Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

What are some of your "maintenance" rides?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 09:26 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts

We all have a few. Sometimes it can feel like a rut, but you know you're getting your miles in for that day.

My universal starting point is El Dorado Park in Long Beach. Ride 6 miles south and I'm on PCH. I then head south on PCH all the while trying to decide how far I'll go that day. These are usually when I'm riding alone and can set my own pace. Probably 60% of my rides are to one or the other of these turnaround points.

North end of Bolsa Chica = 18 miles
Huntington Beach Pier = 28 miles
Santa Ana River Trail = 35 miles
Crystal Cove = 51 miles

The less desireable rides (below) are highly dependent upon the winds that day. Having to fight a headwind home on the SGRT can really have you questioning why you're out there that day.

North on the SGRT to the Pico River Golf Course = 25 miles
North SGRT to the Santa Fe dam = 50 miles.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-12-23, 09:54 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Don't have the mileages handy & sometimes they'll vary as I might switch up streets a bit but mostly (starting from my house @ Brookhurst/La Palma:

Over to Santa Ana Cyn Road east to Gypsum, over the 91, East on La Palma up to SAG at Brush Cyn Park. Back home via La Palma/SART.

Over to Cambridge, south to Walnut, west to Ninth St., south to Lampson, east to Los Alamitos, north to Los Coyotes Trail off on Wardlow or South St. back home.

Over to Hewes through Villa Park then down to Fowler St. (just past El Modena Park) then to Fairhaven Ext./Old Foothill/Foothill to Newport Blvd. South to La Colina, east to Tustin Ranch Rd., south to

Warner, past the blimp hangars to Red Hill, south to Main/Sunflower, back up SART to home. Sometimes I'll go up to SAG at the Chevron at Jamboree/Sant. Cyn, then down to Portola, over to the Peters Cyn trail

to Walnut, back west to Tustin Ranch, West on El Camino Real to Browning, then back up La Colina/Newport/Foothill etc.

West over to Santa Gertrudes up to Whittier Blvd east to Puente, down to Central/St. College east on Birch up Kraemer/Santa Fe, Rose/Wabash/Valley View/Lakeview/Bastanchury/Village Center/YL Blvd./Then back home via SART or S A Cyn Road.

It's not too difficult to use bike-friendly roads and ones with minimal traffic early weekends.

West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 06-12-23, 12:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I love the Puente-Whittier Hills and 90% of my rides involves them in some way.
I have time constraints so the biggest bang for the buck is to start from home and get climbing.
My rides are usually 4 to 6 hours and 30-60 miles depending on the climbing.

I have about five rides with dozens of variations that include punchy climbs in the Turnbull Canyon, Whittier Hills, La Habra Hgts, Rowland Hgts and Hacienda Heights (Punta Del Este area). It is all relative to how I'm feeling that day and how much climbing I want to do.

Checkout CAT7RDR on ridewithgps if you want particulars as there are dozens of routes posted.

If I ever make more time, I would like to get back to the San Gabriels starting from home and visit West Fork/Cogswell Dam and make a century loop out of GMR/GRR/Mt Baldy Village.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-12-23 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-12-23, 12:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
My quick "happy hour" ride is a MTB ride up to Brown Saddle and down via the Meadows or Millard Canyon. It's about 9 miles, and is 0:55-1:05 of ride time depending on my pace and which finishing route I choose. I tend to do this on Tuesdays after work, most weeks. It always puts me in a good mood.

I tend to rotate between my road, gravel, and MTB, so feeling like I'm in a rut or getting bored of the same thing isn't too big of an issue. Although I tend to do the same types of rides on the same days of the week, I can easily switch it up to keep things fresh.
Old 06-15-23, 12:24 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Climbing the Griffith Observatory is my weekly maintenance ride. I can easily keep climbing up and down via all the fire roads and then do some flat mile laps around Zoo Drive. My quick ride is riding to and around the Rose Bowl and back. For gravel, I also do Brown Mountain and Cherry Canyon if I'm in the area. With summer coming up, I'm also doing more night rides. If anything, most my rides are 20-30 miles long, I just don't have time for all-day riding.