Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ever have a driver compliment you?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 05:09 PM
Sentinel04
NoVA/DC Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I was approaching Washington Blvd on Wilson Blvd heading west in Arlington when I stopped at a light and a woman rolls down her window (I am going straight, she is to my right in the right hand turning lane). I expected to hear some version of "get off da road!" or "get on the sidewalk!"

But no, she said she appreciated that I signaled and road responsibly. She thanked me and left, all I could say was "no problem" before she was gone. Pretty funny, not at all what I expecting. Oh cagers, how am I supposed to hate you when you are polite? Oh well, one will probably try to kill me tomorrow.
Old 05-26-10, 06:22 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was it your mother?
Old 05-26-10, 06:41 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few years ago, riding to work in the pre-dawn gray, I had a young mother roll down her window and tell me my taillight was a great idea, made it easy to see me. I replied to the effect that THAT was the idea -- with a smile.

Not another one before or since.
Old 05-26-10, 06:51 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stopped at a four way stop sign waiting for the car on my right to go first. As he went through the intersection, he rolled down his window and said:

"Thank you for stopping."

I said back to him:

"Ummmm, you're welcome?"
Old 05-26-10, 07:18 PM
TuckamoreDew

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding in stop-and-go traffic a couple of years ago and was signalling stop every time I stopped even though each advance was only about 15 feet or so. I wasn't really doing it consciously, it's just automatic by now. Once I got through the traffic obstruction the driver who had been directly behind me moved into the lane to my left and at the next stop light said "Great signalling!" and gave me a thumbs up. I was so surprised I didn't know what to say to her and just said "Thanks". It really made my day. Of course it's only happened once.
Old 05-26-10, 07:28 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Given some of the cager invective that gets tossed around this place, I wonder if sometimes the more telling question is whether a compliment has ever flown in the other direction.

Good for you, OP, for riding responsibly. On a per capita basis, I increasingly believe there are more psycho bikers than psycho cagers. Its just their irresponsibility is less potent.
Old 05-26-10, 08:20 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been complimented on my lights by a driver (we were waiting at a red light).
Old 05-26-10, 08:31 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Back in March, I had a driver give me kudos for riding so early in the season this year. It seems he was a cyclist too, but not ready to face the cold at the time.

This past Friday, riding in the rain, a driver honked at me (three quick beeps) as he drove past. Since I wasn't in his way at all (I was riding on a MUT parallel to the road) and there were no other cars around, I took it as a compliment for braving the elements.
Old 05-26-10, 08:35 PM
cannonman

Bikes: 20006 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, 2010 Cannondale Adventure 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy and I stopped for a light and a guy stopped in a truck next to us, rolled down the window, and told us refreshing it was to see cyclists stop at a red light.
Old 05-26-10, 08:51 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a carload of teenage girls yell "nice butt" as they drove by, I caught them at the next light and signaled for them to roll down the window and told them "we all know its not true,but you made an old mans day" We all laughed and off they went hootin and squealing as only teenagers can do. It was funny for sure.
Old 05-26-10, 09:02 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I got a beep from behind in construction traffic from a fish delivery box truck. A block down the road, two lanes over, I called over from the left turn lane "hey what's the rush?" He waved and called out "You've got the right idea!" I brightened up and waved back. It was a nice thing.

Not really an on the road driver interaction -- but today, my boss, with whom I had an unfortunate string of falling-outs this year, cheerfully asked about my riding, if I were still at it in this "heat."

We had a really very delightful chat there with the secretaries that ended with him considering riding in this summer. Glad to be on better terms now-- it was like closure. Very cool.
Old 05-26-10, 09:04 PM
Limey1212
English Bloke

Bikes: I presently ride a Fuji Sportif 1.1, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra '09, a "home brew" Cyclocross, and a Trek Allant.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep just last week at a four way stop, (yes shock, horror I actually stopped at it). Driver coming the opposite way complemented me on my front light, (Planet Bike Superflash).
Old 05-26-10, 09:42 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
I had a carload of teenage girls yell "nice butt" as they drove by, I caught them at the next light and signaled for them to roll down the window and told them "we all know its not true,but you made an old mans day" We all laughed and off they went hootin and squealing as only teenagers can do. It was funny for sure.
Saved me a post. Feels awesome.
Old 05-26-10, 10:03 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I get a lot of "nice legs" comments... just wish it was the girls doing it.

Seriously... now that it is nice enough to roll down your windows I have gotten quite a few positive comments about lights, lane position, or my bike and have had very few drive bys where someone was obviously annoyed I was sharing their space.
Old 05-26-10, 10:39 PM
Jtgyk

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two years ago, when I started commuting at 395lbs., I would get random people cheering me on and applauding.

