Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with Handlebar Choice

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help with Handlebar Choice

Old 10-25-20, 08:48 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
I’ve been good with these. Noirette plus, from Amazon. Multiple hand positions. Comfortable angles. We’re all different, ymmv.
Old 10-27-20, 12:05 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Here’s a list from Bikepacking.com published last year. Lots of appealing options. https://bikepacking.com/index/comfort-mtb-handlebars/

Old 10-27-20, 02:04 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Jones H Bar

I went from Mountain Bike handlebars with a minimum sweep to Jones H Bars. Comfort level went way up. BTW if you are looking for a more upright position...if you change handlebars don't forget to adjust your front-aft position on your seat.
Old 10-27-20, 06:00 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Check out Eregotec (https://www.ergotec.de/en/products/l...ng-lenker.html) for lots of options. If you don't have a dealer locally, you can often pick them up for a reasonable price on eBay.
Old 10-27-20, 06:52 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
I went from Mountain Bike handlebars with a minimum sweep to Jones H Bars. Comfort level went way up. BTW if you are looking for a more upright position...if you change handlebars don't forget to adjust your front-aft position on your seat.
I’d be careful about changing the fore-aft saddle position much. That really comes first and then you choose a stem to get the reach right. OTOH, do expect to get a much longer stem if you switch to a bar that sweeps back.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-28-20, 04:02 PM
Indigo82

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I recently rode my bike for 216 kilometres (134 miles) and afterwards had problems with my elbow. Although I had super comfy grips which are clone of Ergon grips, the handlebar was more or less straight. So I was thinking a lot what to do with this situation because obviously some strain to elbows comes from flat handlebar, similar to what regular computer mouse does to your hand wrist in comparison to vertical mouse. Since I can't access some fancy equipment in time of coronavirus, I purchased classical Dutch handlebar and modified it to make something similar to Surly Moloko Bar and such.

These are the photos after modification. I added bar ends in the middle and put some foam grips to them. Also I put foam grips in the middle since there is plenty of space there with this type of handlebar. Of course main grips are located at the side and I put some ergonomic grips I could find at that moment. All in all, it seems there will be more positions for hands now in addition to more upright riding position. It all cost me 20 USD.

There is a picture how this Dutch bar looks on another bike I found on internet. It doesn't look as if it has many positions. But it has that considerable sweep back like Jones H Bar or Surly Moloko Bar or Orange Crazy Bar. This will help with strain on wrists and elbows during 200+ km rides. Also, unlike these branded aforementioned bars, this generic Dutch bar is riser, almost idential to the above post number 10 just that I have added bar ends and grips in the middle too. https://www.bikeforums.net/21735097-post10.html

This is how my old handlebar looked like. Although very comfy it made issues on super long rides because I had one main position (very comfortable) and bar end position, but obviously that wasn't enough. Ok, I must admit, on super long rides no handlebar will save you from the pain in the end, but at least we can try and experiment to minimize the chances for injury.

Old 10-29-20, 10:51 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Indigo82
IThese are the photos after modification. I added bar ends in the middle and put some foam grips to them. Also I put foam grips in the middle since there is plenty of space there with this type of handlebar. Of course main grips are located at the side and I put some ergonomic grips I could find at that moment. All in all, it seems there will be more positions for hands now in addition to more upright riding position. It all cost me 20 USD.

What kind of bar ends are those? I’ve wanted to try bar ends on the inner section of my touring bars, but my Scott ends don’t like to go around curves, since they are designed for precisely the 22.2mm diameter of the straight bar.

Otto
Old 10-30-20, 11:17 AM
Indigo82

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
What kind of bar ends are those? I’ve wanted to try bar ends on the inner section of my touring bars, but my Scott ends don’t like to go around curves, since they are designed for precisely the 22.2mm diameter of the straight bar.

Otto
Well those are some very affordable steel bar ends similar to the one in the picture below:

I paid them around 6 dollars. The good thing about this design is that normally they can't go around curves on my main bar but you can use some tool to make the opening wider just enough so that you can go around the curve. I used hammer and inserted angled part into the opening of the bar end, then I pressed it into the opening (it was some force indeed) against the floor, bar end got a little bit wider so I could navigate it around the curves on the main bar. Later on I used the supplied screw and tightened the bar end so it returned in its initial state. I believe this is easily accomplished with steel bar ends and the steel is more flexible and resilient to aluminum to bending and deformations so you won't damage bar ends.
Likes For Indigo82:
Old 10-30-20, 12:27 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Indigo82
Well those are some very affordable steel bar ends similar to the one in the picture below:

I paid them around 6 dollars. The good thing about this design is that normally they can't go around curves on my main bar but you can use some tool to make the opening wider just enough so that you can go around the curve. I used hammer and inserted angled part into the opening of the bar end, then I pressed it into the opening (it was some force indeed) against the floor, bar end got a little bit wider so I could navigate it around the curves on the main bar. Later on I used the supplied screw and tightened the bar end so it returned in its initial state. I believe this is easily accomplished with steel bar ends and the steel is more flexible and resilient to aluminum to bending and deformations so you won't damage bar ends.
Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense. I’ll keep a look out for ends like that. My Scott bar ends would not like to be mangled in that way.

Otto