Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Regular socks vs Cycling socks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 03:42 PM
Jewishcowboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone use cycling specific socks and if so what if any are the advantages?
Old 06-30-18, 03:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I have a pair of bicycle specific socks, purportedly better sweat-wicking properties than standard socks. I haven't noticed any dramatic difference from my other socks (Smartwool, REI, Farm-to-feet, etc.).
Old 06-30-18, 03:56 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Defeet, Sock Guy, Specialized, Bontrager, Twin Six, Pearl, Performance, etc, etc.... They look good, and have sweat wicking properties. And, some of them are fun. Might as well have some fun in your choice of socks. But in the end, they are just socks. And the best socks in the world won't transform you into a world class bike racer. If the package of athletic socks you get in a pack of 8 for $10 from Walmart works for you, that is fine too..
Old 06-30-18, 03:59 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Years ago i would've thought they were just a fad, but a freind that used to be on the massage therapy staff of the Colorado Ride the Rockies used to bring me some of the free swag she used to get, including several; pairs of DeFeet cool max socks, that I still wear, years later. Here in south Georgia, i get home from a ride my jersey is completely saturated, but my feet are largely dry. When i wear cotton socks this time of year, for walking, or even for non athletic stuff, they are noticably damp when i pull them off.
I HIGHLY recommend some decent bike-specific socks.
That being said, i tried them when out walking, and being thinner and a little rougher, I found them uncomfortable after a couple miles, and prefer my thicker, cotton, ankle-length socks. Go figure.

P.S. I've tried Walmart cotton socks, and found them to be junk. But, I'm getting GREAT longevity out of the shorty Burlington socks from Sam's Club (oddly, the longer ones haven;t been is solid.)
Old 06-30-18, 04:00 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
You can get a 6-pair pack of ankle athletic socks in CoolMax wicking fabric for the cost of 2-pair of "cycling" socks like DeFeet. Don't get me wrong, DeFeet socks feel nice--but they're not made out of unicorn skin.
Old 06-30-18, 04:08 PM
andcarrotrope

Bikes: 2017 Felt Verza Speed 10

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Darn Tough wool socks for me.
Old 06-30-18, 04:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
... And the best socks in the world won't transform you into a world class bike racer. If the package of athletic socks you get in a pack of 8 for $10 from Walmart works for you, that is fine too..
After a couple of hours on warm days, I start seeing real differences in comfort between cotton socks and good cycling/hiking/etc. socks. I wore socks like you described the other day when I sat down to put my cycling shoes on and realized I was still in my house socks. It was a short ride and OK. Once I started, I never thought of them again but when I went to take my shoes off I was glad that was only a two hour ride on a warm but not hot evening.

When I raced in the '70s, I wore wool blend socks. There's no magic here. Just stay away from cotton and the "dead" older synthetic fabrics. The Sock Guy socks are universal here in Portland and work very well.

Ben
Old 06-30-18, 05:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Regular wool socks for me....There are no advantages to cycling specific socks.
Old 06-30-18, 06:26 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
"Cycling" socks aren't any different or better than other athletic socks with excellent wicking properties that are thin except for the heel, ball and toe of the foot and a proper length.

So you can shop for all that or just buy the cycling socks.

I've done both.
Old 06-30-18, 06:28 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Anything labeled (cycling) at a bike store or anywhere else is going to cost at least twice as much. Since your foot is trapped inside a shoe what the heck is the difference.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-04-18 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-30-18, 06:36 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use wool cycling socks. They aren't more expensive than non-cycling wool socks, and wool socks are worth the premium to me.
Old 06-30-18, 06:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I do but I get a couple of free pairs every year from Castelli. They’re good socks but I wouldn’t pay extra for them.
Old 06-30-18, 07:17 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Soon after I retired, I was helping fold the laundry, and realized the whole week's worth of socks were cycling socks. That's when you know when you are truly retired. If I'm not wearing cyling socks, I'm usually barefooted. I like the ones with stretchy supportive compression arches, mostly Pearl Izumi. I've had some Hanes Coolmax socks for years, great for short local rides, but for longer days in the saddle I prefer real cycling socks with support and wicking properties. I just got a pair of merino wool from Volar (not the Voler Jersey people), that I really like too.
Old 06-30-18, 07:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Put a DeFeet Aireator next to a "regular" sock and try to tell me there isn't a difference. I buy cycling socks because my annual cycling budget isn't blown out by shelling out 10 bucks for a pair of socks. The Shimano S-Phyre socks are also very much specifically cycling socks.

