Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

'Staging" your house for sale when you're into cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 08:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

We're putting our house on the market in a few days. Over the last couple months we've spend buckets of money getting the house ready to sell (staging). Our realtor brought in a 'stager' to help, it was kinda helpful, but also comical. She got to the trainer room, since we're empty-nesters, we converted a bedroom in to a trainer room... her comment "that's just odd ... " I've since moved my trainer 3 times to find a place that isn't "odd" - now it's next to the furnace in the basement. And after sending 5 to storage and donating 2, we still have 10 bikes stored around the house. I guess there's no hiding that we're into biking.

I'd love to hear other's stories about getting your house on the market as a 'cyclist' - make it loud & proud, hide all evidence of bikes, other ...

For reference, here's that 'odd' trainer room (now empty):

IMG_20170105_074335719.jpg
Old 04-05-18, 08:58 AM
VRC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Since you are definitely moving, put as much stuff into storage as you can. I actually think one trainer in a guest room is not a big deal. You just want enough stuff so it looks like a house but a really spacious and clean house. If you live in a "hot market" this should be over really quick!
If you have an amazing bike garage that could be a selling point to other cyclists!
Old 04-05-18, 09:10 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I recently moved, but we bought the new house before putting the old one on the market, so the bikes came with me.

...but I've looked at houses where the owners had various hobbies a stager might consider "odd". And I noticed some agents and stagers have very particular preferences and strong opinions, and were more certain of those opinions than they should've been. As a potential buyer, so long as your bikes and training space are clean and uncluttered, I wouldn't consider it a negative. (Just my opinion, though, and I can't speak for everyone else...)

Originally Posted by VRC
If you have an amazing bike garage that could be a selling point to other cyclists
My new place has a nice, big garage with its own attic. The previous owner didn't have any bikes in there, but I certainly envisioned it.

Last edited by SkyDog75; 04-05-18 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-05-18, 09:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
Put 'em all in the garage, hangly neatly from hooks.

Put other extraneous stuff into storage, leaving the house as neat as possible. Too much furniture gives the impression of less space.

And get rid of personal items, such as photos and knick knacks. But the stager told you all of this, I'm sure.

Your biggest interest comes right after the house hits the market...Botch that, and you'll be on the market for a (potentially) longer period of time.
Old 04-05-18, 09:57 AM
HobieKen 

Bikes: 2021 TREK Rail 5, 2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy, 2017 Cannondale Quick 5 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I need to look into this staging myself. No way would i consider your bikes as odd, I would lean more towards insperation. I love my toys and am proud to display them, bikes, various kayaks, etc I fon’t feel the need to hide them, people don’t have enough sense to realize they’re not staying?
Old 04-05-18, 10:58 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I suggest that you rent a storage unit and move as much of your 'stuff' (kitchen, hobbies, knick-knacks, un-needed furniture, garage clutter, basement clutter, photographs, mementos, etc.) into the storage unit.

A properly-staged house without a bunch of the owner's personal property hanging around will likely sell faster and for more money than the opposite. Potential buyers want to imagine their new lives in your house - not your old life.

...just a suggestion - Good Luck!!
Old 04-05-18, 11:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

This house is so clean and uncluttered, it's kinda hard to live in. I suspect we'll sell quickly, it's a hot market and not a lot of inventory like our place. I'm making a good number of compromises for this sale, but biking keep me (kinda) sane and I'm not going to compromise on that. All bikes have a nice neat home: 1 on the trainer and 3 hanging in the unfinished basement, 3 hanging in the garage and 3 on the floor on kick-stands. I've kept only functional bikes that'll we'll be using.

For Lisa's part, she needed to move her pride-and-joy Bianchi from her office to the basement... she likes keeping it in her office as inspiration.
Old 04-05-18, 12:00 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you pickup after yourself and it is clean (as it appears to be) I would not worry about it. It is your lofe not someone else'. For all your "stager" knows, your exercise room will give people ideas on how to use the room.

But it is a lot easier to move first if you have that option like I did.
Old 04-05-18, 12:03 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Wait! Is that a pile of dog poop next to the door? You might want to clean that up.

Old 04-05-18, 12:06 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
We once toured a house while looking to buy. The house was filled - every nook, cranny, and linen closet shelf, with dolls. Cloth dolls. It was absolutely eerie. So one person's "in bicycles" is another's "crazy obsessed person". I might limit my in-house storage to two bikes while selling: one for riding, and one in the trainer. Or maybe just one bike.
Old 04-05-18, 12:43 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Was it this place?

Old 04-05-18, 01:08 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Wait! Is that a pile of dog poop next to the door? You might want to clean that up.