Last Fall I had some kids follow me and honk a couple times. When we stopped at a light, the passenger rolled down the window and I thought I was going to get the standard abuse...but he said he was surprised that I was going so fast. When the light changed, they paced me calling out the speed (I didn't have a computer at the time) and cheering me on. I was amazed that I hit 25mph and was still accelerating when I had to make my next turn.
As I made my turn and we went our separate ways, I rode the next mile or so, slowly, to try and keep my heart from exploding. (heh)

This Spring I had a Patron come in to the library and say that I ride past her house everyday on my way to work, and that she really admired my dedication.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 05-26-10, 11:09 PM
lnferno
(◣_◢)

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er | Marin ALP Fairfax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder how many of the cagers giving compliments actually ride themselves?
Old 05-27-10, 01:24 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
With all the lights I run with at night, I often get compliments for being visible...

BTW... My avatar and my signature images are actual photos of my bike.
Old 05-27-10, 03:25 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often have motorbike riders give me a thumbs up as they go past.

z
Old 05-27-10, 05:13 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually I've had a lot of compliments this year. must be the shorts. some have noted the lights, some have asked how far I've been riding, some have actually oogled me as I rode by :-) I'm not that good looking but it made my ride sweeter, some have waved a friendly wave. must be the nice weather.... I suspect it's the gas prices and folks realizing bike riders are doing the right thing.
Old 05-27-10, 06:01 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've gotten compliments for my tail-lights several times. Sometimes drivers wave or give me a thumbs-up. I've gotten the "nice butt" call from teenage girls several times as well as "go Lance." At one traffic light, a guy in a pickup truck beside me rolled down his window to talk. I was expected a lecture about getting off the road, but instead he asked how far I rode and then said "I wish I could do that."
Old 05-27-10, 07:12 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I was waiting for my train downtown, I was riding around the parking lot where there was a kind of mass rummage sale. I was just rolling slowly around in granny gear, and one lady said: "Hey legs! Stop riding and come buy something!" All she had was junk, so I just smiled and kept riding. Then, she said to her friend: "Not that I was looking. But I was, hehehe" She was a good 20 years older than me, but I don't mind. Beggars can't be choosers.

As for the lights, I had one guy at the train station say he came up behind me and the red blinker is a good idea and that it works.

But the best and most frequent compliment is when I'm riding a dawn, dusk, or night, and I have my lights on, people give me lots of room when they pass. In broad daylight, they pass much closer in general. It is almost like the lights qualify me as more of a vehicle to them...

Cagers really like it when we stop at lights & signs. For some reason, it really burns them up that we can get away with rolling through almost every one. I find that if I roll through a stop sign because it is safe to do so, I get passed much more closely than if I stop. It is like I earn their respect by sacrificing my momentum.

Since I've always ridden bikes, I never understood that mentality. Whenever I was driving and saw a cyclist roll a light or sign, I always smiled & thought: "He deserves that privelege for going to the trouble of riding a bike."

People who don't ride don't realize (or have forgotten) how much work it is to start from a stop over and over again compared to keeping moving.
Old 05-27-10, 08:32 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get the usual "Can I ride?" from some creep who thinks his car is the best thing in town.
Old 05-27-10, 09:04 AM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've gotten the "great lights!" comment a couple of times. One was particularly comforting because it was on a super dark street (some of the streetlights weren't working) and the driver was backing out of his driveway and yelled that he could see me and thanks for using the lights. Apparently the streetlight thing was a big concern to the residents and lots of complaints were sent to the city maintenance.

I do my best to stop at each stop sign or at the very least come to a standing stop. One driver thanked me for stopping at the signs. The stop sign stops are the toughest, especially since the rule is one foot has to touch the ground. It's difficult to restart quickly and even harder if this happens uphill. And then of course there is the anger when most of the cars I see on my route roll through the stop sign even when there is traffic at the intersection.

I'm guessing my left turn signal abilities are epic because the past several days drivers have commented on it. Not sure what I'm doing other than signalling the left turn and heading to the left part of the lane... I swear there is no bell or sparkles emanating from my arm.
Old 05-27-10, 09:20 AM
corkscrew

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've gotten compliments on my lights before. "We could really see you!" "Hey nice lights!". Granted, if I were female the "nice lights" might have meant something else.

That being said, riding home yesterday a guy drove slowly by, and when I looked over, he flashed the peace sign.

Last edited by corkscrew; 05-27-10 at 09:20 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 05-27-10, 09:27 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, a couple of times.

They were impressed that I was riding instead of driving a car.

The other time a fellow Nebraska alum complimented me on my Husker cycling jersey. My wife thinks I'm asking for trouble wearing it amongst all of the Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri fans but so far no problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.