along of knowledge for all that may be interested.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-11-22, 07:49 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by curbtender
Maybe this is why the chain is falling off?
"left right play in bottom bracketI discovered about a quarter inch play in the bottom bracket axle.

In tuning up for the season, I removed the chain and started poking around.

As stated, I found about a quarter inch left/right play through the axle in the bottom bracket. The chainrings then move that quarter inch. Is this typical? Normal?

The BB bearings are sealed, so I assumed everything would stay in place. Maybe not.

I suspect this is the reason for recent shifting difficulties.

So, I guess I need to wade in there and take a look, unless of course, such play is normal."
In case you're not being sarcastic, NO that is NOT normal, haha
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-12-22, 12:15 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
There should be at most barely perceptible movement side to side, such that you can perhaps feel it but not really see it.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 12-12-22, 01:31 PM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
OP is a newb with only 3 posts. (and I wouldn't have thought about it until your post)
Technically a newbie, but a member since 2017
Old 12-12-22, 01:56 PM
curbtender

Originally Posted by grumpus
There should be at most barely perceptible movement side to side, such that you can perhaps feel it but not really see it.
I was just quoting the OP from an older post. I'm not sure how you could get a cartridge bb to slide around unless both sides were adjustable. Maybe running an EDCO?

(picture because we needed one)
Old 12-12-22, 11:11 PM
Camilo

In any case, I don't think about posting here as a one to one consultation (for which I might charge). I view it as more of communal passing along of knowledge for all that may be interested.
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Technically a newbie, but a member since 2017
Yeah, like pointed out in this thread and at least one othe of his three posts since 2017 - all of which were thread starters - he has not followed up once, no additional info when asked, no reply of any sort. Three OPs, three posts.

I have to wonder what the heck he's looking for, obviously not looking for actual productive interaction.
Old 12-13-22, 10:46 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Camilo
Yeah, like pointed out in this thread and at least one othe of his three posts since 2017 - all of which were thread starters - he has not followed up once, no additional info when asked, no reply of any sort. Three OPs, three posts.

I have to wonder what the heck he's looking for, obviously not looking for actual productive interaction.
He's shy.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-16-22, 09:20 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
This happens mostly when I am coasting along and want to shift up.
This is scram-rival double-tap shifting.
I don't think this is a question of derailer adjustments.
Something worn in the shifter (after only 1000 - 1500 miles)?
Worn chain? Stretched cable? Operator error?

What's your best guess? It's a real aggro.

Thanks,

Chip
If everything else works fine, it's likely nothing to do with your derailleurs or shifters. You say it only happens while coasting. That's a clue.

First, by chance, are you turning the crank forward as you shift or are you coasting, shifting, and waiting for something to happen? Because derailleurs aren't meant to work this way. The chain has to be moving forward through the cogs for the shift to happen. Second, are you, by chance, turning the cranks backward as you coast? If you are, stop doing it. The chainring isn't milled to seat the chain in reverse.

Next, we're going to see if the freehub freewheels. That is, does the wheel coast without resistance? A rear wheel that doesn't freewheel when it's supposed to pushes the cranks forward via the chain. If there's a force preventing the cranks from turning forward, such as your feet trying to hold them stationary as when coasting, then the chain goes slack from the rear cog to the chain ring and can be pushed off the ring. So with the bike in a stand and the chain in top gear, spin up the crank and then let go. Does the chain continue to push the crank forward or does the crank stop spinning after a while?

If the chain is pushing the crank, then the sudden slack in the chain caused when you stop pedaling can cause derailment. If that's the case, get your freehub overhauled. I'm not going to tell you how to do it because they're all different and there are YouTube videos that can explain it better than I can, and you most likely aren't equipped to perform this kind of maintenance anyway.

If the chain is not pushing the crank, the problem rests with the chain or the chainring or the crank. The chain might be worn or it might have a kink or a stiff link. The chainring might be bent. Or the crank spider might be bent. I can't diagnose what I can't see.
Old 12-17-22, 02:28 PM
Camilo

You know the OP is ignoring this - like he did with his other three single post threads. He does't really want advice. BUt I guess it's OK to reply since someone else might find the advice with a search.
Likes For Camilo: