Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Newer Battery Powered bikes ? Thoughts

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Newer Battery Powered bikes ? Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 12:37 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Medical issues on group rides can happen at any time with any rider.
Old 09-26-18, 12:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
How is the social dynamic broken when someone shows up with an ebike provided they don't dictate the speed of the group? Serious question.

For instance. Let's say a regular to the "competitive" group ride (let's call him Joe) has some sort of medical issue... say a heart issue that requires him to maintain a lower heart rate than he normally does. By all accounts he has the skill, training, knowhow to ride in the group and wants to continue to do it since all his buddies are in the group too and it has been a regular part of his life for years. He buys an ebike that allows him to ride with that group and maintain his doctor ordered restrictions. Now let's say you have been part of that group for years and now here comes Joe with his new ebike and rides with you. Are you telling me you are going to go home grumpy and grumbling about "cheating" because Joe rides his regular group ride with an ebike? That Joe somehow is destroying the social dynamic of that group?

I've been on a lot of group rides and never thought once about how some dude on a faster bike is cheating and therefore it ruined my ride or somehow changed the "value" of the ride to me. I frankly just don't get how it would.
HOW THIS SHOULD PLAY OUT
Joe should be forced to face the group and all others shall then point at Joe and laugh. Joe would then be banished to ride out the rest of his years solo with a constant 13mph headwind.

I kid. I just dont care enough to offer much here, but felt compelled to respond with an absurd scenario. Every group is different, so i would imagine every competitive group is different(i admittedly only know 1 competitive group). Some may not care that Joe is riding faster than physically capable.
Old 09-26-18, 12:55 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Brace yourselves, folks . . . the UCI announced today (or yesterday) that they are holding a world championships -- awarding a rainbow jersey -- for e-MTB for 2019! That's not an April Fools joke. They really are doing it!

The world is coming to an end. (Rumors that Fabian Cancellara has been hired to promote the new championship apparently have no merit.)

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 09-26-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 01:01 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
How is the social dynamic broken when someone shows up with an ebike provided they don't dictate the speed of the group? Serious question.
First: It's very difficult to not influence the speed of a group that you're in: simply being present in a paceline allows that paceline to do less work and changes its behavior, especially if you're cycling through the front. And if the group likes to participate in things like Strava, it's actually against the rules to be spending time behind e-bikes, as its considered motor pacing.

As for the dynamic... it's broken because the e-bike rider doesn't need to work harder to do more. If someone hangs onto my wheel on a hard climb and they're not winded at the top, that sends a message about their strength. Different bikes do of course perform somewhat differently, but it's still the same language: they had to work harder to do more. But if the other person avoided being winded because they flipped a switch for motor assist, that language is broken.
Old 09-26-18, 01:02 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Brace yourselves, folks . . . the UCI announced today (or yesterday) that they are holding a world championships -- awarding a rainbow jersey -- for e-MTB for 2019! That's not an April Fools joke. They really are doing it!

The world is coming to an end.
Oh brother. Thats so dumb.
Old 09-26-18, 01:05 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
A prior diagnosis such as the one you disclosed could easily be the basis of a contributory negligence lawsuit against a shop or individual group members.

