Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mr Whirly compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mr Whirly compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 03:43 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
Mr Whirly compatibility

I've got a mtb with a bad creak I can't diagnose/fix -- synchronized with right pedal stroke, in or out of the saddle. I tried different pedals, replaced the bottom bracket, greased the chainring bolts, looked for frame cracks but couldn't find any.

Since all that didn't work, I'm thinking the problem might be the crankset (shimano triple on octalink v2). I've got a Surly Mr Whirly crankset laying around from my Krampus, and was thinking about trying that out, maybe for permanent, but at least to check out if the creak goes away.

But I'm having trouble determining whether it would fit -- if it's a no-go from the start I won't bother trying.

68mm/English shell should be fine, but I don't know about the width, especially since Krampus is a plus-tire bike.

Mr Whirly spec describes available spindles as Short, Medium, Mondo, Super Mondo, but I can't see any actual lengths. Existing BB is an octolink v2 68/118. Any idea if a Mr Whirly from a Krampus would play in there?
Old 10-24-20, 11:59 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Is the noise there in all gears? I assume you have locked the suspension? Under what kind of riding conditions? Noises are tricky, but it can help if you get someone else to ride it past you so you can hear it from a different 'viewpoints.
Old 10-24-20, 12:06 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Have you greased the splines on the Octalink bb spindle and have you torqued the crank bolts adequately? The installation torque is about 400 inch-pounds which is much higher than most riders realize and can't be even approached with a standard 8 mm allen key.
Old 10-24-20, 02:42 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Geepig
Is the noise there in all gears? I assume you have locked the suspension? Under what kind of riding conditions? Noises are tricky, but it can help if you get someone else to ride it past you so you can hear it from a different 'viewpoints.
Yes I think it's in multiple gears. It's a hardtail, so no suspension issues, or at least I don't think it could be from the fork. It has gotten so bad it is in all conditions, including riding around the cul de sac.
Old 10-24-20, 02:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by HillRider
Have you greased the splines on the Octalink bb spindle and have you torqued the crank bolts adequately? The installation torque is about 400 inch-pounds which is much higher than most riders realize and can't be even approached with a standard 8 mm allen key.
Cleaned, and a tiny bit of grease on the octalink (not to mention swapped original octalink for a new bb), and torqued the bolts down with all my 240lb weight on a big beefy like 8in allen wrench, not just a little key
Old 10-25-20, 10:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Problem solved. Turns out that, in addition to probably loose BB cups that got tightened on reinstall, the chain was dry beyond squeaky into crunchy.

I was rotating the chain backwards looking for the quicklink to take it off for the test swap to Mr Whirly with narrow-wide 28T (only realized after I wouldn't have needed to swap chains to test), and noticed that chain was not happy going backwards. Lubed it up and all is right with the world.

Thread closed.