Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did Giant make the CF frames for Specialized?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 04:36 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

Asking this question because I currently own a 1993 (or 4) Cadex CFR-3, which I like, but do not necessarily love : even though it's carbon it feels a bit too flexy and I am by no means a heavyweight. At the same time I've always liked the looks of the 1990's Specialized Allez/Epics. There is a 1991 Epic for sale right now not too far from where I live. Can't test ride it for the moment, but I'm curious, would it ride any different? I remember reading somewhere that Giant made Specialized's first CF frames. I reckon this is somewhat of an abstract question when the real solution would be to ride them both and compare, but I'd still be happy to gather more info on the two bikes/series!
Old 10-24-20, 06:47 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Paging RobbieTunes ...
Old 10-24-20, 07:26 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I Had an Epic. I don't know if it was made by Giant, but I do know that I hated that thing. It handled like a noodle, and weighed a ton. I traded it to someone, who sold it to someone who found it was Cindy Whitehead's old race bike. He rebuilt it, and everybody over on retrobike drooled over it, But I know that it's really just a piece of crap.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 10-24-20, 09:40 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
From what I've always heard, probably, they were making Trek at the same time as well but that doesn't make the bikes all the same. Lug and tube dimensions as well as geometry effect things as well, steel vs. aluminum stays will effect ride and stiffness. All of them were a bit noodly but the Treks always seemed to get decent reviews.
Old 10-25-20, 12:36 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
I have owned and raced the Cadex road which is the same frame as the CFR, the Specialized Epic road and SWorks mountain. My race weight was 215 at that time. All bikes purchased new. The Cadex was a stiffer road frame, at least in the 57-58cm sizing. I did not find it objectionally stiff when compared to the Epic road, but the Epic road did have a smoother ride overall. When hammered into corners in a race, the Cadex was a better choice, but that is up to rider opinion I suppose.
The Epic SWorks mountain was an 18" and very stiff. Did not find it noodly at all. Overall handling was very good, and one could always tell it was designed as an off-road performance machine. In comparison, I also had the first gen SWorks FSR and that thing was a noodle!

Edit: All the frames and forks I have mentioned were manufactured by Giant Bicycles in Taiwan.

Last edited by TiHabanero; 10-25-20 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-25-20, 05:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Having built and ridden a Cadex CFR-1 and an Allez Epic... the CFR is mo’ better IMO.

Cadex CFR-1: DA7700, can’t remember the wheels, FSA crankset. Lighter than normal and a really good handler.
Allez Epic: Shimano 5600 in black, can’t remember those wheels, either. A bit flexible and cushy over 50 miles.

I can’t think of a performance category in which I’d prefer the Epic to the CFR-1, but the Epic was cooler when hanging out, and for relaxed rides, I’d choose it.

Pretty much the same results as @TiHabanero.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-25-20 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-25-20, 08:15 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Having built and ridden a Cadex CFR-1 and an Allez Epic... the CFR is mo’ better IMO.

Cadex CFR-1: DA7700, can’t remember the wheels, FSA crankset. Lighter than normal and a really good handler.
Allez Epic: Shimano 5600 in black, can’t remember those wheels, either. A bit flexible and cushy over 50 miles.

I can’t think of a performance category in which I’d prefer the Epic to the CFR-1, but the Epic was cooler when hanging out, and for relaxed rides, I’d choose it.

Pretty much the same results as @TiHabanero.
interesting ! I guess i’ll have to try the Epic for myself but it’s nice to read know more about others’ experiences.

By any chance, do you remember what used to be the difference between a CFR 1 / 2 / 3 ? Do you have to consider them in this order? Was it just a matter of components?