Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling after a stroke

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling after a stroke

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 06:09 PM
msbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling after a stroke

I suffered an right side stroke on 1.27 which left me mostly paralyzed. Since then I spent a month in 2 different hospitals and a month with outpatient rehab. I've regained significant strength in my right leg but only very limited use of my right arm and hand. My therapists are hopeful that I will make a great recovery in the next 6 months. I've told them that returning to cycling was main goals. They said time will tell.

anyone with a similar experience?
Old 04-03-19, 08:15 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Somewhat similar, but nothing as serious and severe as your situation, I developed Parkinson's Disease, diagnosed in November 2015. I have balance issues and problems with swallowing. I'd recommend posting in the Adaptive Cycling and Recumbent Forums, a recumbent trike could be a great asset for your recovery, but you need to work with the rehabilitation folks and your therapist closely. I depend on cycling to keep my remaining balance working enough to allow m to keep walking unaided, and in controlling my tremors on my legs, arms/hands/shoulders, under control and manageable along with medications I have to take for other symptoms.

I remember some 50+ folks that have dealt with strokes that posted in the past. But I cannot recall specific screen names, or what they had to adapt, and the areas that were effected by their circumstances. Best of luck on your recovery, please keep us updated auto how you progress and your outcome.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-04-19, 10:22 AM
tsimaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! Been there, Done that. About 3 yrs ago.

Last edited by tsimaz; 04-04-19 at 10:24 AM. Reason: crappy spelling\
Old 04-05-19, 08:00 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
I had a stroke event this past December. Lovely way to spend the Holidays I might add...

Dogged-determination my friend is what I offer as advice. If I may paraphrase qcpmsame's byline; we don't always choose what life throws at us but, we CAN choose how we take it on.

Blessings, take precious care my friends.
Doug
Old 04-05-19, 10:01 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd
I had a stroke event this past December. Lovely way to spend the Holidays I might add...

Dogged-determination my friend is what I offer as advice. If I may paraphrase qcpmsame's byline; we don't always choose what life throws at us but, we CAN choose how we take it on.

Doug
Dang Doug, I missed this entirely, prayers for a complete recovery. And, please feel free to paraphrase anything at all.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-05-19, 10:13 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd

Doug
How is your recovery going? Are you back on the bike?

Old 04-07-19, 08:48 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
I am slowly returning to everything. Emphasis on slowly. I'm back to work, both teaching and cooking, at a limited basis. Physically, I have been doing the bike, some stretching, and have made significant gains with Taekwon do. I am grateful.

Thanks for all the concern; anyone living needs prayers regardless of their assumed condition.

All the best msbiker. We're with you man.

Doug
Old 04-08-19, 10:39 AM
markm109

Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '15 Litespeed T5; '17 Jamis Renegade Exploit; '17 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a stroke April 2013. My right side was effected but not paralyzed and had a slight speech issue. Getting back out on the bike was very good motivation. When I first tried to bike again after several months, my balance was off. I wobbled those first dozen rides or so until I was able to learn how to balance again. Within a year I would say I was 99% recovered. Physical therapy helped but I also had to do most tasks myself and was working from home right away using a mouse and keyboard which helped with dexterity. My wife had just broken her ankle and was less mobile than I was so I had to get up often, make meals and do things around the house which I believe made my recovery faster. If she was not injured and was able to do things for me, I doubt my recovery would have been so quick. Your brain has to rebuild connections so the more you challenge yourself, the faster the repairs occur.

You will get angry because you'll get tired and depressed. Try not to take it out on your family. Stay positive and keep setting small goals for yourself so you see yourself improving.