Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crashing a 3 wheeler . . .

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 02:06 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts

I done that loads o` times as a nipper. My trike got fixed at a local motorbike dealers. On several occasions, and wferelding was called for. Because my trike got ridden a lot.

Just wondering, for those who`ve made the transition from the grown up (2 wheeled) bike; have you turned it over, or crashed in some way, and . . . .

Were the results more favourable than with the two wheeler? And if you ride a recumbant, please chip in.
Old 10-01-16, 03:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Not really pertinent but this reminded me of the first time I rode a three-wheeled ATV (remember those?) I literally hit the broad side of a barn. I was uninjured, and my girlfriend's father was unimpressed.
Old 10-01-16, 03:48 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've never crashed my trike; however I launched a load of horse poop up over the seat when I straddled it wrong.
Old 10-02-16, 06:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Yeah, it happens. I have a Catrike 559. If I make too sudden of a turn while riding at a good clip, it'll go over. If I clamp on both brakes hard it'll lift the rear wheel until the bash guard on the crankset hits the ground. Fortunately, the Catrike comes standard with a rear fender so no horse poop incidents yet.

I'm sure that I could give you a more detailed and helpful answer if I knew why you were asking.
Old 10-02-16, 07:52 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Yeah, it happens. I have a Catrike 559. If I make too sudden of a turn while riding at a good clip, it'll go over. If I clamp on both brakes hard it'll lift the rear wheel until the bash guard on the crankset hits the ground. Fortunately, the Catrike comes standard with a rear fender so no horse poop incidents yet.

I'm sure that I could give you a more detailed and helpful answer if I knew why you were asking.
Purely collecting info for when that transition day arrives . . . . nobody rides a bike expecting never to crash it.
Old 10-02-16, 08:00 AM
rdmjr

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've got a Sun EZ-Tad, and I've rolled it twice. Once was to avoid hitting a dog on one of those extendable leashes held by a clueless owner - no damage, aside from muddy clothes, since it was onto very soggy ground. The other time, I just wasn't paying attention, and tried to stop sideways on a slope that turned out to be just a little too steep. No damage on that one either, since I initially stopped the roll by putting my hand on the ground, but couldn't figure out any other way out of my predicament except to finish the roll. I'm sure I looked like Arte Johnson on Laugh-In both times...
Old 10-02-16, 02:04 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The likelihood of turning it over (flipping) is slight if you learn the handling characteristics of the trike and ride accordingly Tadpole trikes with low centers of gravity are more difficult to get up on two wheels in a turn than trikes with higher seating like the delta trikes or some high-seating tadpole trikes for people who can't get out of the low tadpole seats. Crashing into a fixed or moving object like a car turning into your path would be about the same as it would be for a regular bike. In more than 40,000 miles on recumbent trikes I have only flipped once and that was at slow speeds, demonstrating the trike to a friend. That's not to say I haven't had the trike on two wheels many times in fast sharp turns and raised the rear wheel by stopping fast but none of those times were outside of the zone where the trike would overturn. I've never crashed in all of those miles. That's why I abandoned two wheeled recumbents for the trikes.
Old 10-02-16, 02:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I don't know that I've ever seen one. Anyone have a picture they can share?
Old 10-03-16, 06:30 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I was in the co-op last week and they had 2 Schwinn trikes in, both bikes with both rear wheels bent sideways. I asked and was told the riders had been looking at something and ran off onto a slope. I expect it happened on the rail trail.
Old 10-03-16, 07:49 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I did flip my tadpole recumbent trike. Quick turn to avoid some mud. I got muddy. The trike looked like a dead elephant laying on its side. My trike is built for carrying four panniers, so the seat is higher than some tadpoles. Very fun cruising on the trike. I mostly ride it in the winter.
Old 10-04-16, 07:35 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I don't know what kind of trike peterws is referring to, but most of the rest of responders think first of a tadpole recumbent when discussing trikes.

Certainly not the only kind, but very certainly the most popular. What's with the idea of a 2-wheel bike being "grown-up?"