Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why no love for stem shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 04:06 AM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

I know a C&Ver that commutes every day on a bike with OEM stem shifters and doesn't mind them at all. Aside from the perceived dork factor, what is truly wrong with them? Anyone ride with stem shifters on one of their bikes?
Old 07-05-12, 04:33 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Me.

Old 07-05-12, 04:56 AM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
There's probably a good way to answer this, but I'm not sure I know it. Stem shifters, turkey wings and kick stands are not, in and of themselves necessarily "bad", but they are an indication that a bike was lessor quality or built after the point that cycling began to be influenced by the CPSC and the masses of people who didn't really want to be cyclists.

A bike lacking these convenience features, (which many of us don't find all that convenient) places less between the rider and the experience, plus even a cheap bike looks more like a machine from the 50's and 60's, and it's slightly lighter.

If they work for you, and you like them then don't worry about it.
Old 07-05-12, 04:57 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Paramount1973
I know a C&Ver that commutes every day on a bike with OEM stem shifters and doesn't mind them at all. Aside from the perceived dork factor, what is truly wrong with them? Anyone ride with stem shifters on one of their bikes?
A number of C&V'ers ride with stem shifters. But you asked what is wrong with them. Compared to DT shifters each cable has one more piece of housing and two housing stops. These add friction. Also the cable is longer so stretch is more pronounced. Of course, these issues aren't as big with modern cables and housings, but they still make a difference. The result is that DT shifters are much more direct and precise.
Old 07-05-12, 05:22 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Compared to DT shifters each cable has one more piece of housing and two housing stops. These add friction. Also the cable is longer so stretch is more pronounced. Of course, these issues aren't as big with modern cables and housings, but they still make a difference. The result is that DT shifters are much more direct and precise.
That, in itself, is really important, in my opinion. Also, though I cannot qualify this, stem shifting raises one's center of gravity, slightly, reducing stability. Is this really the case? Don't know but I do not like the feel of them anyway.

Dorky? You bet, but that is just an opinion from a guy who tucks his pants into his socks, for every ride, and that is a trick when wearing riding shorts:-(
Old 07-05-12, 05:51 AM
Maxturbo
Navy Retired

Bikes: Raleigh's all: '71 and '74 Internationals, '74 Super Tourer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My take...

For ME and my style of riding, stem shifters are a preference.

I have two nearly identical Raleigh Super Tourers, one being fitted with drop bars and down tube shifters and the other, original with stem mounted shifters. I simply enjoy the ease and location of shifting afforded by stem's.
Old 07-05-12, 05:53 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
nothing is wrong with them at all except they tend to be a sign of a lower-end bike
Old 07-05-12, 05:54 AM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stem shifters were one of the combinations I tried many years ago to make shifting easier since I found it difficult to reach downtube shifter levers. From an upright position, they weren’t too bad. From a hunched over position, they were hard for me to manipulate accurately. I found Campy barcon shifters and used them for many years until I finally discovered indexed shifting. I am now using Shimano indexed barcons and I love them.
Old 07-05-12, 06:02 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Paramount1973, What's wrong with stem shifters? Style. They're associated with less expensive models from the '80s bike boom era.

Brad
Old 07-05-12, 06:09 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I rode with stem shifters for many years. They work.

Last year I converted my Panasonic from stem shifting to bar-end shifting. The main reasons why were (to me) the shifter placement felt awkward. Also, I would occasionally smack the right shifter with my knee while standing to climb which resulted in an unintentional shift to a higher gear at the time I least wanted this to happen. Admittedly, this could be attributed to poor technique on my part. Regardless, switching to bar end shifting made me happier.

But if you like stem shifting, don't feel bad. Just ride!
Old 07-05-12, 06:24 AM
SteamingAlong

Bikes: 2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I find them unsafe. I've gotten my testicles caught on the levers of stem shifters during a crash. It was an unpleasant experience.
Old 07-05-12, 06:33 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Weight. The suntour stem shifters that seemed to just jump off the Super Mirage when it rolled into my garage....those things weigh a ton. Still have them in a parts pile and marvel how anything so simple can weigh so much.
Old 07-05-12, 07:15 AM
Nakedbabytoes

Bikes: 1974 KoKo Sport 3000, 1987 Lotus Elite 600, 2003 Qunitana Roo Kilo tri

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is this not cool
Old 07-05-12, 07:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Ahem.... Cool!

Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes
How is this not cool
^^^ I vote Cool!
Old 07-05-12, 08:16 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I rode with stem shifters for many years. They work.

Also, I would occasionally smack the right shifter with my knee while standing to climb which resulted in an unintentional shift to a higher gear at the time I least wanted this to happen.
Yup, and trying to jump through intersections with all the city riding I do. Nothing like hitting the shifter with a knee halfway through!

I rarely ride the old beast with stem shifters any more, but it's amazing how natural it still feels when I do.
Old 07-05-12, 08:30 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
when i get cheap road bikes with stem shifters I say yippie!
-I change for straight bars and brakes and it is so much easier to sell a city bike compared with a cheap road bike.
Old 07-05-12, 08:57 AM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me personally, what's wrong with them is that I occasionally hit my knees on them when sprinting out of the saddle. Not only does that hurt, but it also causes an unpredictable shift under power. Once, I was almost run over in an intersection because of that chain of events.

For folks to whom this does not happen -- nothing wrong with stem shifters. They're a bit heavier and less precise than downtube shifters, but the same argument applies to barcons and yet barcons are well-respected. If you like stem shifters, run them with pride.
Old 07-05-12, 09:13 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Here's the thing: where I live and ride, everything I ride is "old" to the other cyclists on the road. The dork factor doesn't even come into play because I get guys who marvel at my ability to use bar ends and down tube shifters. Heck, a stem shifter doesn't mean any more or less to them than my other gear shifters. The only people in my neck of the woods who recognize stem shifters as the mark of a "lower end" frame are (a) flippers and (b) fellow enthusiasts. I don't care what the flippers think at all - they just sell bikes and don't ride them. And my fellow enthusiasts are pretty few and far between to begin with... and of those, most would appreciate that I'm using stem shifters on a bike. For me: case closed!
Old 07-05-12, 09:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
nothing is wrong with them at all except they tend to be a sign of a lower-end bike
Exactly. They have no technical flaws. It's all about style. Back when downtube shifters were on over 90% of high end bikes, they argued that the extra cable and housing reduced precision. Except that some of those folks on high end bikes also used bar-end shifters, which are even more imprecise. So that argument was completely bogus.

There's nothing wrong with stem shifters.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 07-05-12, 09:29 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Exactly. They have no technical flaws. It's all about style. Back when downtube shifters were on over 90% of high end bikes, they argued that the extra cable and housing reduced precision. Except that some of those folks on high end bikes also used bar-end shifters, which are even more imprecise. So that argument was completely bogus.

There's nothing wrong with stem shifters.
+1. Horizontal top tubes and tall quill stems make the safety argument is completely bogus too.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 07-05-12, 09:41 AM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I like the big chrome ones with the S on them that the old Schwinns had;

Call me shallow but the aesthitics overcome a lot of friction and wieght.
Old 07-05-12, 09:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I use one on my S3X-equiped Viscount:

It gives the shortest possible housing run, with the fewest bends.
Old 07-05-12, 09:52 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26415 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by SteamingAlong
Personally, I find them unsafe. I've gotten my testicles caught on the levers of stem shifters during a crash.
+1...........

Old 07-05-12, 10:07 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Another thing that makes them awkward is that they're on a steerable part of the bike. Barends are nicer because you already have your hand gripping the bar. DTs are nicer because the downtube doesn't steer.

Luckily I haven't had my nuts near a stem in a bike crash lately. I've been lucky enough to bail off the bike or throw the bike before/during crashing. I suppose they might be slightly worse than nutting just a stem, dunno.

+1 on the Suntour weight issue. I weighed PowerShifters off a Motobecane at around one pound.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-05-12 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 10:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Another thing that makes them awkward is that they're on a steerable part of the bike. Barends are nicer because you already have your hand gripping the bar. DTs are nicer because the downtube doesn't steer.
I suppose these points are true, but I don't find them extremely convincing. I guess it depends on how hard you're riding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.