Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frame mounting a Lezyne mini pump

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 10:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

I bought the Lezyne Gauge Drive HP to replaced an aged and quite a bit bigger Topeak that I had.

It's a nice looking pump and I like the gauge/hose combo that this pump offers.
However, of concern is that the mounting bracket and pump don't really seem to have any means of bracing the top half of the pump to the bottom half. There seems to be nothing stopping the pump from extending by itself from a ride's normal bumps and vibrations that will occur?

You'll see from the second photo that my old Topeak had a flange shaped into the pump that with the frame bracket, prevented the pump from opening/sliding in opposite directions?

Any thoughts/solutuions? I could always use a bit of electrical tape, but that's a one-time use solution.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0738.jpg (92.8 KB, 82 views)
IMG_0739.jpg (90.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 05-01-15, 10:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
The Lezyne should have a black rubber ring around the body to which the handle-end snaps onto when pushed close. It will hold it securely. I use one of the carbon versions mounted on my seatpost boss with the handle down (I like the look of the visually heavier end downward) and not even gravity working in conjunction with vibration has caused it to open or extend.

On a pedantic note, "frame mounting" in the bicycle pump world refers to using frame junctions to secure the pump. What you have is a water bottle cage boss mounted pump clip for a mini pump.
Old 05-01-15, 10:34 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Chaadster said, Lezyne either has the little black ring that holds on via friction, or some of their mini pumps have a slight lip that slots into the gap/slot on the frame mount.
Old 05-01-15, 10:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Pulled from the Lezyne website.. the pump looks like this. nothing more or less came with my pump. You both are saying there should be some other part that I'm missing? The lip (if you can see it) on the handle is so small, that the bracket is ineffective in holding pump closed or from sliding in the bracket.
Attached Images
Old 05-01-15, 11:07 AM
k_kibbler

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's mounted correctly in your first pic. There are no other parts. Have you actually experienced the pump extending by itself on a bumpy ride, or just concerned about the possibility? I've never had that happen for the short period that I used the bottle cage mounted bracket. Now I stick it into a jersey pocket.
Old 05-01-15, 11:18 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by k_kibbler
It's mounted correctly in your first pic. There are no other parts. Have you actually experienced the pump extending by itself on a bumpy ride, or just concerned about the possibility? I've never had that happen for the short period that I used the bottle cage mounted bracket. Now I stick it into a jersey pocket.
This solves everything
Old 05-01-15, 11:24 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
I had it on the none drive side so my bike can pose better with it. Than I just started to stick it in my pocket.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-01-15, 11:28 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
i have never had an issue with mine. the bracket holds both the top and the bottom of the pump securely, so it won't extend.
Old 05-01-15, 11:30 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a road drive and it never moves, no need to worry about it.
Old 05-01-15, 11:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I tried it on the non drive side but it comes too close to cadence magnet on the crank arm.
Old 05-01-15, 11:48 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I think you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I have a Lezyne mini pump mounted on my cross bike like in your photo, and it stays put.
Old 05-01-15, 12:32 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I always mount my mini pumps with the pump head facing down. It prevents the pump handle from extending.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-01-15, 01:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by dr_lha
I think you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I have a Lezyne mini pump mounted on my cross bike like in your photo, and it stays put.
Maybe I am at that.. I don't want to risk it though.. if the pump creeps and extends while riding, its going to drop straight into my chainrings. I 'fixed' (what admittedly might not be broken) by simply doing a few wraps of electrical tape around the pump above the bottom bracket holder -- preventing this smooth surfaced pump from sliding any further down.. it's the black band that goes a bit under the velcro strap but above the 2nd (from bottom) bracket. pic
Attached Images
IMG_0740.jpg (83.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 05-01-15, 01:51 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
OP, I have a Topeak Race Rocket that was vibrating annoyingly at that junction you mentioned in your post. A little electrical tape around the junction fixed the vibration issue. I am sure it can fix your worry about the barrel extending automatically at that junction.
Old 05-01-15, 01:52 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
My bottle cage mount Lezyne has never budged on bumps.

I'm not sure why anyone would want it in their pocket instead. Mounted on the bike you can't even tell it's there... unless you look, and just seeing it there bothers you somehow.
Old 05-01-15, 02:22 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe I am at that.. I don't want to risk it though.. if the pump creeps and extends while riding, its going to drop straight into my chainrings. I 'fixed' (what admittedly might not be broken) by simply doing a few wraps of electrical tape around the pump above the bottom bracket holder -- preventing this smooth surfaced pump from sliding any further down.. it's the black band that goes a bit under the velcro strap but above the 2nd (from bottom) bracket. pic
That looks fine. The velcro strap is holding onto the lower part of the pump and gravity plus the teeny lip on the pump handle keeps the top part from extending much if at all. Just make sure the strap is tight and you're good to go. I've never had any of my Lezyne minipumps migrate enough in the bracket to be a problem.
Old 05-02-15, 07:44 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I have a road drive and it never moves, no need to worry about it.
Same here. The holder doesn't feel as stable as others (there's no satisfying "snap" into place), but it works. Pull the velcro tight and it never moves.