If such a person actually existed.
Is calling others liars part of your position as group ride rule enforcer?
Old 09-26-18, 01:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
I got on an e mtb and was floored by how fast you can go on those things. It's pretty ridiculous how quickly you can ride climbs and flats...the thing sucked at going down.
That's exactly backwards. The joy is the descent, and you earn it with the climb.
Old 09-26-18, 01:33 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
E-MTB UCI Championships is all for the $$$ for sure.
How is that new or different? Everything UCI does is for the $$$!
Old 09-26-18, 01:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by RJM
For instance. Let's say a regular to the "competitive" group ride (let's call him Joe) has some sort of medical issue... say a heart issue that requires him to maintain a lower heart rate than he normally does. By all accounts he has the skill, training, knowhow to ride in the group and wants to continue to do it since all his buddies are in the group too and it has been a regular part of his life for years. He buys an ebike that allows him to ride with that group and maintain his doctor ordered restrictions. Now let's say you have been part of that group for years and now here comes Joe with his new ebike and rides with you. Are you telling me you are going to go home grumpy and grumbling about "cheating" because Joe rides his regular group ride with an ebike? That Joe somehow is destroying the social dynamic of that group?
I'd like to bang a supermodel, but I don't have millions of dollars. Sometimes life is crappy and unfair in ways that prevent people from doing what they want.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem riding with Joe assuming I already knew him to be a good rider. I bet it wouldn't really be the same for him though because it's part social but it's also about the exercise, that feeling you get burning a batch.
Old 09-26-18, 01:47 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That's exactly backwards. The joy is the descent, and you earn it with the climb.
Tell that to those dudes shredding Whistler.
Old 09-26-18, 02:02 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

I'd like to bang a supermodel, but I don't have millions of dollars. Sometimes life is crappy and unfair in ways that prevent people from doing what they want.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem riding with Joe assuming I already knew him to be a good rider. I bet it wouldn't really be the same for him though because it's part social but it's also about the exercise, that feeling you get burning a batch.
Actually Joe, whose name isn't Joe, had an article written about him describing his joy with the ebike....I'll look around for it.

Frankly, I'm not about the ebikes for myself. I'd get in trouble going faster than necessary in the woods, or like you said that I wouldn't get that endorphin dump after a exerting ride...plus I prefer single speeds anyway...but the arguments against them need to be better. Saying they are breaking the rules of fake racing or challenging people's self worth because some dude on an ebike passes them, rides with them, has fun on one, or dares to get a workout with one are all terrible arguments against them. A solid argument could be said that they can be unsafe (especially on mtb trails) or they chew up trails more, ect. they aren't allowed on one trail system locally to me, but others do allow them. There have been no problems except people whining they lost a Strava KOM to some ebike. (that **** was happening way before ebikes and strava is dumb anyway).
Old 09-26-18, 02:11 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by RJM
...Saying they are breaking the rules of fake racing or challenging people's self worth because some dude on an ebike passes them, rides with them....
Those are fine reason's for not having them on rides where people want to test their abilities against other cyclists.

But thats for those people to decide. If others are fine with e-bikes joining their rides, who am I to complain? I dont care at all.

Last edited by dgodave; 09-26-18 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 05:25 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
So they say.....

but very few Ride to the top when ski lifts are available and at the ready. Or shuttles.
Old 09-26-18, 05:33 PM
Metieval

reading, uh half way reading the above.

here is my understanding. the Gripe isn't about E bikes.

The gripe is about people butting in where they are un wanted, which is a people peopling problem!

It falls in to the don't be an ******* and bring your downhill MTB to a no drop road group ride. don't bring your e bike to a fast paced competitive group ride. Unless you are a Videographer and make kick ass videos and have approval a head of time. But haven't we seen enough motorbikes causing accidents in the Professional road races?

there are enough group rides where E bikes are not an issue, so just go ride those group rides?
Old 09-26-18, 05:37 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by Metieval
So they say.....

but very few Ride to the top when ski lifts are available and at the ready. Or shuttles.
Yuck. Who wants to ride around a crappy ski area when you could be off in the woods or mountains somewhere. Well, I guess some people do. Maybe its better they have their crappy area to ride in.
Old 09-26-18, 07:00 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by dgodave
Yuck. Who wants to ride around a crappy ski area when you could be off in the woods or mountains somewhere. Well, I guess some people do. Maybe its better they have their crappy area to ride in.
Umm downhill is huge!

Edit: hmmm!! Let's think about this.

you won't complain about others on E-bikes, but you'll be snide towards dowwnhillers that ride ski lifts up hill. Oh the Irony!!! and double standards.

double standards are what is wrong with humans in this world!

