Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Defective EVO Tube

Old 06-16-19, 09:13 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
Defective EVO Tube

When I got ready to install Bontrager H2 26x1.50 tires on my '97 Trek 830, I replaced the tube as well, and my local bike shop had Evo brand tubes in this size, so that's what I used. Installation of the tire and tube went just as expected, no problems.

I did three rides for a total of about 37 miles - all good! Love the Bontrager H2 so far - quiet and comfortable ride.

Went out yesterday to ride the Trek, and as I did my pre-ride check, I noticed the valve stem on the front tire had ballooned! There was a rubber bump at the base of the valve stem, almost perfectly round - almost 1/2-inch in size - at least 10mm! I have never seen anything like this before.

I get it that all manufacturers have defects and that we all make mistakes, but I doubt I'll be buying any more Evo tubes. I replaced the defective tube with a Bontrager tube and rode 19.5 miles yesterday.

Anybody else have recommendations for good, affordable tubes - or suggestions for brands to avoid? Is ballooning on the valve stem something that happens and I just haven't experienced it before? or was this a rare anomaly?

Last edited by Rje58; 06-18-19 at 07:37 AM.