I have a drawer full-- probably 20 pairs in different heights, thicknesses, and brands. Absolutely zero cotton. Everyone is totally free to wear whatever socks they like. But don't tell me I'm wasting money on mine.
Old 06-30-18, 07:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
I like the feel of cycling socks. The compression and thin weave feels great.
certainly not needed, but great.

I buy em when I need to buy something extra to get free shipping. An order is $45 and I need $50 for free shipping?...pay $10 for socks. No brainer as its be about that anyways for shipping.
Makes for great designs. SockGuy 4" or 5" are awesome.
Old 06-30-18, 07:46 PM
thebellmont

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycling socks also might have more compression so they don't slip while you pedal but many that I have felt are not substantially different than a normal non-cotton athletic sock (I am looking at you Defeet and Pearl Izumi).
Old 06-30-18, 08:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Swiftwick. None better.

https://swiftwick.com/collections/mens-cycling

Everything else pales in comparison.

-Tim-
Old 06-30-18, 10:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nah, not any more. I used to. But I've found some thin poly anklets (three for a dollar at Dollartree) that are perfect for my clipless shoes in warm weather, and thicker Hanes poly anklets that are good in cool weather and comfortable with the clipless and all my low top casual shoes.

Yeah, I wear anklet socks, not proper length socks. In winter or when my calves are aching a bit I'll wear knee high compression socks. Roadie dress rules are for people who are fast enough to be noticed.

My wool socks wore out prematurely in pressure areas. Darning them wasn't practical because it created pressure sores, although I never tried having a professional do the darning repairs.

Pretty much any of my many poly/cotton blend socks are fine for casual cycling on my platform pedal bikes.
Old 06-30-18, 10:17 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Anything labeled (cycling) at a bike store or anywhere else is going to cost at least twice as much. Since you foot is trapped inside a shoe what the heck is the difference.
This is so true. I avoid most clothing ‘designed’ for cycling as it does cost a lot more than regular fitness clothing.

I use Nike cushioned socks for cycling which are perfectly suitable even though they are designed for general fitness activities.
Old 06-30-18, 10:27 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I was skeptical of cycling socks, but still bought some when I started cycling and now think they may be worth the premium over regular socks. I have no experience with what constitutes good athletic socks, but my cycling socks are definitely better for cycling than so-called athletic ones from Costco or Target.

I've noticed that my thinner cycling socks have noticeable fraying near the toes after just one or two rides, which makes me wonder how resilient they are. However, their wicking, drying, and odor control properties are excellent. First time I commuted to work on a really hot day, my socks were soaked in sweat when I took them off to shower. By the time I was out, which was 10 minutes max, they were completely dry. I had just laid them over my shoes, didn't hang them or put them anywhere near a fan or AC. I had regular socks ready to change into, but deemed it unnecessary.
Old 06-30-18, 11:49 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Swiftwick. None better.

https://swiftwick.com/collections/mens-cycling

Everything else pales in comparison.

-Tim-

I'm a sucker for the swiftwick 4" wool socks for winter. They seem warmer than most of the other wool socks I have. I buy the seconds (I like 2" height for summer) at Performance sales for $5. Can't go wrong. I've also stopped buying mostly white socks because they are harder to keep really white.

Any reasonable "moisture wicking" material would be better than cotton socks. I prefer them sized a bit large rather than a bit small to avoid holes.
Old 07-01-18, 02:40 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
The latest additions to my fitness clothing are Nike Dry Cushion Crew Training Socks. They are sold in pairs of three and fit a few inches above the ankle.

They are cushioned at multiple points, and reinforced at multiple points. The are also 'anatomically' designed so a pair has a left and right sock.

Providing a very snug fit, they feel very comfortable for any activity from walking, to running, to cycling. The socks use Nike's Dri-Fit tech so will wick away sweat.

It's these ones here:

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/dry-cushio...GWp/SX5547-100
Old 07-01-18, 04:47 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I have several pairs of cycling socks that have not been worn in over a year...I like basic cotton anklets or wool socks better.
Old 07-01-18, 11:03 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
For those of you who are naysayers, here is your chance to try cycling related gear that is inexpensive. Today is the last day of the Nashbar moving sale (or so they say) and FREE SHIPPING NO MINIMUM! In the under $5 category there are decent choices of socks and cycling gloves, some with really good reviews. For $6 there's a ton of DeFeet 4" socks in nice colors which will be excellent quality. Some of the clothing has only one size, but I saw some jerseys and shorts for $15 or so.

If you stick to the clothing items that have good reviews you will probably be happy with the items.
Old 07-01-18, 11:21 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
My cycling shoes are sandals. I don't wear socks at all. I may see how my hand knit wool socks feel on the bike when the weather turns cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.