Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub ratchet tooth count (DT Swiss)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-22, 10:13 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts

My bike is new and I'm not planning on doing this "mod", just curious. My DT Swiss LN freehub comes stock with an 18 tooth ratchet mechanism. There appears to be 36t and 54t upgrade kits being offered. In what situations would someone benefit from these upgrades? I'm a roadie, not a racer nor do I ride in extreme situations. I understand they increase the engagement response, but for an average rider?

Just wondering.
Old 08-31-22, 08:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
It's a subtle difference and the only difference is the reengagement lag when you start pedaling after coasting.

You'll notice it the most it fairly high speeds like when you're coasting down a hill and want to start peddling again to climb the next hill.

If this isn't bothering you now, save your money for something where you'll feel more benefit.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-31-22, 09:06 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If this isn't bothering you now, save your money for something where you'll feel more benefit.
It's not bothering me at all. Just curious and wondering if there was something I was missing.
Old 08-31-22, 09:08 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
There is some debate on the "robustness" of the 36 and 54t "upgrades" vs the 18t. The more shallow engagement angle of the higher tooth count ratchets might be less robust....I believe the new 350 hybrid hubs are going to come 24t when they come out.

My Hybrid 350 hub has the 18t and I find it perfectly adequate as a road biker. I did have some trouble with engagement within my first 100 miles but my dealer cleaned some grease off the teeth, put it back together (in about 30 seconds) and all has been well since....

I weight 280#, so durability / robustness is a key factor for me.....

Last edited by 55tele; 08-31-22 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-31-22, 09:21 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Well, 18 POE is 20* of wheel rotation, 36 is 10*. Does that matter when the wheel is spinning reasonably fast?

Seems that this would matter more for MTB, when going slow and using really low gear ratios with larger diameter tires (29ers). Possible it helps on technical terrain?

Last edited by KCT1986; 08-31-22 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-22, 09:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Well, 18 POE is 20* of wheel rotation, 36 is 10*. Does that matter when the wheel is spinning reasonably fast?

Seems that this would matter more for MTB, when going slow and using really low gear ratios with larger diameter tires (29ers). Possible it helps on technical terrain?
I think so, especially when one is plodding uphill? 20 degrees is quite a bit.

Let me also be the first to point out that going from 18T to 36T freehub doubles the frequency of the angry swarm of bees effect while coasting at speed.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-01-22, 01:06 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
The 18T feels genuinely slow on a mountain bike, and possibly could be meaningful for cyclocross and possibly crit racing on road. Fast engagement doesn't really make much difference for most road riders. I have done a lot of road/CX riding on low engagement hubs and it's never an issue for me.

On a mountain bike, it's a pretty small amount of the time but 18T makes timing pedal strokes when I'm worried about pedal clearance. 36T is fine, higher than that is probably useful for those who regularly ratchet through sections or utilize some trials-like skills.
Old 09-02-22, 02:16 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
It's not bothering me at all. Just curious and wondering if there was something I was missing.
You are not missing anything. Perhaps if you were riding trick bikes you'd want really close engagement. Otherwise it is a total non-issue that some folks like to hype.
Likes For KerryIrons: