Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer trekking/butterfly bars or drop bars?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 10:22 AM
CenturionIM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to decide between which one to get. I am a roadie so am used to the drop bar. But trekking bar seems to give you a lot of real estate for mounting gadgets.

Which do you prefer? which one do you have on your bike?

Edit: if you can give the model of your trekking bar that will be great too. Want something not noodly.

Last edited by CenturionIM; 08-23-13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-23-13, 10:32 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,389 Posts
Drop.
Old 08-23-13, 10:49 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Drop.
+1
Old 08-23-13, 11:09 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Both... depends on the bike. I actually have two identical bikes that are currently set up with drop bars, I will be converting one to Trekking bars. Currently I have a converted MTB with trekking bars for rough stuff touring, the drop bar bikes run 700c wheels and are better suited for roads or graded paths. Current trekking bars came from Nashbar, probably their house brand.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-23-13, 12:46 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
CenturianIM, If I had continued to use my mountain bike for my day tripping I would've tried trekking bars. They seem to go best with bikes that were originally flat bar bikes like hybrids and mountain bikes. Typically these styles have a little longer top tube than a drop bar bike, but adapting a drop bar bike would be easy enough though not inexpensive.

If you have a threadless headset maybe you can substitute some spacers with a second stem and a partial handle bar to mount more stuff onto either a drop bar or trekking bar equipped bike.

Brad
Old 08-23-13, 01:13 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Both... depends on the bike.
+1 my thoughts exactly
Old 08-23-13, 04:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Prefer drops.

I used the drop position maybe 5 percent of the time until a few years ago, I primarily had drops because of the many hand positions on the tops and hoods. But, since I lost some weight, I now use the drop position maybe a third of the time, primarily for headwinds. The top of the bars are about 10 to 20mm below top of my saddle. For comparison, I am 72.5 inches and now weigh about 170-175, used to weight about 205 to 210.

I recently picked up one of these to give me more space for stuff on my bars. On one of my bikes where I have very little spare handlarbar space, I use one side for a GPS and the other for heart rate monitor.
https://deltacycle.com/accessories/ho...computer-caddy
Old 08-23-13, 09:10 PM
Passinggas

Bikes: BLT, Cannondale Silk Road, Specialized Expedition, Safari

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After years of touring with drop bars (because that's what came on the bikes), I've become a convert to trekking bars. I was introduced to trekking bars when I bought a Navora Safari to use for off-pavement touring. I like the variety of hand positions the bar offers (more than drop bars), but became sold on the bars when I found that riding with my hands flat on the "outside curve" is the most comfortable hand position I ever experienced. I use the Safari for on- and off-pavement tours, easy mountain biking, and around-town errands. After thinking about it for a couple of years, I just had my Bruce Gordon BLT converted to a trekking bar. I'm happy I made the switch; the new bar is more comfortable and elimnates pain I was experiencing in one hand with the drop bar. I'll give it a real test next month on a tour of Route 66 in Arizona and New Mexico.

Converting from drop to trekking bars isn't simple or inexpensive. I needed a stem riser, new stem, brake levers, and shifters, for a total cost of about $250 (including labor, new cables and bar tape). I provided the bar -- from Nashbar.

Before making the plunge, try to borrow a bike with trekking bars to test them for yourself.
Old 08-24-13, 04:35 AM
TheReal Houdini

Bikes: Cervelo P3 (retired), Habanero Road, Novara Safari, Batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long-time rodie here, prefer trekking bars for touring. I have the stock Novara Safari bar. I don't use the real estate for a bunch of accessories though, that would drive me nuts. A bell on the bar and a speedo on the stem. That's it. That flat hand position is really excellent. My bar is almost level. When I need a lower body position I move to the forward part of the bar.
Old 08-24-13, 05:26 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Are all Trekking bars similar in size and configuration? I just got the Dimension brand. Looks nice and it will be going on the LHT that I am building up.
Old 08-24-13, 08:04 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I have the Kalloy trekking bars, they come in two sizes and I have the bigger. They are huge. On a converted MTB it's fine but I wouldn't consider them for a road bike. As bardtx says, a long top tube seems essential, the closer hand positions are going to be in the vicinity of your stem cap.
Old 08-24-13, 08:53 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
trekking bars, a long top tube seems essential
You can always throw a longer stem on if needed. I think on my LHT, I've got a 130mm stem but on a previous mountain bike with a huge top tube, I used a 90 mm.
Old 08-24-13, 09:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Older bike has drop-bars, derailleurs , recent bike's have a Rohloff Hub and trekking bars .

I use the trekking bar * bike daily , havent used my derailleur bike in a few years..

* I bought a used Koga WTR, it had ITM Freetime figure 8 bars on it ,,

Wall Bike got a few other Trekking bars from ITM-Koga

they used the D wing adjustable butterfly bars on some tandems ..

I set the original Bars Aside , fitted one of those ,... then later having bought a BiFri Pocket Llama
with another R'off,

put the Freetimes on it.. they are a bit narrower than the Kalloy -etc., ones commonly sold now..

It's all good..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-25-13 at 11:42 AM.