But thats for those people to decide. If others are fine with e-bikes joining their rides, who am I to complain? I dont care at all.

Last edited by Metieval; 09-26-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 07:11 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Umm downhill is huge!

Edit: hmmm!! Let's think about this.

you won't complain about others on E-bikes, but you'll be snide towards dowwnhillers that ride ski lifts up hill. Oh the Irony!!! and double standards.

double standards are what is wrong with humans in this world!
Like I said: to each his own.
Old 09-26-18, 07:35 PM
Metieval

Like I said: to each his own.
unless........... LOL too late to take your other post back, it's been quoted.
Old 09-26-18, 08:27 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
reading, uh half way reading the above.

here is my understanding. the Gripe isn't about E bikes.
Personally, my gripe is e-"bikes" being considered bicycles. A bicycle is human powered. Period. End of story. Add a gas motor or an electric motor or an antimatter drive and it is NOT a bicycle. The best current word is moped.

I do not begrudge e-"bikes" their existence though, only their being allowed in places that have been created and set out to not allow motorized vehicles. If an e-"bike" is OK, what's wrong with a bike that has a gas engine assist? They have existed for years before e-bikes anyways.
Old 09-26-18, 08:38 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

unless........... LOL too late to take your other post back, it's been quoted.
Go on. Unleash it on the world!
Old 09-26-18, 08:43 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Caliper
Personally, my gripe is e-"bikes" being considered bicycles. A bicycle is human powered. Period. End of story. Add a gas motor or an electric motor or an antimatter drive and it is NOT a bicycle. The best current word is moped.

I do not begrudge e-"bikes" their existence though, only their being allowed in places that have been created and set out to not allow motorized vehicles. If an e-"bike" is OK, what's wrong with a bike that has a gas engine assist? They have existed for years before e-bikes anyways.
I see that. I have no idea why things are called what they are called. Maybe the industry is trying to avoid all the bureaucracy stuff that comes along with motor vehicles? license, insurance, etc... Which is my #1 reason for being attracted to E-bikes. Ride to town, then park it on the sidewalk along with all the other bicycles. Zip down the street at 3 am without waking the dogs/neighbors.
I guess it doesn't bug me much to what people call them, the end result for me comes down to the advantage/disadvantage list.

as for this, "OK, what's wrong with a bike that has a gas engine assist?" NOISE! Electric is dream compared to combustion in the noise department.

Electric is new. Electric is change. If that change is good or bad. I can not say. yes it has a motor, it is powered. But to just toss it in the same broken system that already deals with motor vehicles would not be justice. IMO nor would it promote Growth to a better tomorrow.

Last edited by Metieval; 09-26-18 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 09:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
last year I rented a downhill mtb, got geared up with a full facemask helmet and body armor, and rode down Snowmass for a day. Gondola up, and coast down. Gondola to chairlift all the way, and coast down. Repeat many more times.

I still have a few scars from a killer flip over the bars.

it was awesome. Some of the best time on a bike ever.
Old 09-26-18, 09:59 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
last year I rented a downhill mtb, got geared up with a full facemask helmet and body armor, and rode down Snowmass for a day. Gondola up, and coast down. Gondola to chairlift all the way, and coast down. Repeat many more times.

I still have a few scars from a killer flip over the bars.

it was awesome. Some of the best time on a bike ever.
Yay. I'm glad you had fun.
Old 09-27-18, 09:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

There's a MTB park at Stevens Pass and it has lifts. That's not my thing, so I don't know what it's like. I'm with you, it's more about getting to amazing places, riding in great scenery.
Old 09-27-18, 09:40 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

There's a MTB park at Stevens Pass and it has lifts. That's not my thing, so I don't know what it's like. I'm with you, it's more about getting to amazing places, riding in great scenery.
In the 90's I did a lot of mtb races at ski areas. What a disappointment compared to the races in the actual backcountry that were more popular in the 80's.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Take your e-bike to the ski area for all I care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.