That's the metal flying pig door stop ... we packed packed the pig and I fixed the door.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-05-18 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 01:44 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Lisa was looking at comp houses in our area, too funny that this pic was in that house's online slide show

Old 04-05-18, 01:45 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

OH - I'll share the details and pics of the place when it's officially on the market next week... if anybody's interested.
Old 04-05-18, 01:47 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
will you be able to get by with 1 or 2 bikes while the rest are in storage?
Old 04-05-18, 01:48 PM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it's neat/tidy/organized, most people won't care.

The only thing to worry about if you keep them in the spare bedroom is people not being able to picture what the room would look like with a bed in there (specifically how much room was still there after the bed). Unless you have a bed to put in it though, then I don't see an issue with keeping the bikes there.
Old 04-05-18, 03:08 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
will you be able to get by with 1 or 2 bikes while the rest are in storage?
Yes and no... but that PODS has sailed (or left the driveway). I have a couple bikes that need LBS attention that I plan to drop off when we start showing, so that'll get a couple more out for a week or two.

It's shoulder season in Minneapolis, which means I'm gonna need a fatbike today; then tomorrow I'll be on the road bike; the next day you'll need full fended bike; the next day you go on a gravel grinder.

I'm not too worried, some of the garage storage is hidden from casual view. The typical house shopper won't see a number of the bikes.
Old 04-05-18, 03:11 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I love the idea of this thread, as my wife has indicated we’d have a similar dilemma if/when we sell our current house.

My thought, having seen a lot of your pics, hypnotoad:
- hide the drop bar pugsley...among non cyclists fatbikes are weird. Among cyclists, 90% think a drop bar fat bike is weird, and the other 10% will think it’s so awesome they will steel it.
- biggest risk is being considered a hippy liberal biker...hedge your bets with an Escalade in the driveway.

But seriously...

I don’t think it turns off anyone. A lot of people have hobbies and decorating tastes that are different than mine. Seeing a taste of reality in a house just emphasizes it has been lived in and enjoyed by someone else, and isn’t just a “flip” that someone spit-polished to sell fast.
Old 04-05-18, 04:54 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
My wife and I are half-assedly shopping for a new house in a VERY expensive part of town and many of them have some sort of room converted to a tiny in-home gym or trainer room. I don't see it as a negative at all. Obviously. People do some extraordinarily bizarre things to their house though.

Well staged house > > > empty house > > > cluttered, lived in home. GLWS.
Old 04-05-18, 07:46 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
You need to empty out the house as much as possible, and that includes removing your own personal "stamp". The goal of staging is to present a "blank slate", onto which the prospective buyer can imagine their own stuff. If everywhere they look is someone else obviously personal stuff, it's hard for them to picture their own stuff there, and it becomes corresponding difficult for them to engage with the property, which is the first stage in wanting the property.
Old 04-05-18, 09:06 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Lots of people set up a personal training room. That's not unusual any more, especially in areas that are not pedestrian or outdoors-friendly.

On an amusing note, when we bought our first house, both my spouse and I noticed that there wasn't a single book in the entire house. Now that was creepy.
Old 04-06-18, 06:48 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it's neat/tidy/organized, most people won't care.
It matters.

It's important to give the illusion that your house has enough storage space to hold your "stuff". Everybody knows it's a lie but think of it like wearing rented clothes when you get married.
Old 04-06-18, 06:53 AM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
It matters.

It's important to give the illusion that your house has enough storage space to hold your "stuff". Everybody knows it's a lie but think of it like wearing rented clothes when you get married.
I was speaking specifically to his bikes setup on trainers, which to me as a potential home buyer clearly speaks to that being a "workout room". I should have clarified, as I can see your point about storing spare bikes in a room versus the garage (although I've sold a house before doing that very thing).
Old 04-06-18, 07:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I was speaking specifically to his bikes setup on trainers, which to me as a potential home buyer clearly speaks to that being a "workout room". I should have clarified, as I can see your point about storing spare bikes in a room versus the garage (although I've sold a house before doing that very thing).
I hear what you are saying and it's true that you only have to find one buyer. Selling a house, however, you'd like to appeal to the widest possible audience.

Personally, I'm planning on not ever having to do that again. My plan is to leave all my "stuff" right where it is and let the kids figure out what to do with it.
Old 04-06-18, 07:23 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

The finished spaces in the house are devoid of bike stuff, except for a couple wall art items (nicely framed prints/photos) in my office.

For the armchair realtor/stager, this is the unfinished basement (we haven't tidied up in a couple days - ie the snack stack goes in a storage tub)

IMG_20180405_180933103_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20180405_180908826.jpg

My biggest issue in the unfinished basement isn't bikes, it's the patio couch and table. I planned to have them outside already, but we're having 3rd winter in Minneapolis... the deck is covered in snow. I'm likely going to shovel the snow off the deck just so I can get this bulky stuff out before showing the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.