Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

SA S3X commuting experiences?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 05:48 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd sworn off riding multi-geared, but age and a knee that's now experiencing "trauma induced pre-arthritis" (old injury > surgery, pre-orthoscopic)--that makes it damned difficult to start up again at stops with the ol' efficiency--had me thinking that I might have to go back to a cassette freewheel. So much for solemn oaths . . .

Then I saw the S3X again, and in a new light. A revelation. I've now got the S3X hub built around a Deep V rim and hope to start commuting full time on the wheel next week. Just waiting for the SA set of cogs (14t-17t for experimenting with 48t chainring) to arrive in my mail box. At $6/cog, I'll happily wait fur 'em.

Anyone been using this hub for regular commuting?

Last edited by f1xedgear; 11-01-11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 07:48 AM
waxnomadic
Velosopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f1xedgear
Anyone been using this hub for regular commuting?
No, but I've been tempted. Keep us posted on how you like it. You're the guinea pig...
Old 09-15-10, 09:16 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I've got a track bike I built up with the S3X hub; I will not be using it for commuting. Or, rather, if I did, it would be a fair weather, light load kind of commute. I have bikes with Shimano 8sp Nexus and another with a 44/32 x 11-34 drivetrain and I tend to use most gears on both bikes over the course of my commute--no way I'd do fixed even with the 3sp hub other than maybe a couple times just to say I did it. Fun bike to tool around town on; not the most useful thing in the world.
Old 09-15-10, 10:29 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waxnomadic
. . . Keep us posted on how you like it. . .
For me it really is a question of cycling and not cycling. I want to continue to ride an FG, and this gives me the option, I think/hope. When I don't have the option anymore, I'll ride my moto.

I've backed my gearing off to a 48x17. Once I get my knee spinning and remain seated, I can crunch fine. As I said, it's those starts from a dead stop where I need to put extra force on the knee to get moving that's mucking things up. I'm thinking now that I'll keep gearing normally in direct-drive, but shift down at stops. I am also imagining that on those cold, dark, wet winter commutes having a 3rd gearing option could help to keep me .

I'll give a report in due course.
Old 09-18-10, 04:37 PM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The set up

Here's a quick (poor-quality) pic of my set up on my Mercier Kilo WT. Comments to follow, sometime.

Old 09-18-10, 05:50 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested in hearing about the strength of these hubs. Can they withstand constant trackstands? I am not much of a skid-stopper but trackstanding seems to really put strain on my chains. I wonder if these hubs will hold up.
Old 11-30-10, 01:08 PM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

I've been cyclocommuting on the S3X daily over the past two months. So far I love the thing. I can't comment on durability yet, maybe after a year's worth of riding. I don't skid, and I don't do track stands.

The only hiccup I had was an uphill start from a dead stop. I shifted into 2nd while stopped, and when I put the pressure on to move through the intersection, I went into one the false neutrals. Luckily I didn't crack the crotch or fall over. My foot disengaged from the pedal and went straight to the pavement. In retrospect I a) failed to make sure I heard/felt two shifting clicks, and b) I should have shifted while still moving or spun the wheel at the stop to make sure 2nd was properly engaged.

It's performing as I hoped it would, so far.

Old 11-30-10, 01:29 PM
FKMTB07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool place for the shifter!
Old 11-30-10, 02:35 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I use it for workouts and I love it - the low gearing is perfect for tacking into a headwind and in a tailwind, I ride all the way back in high. Most of the time I ride in the direct gear.

It makes fixed gear riding fun! I highly recommend it!
Old 11-30-10, 03:30 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=f1xedgear;11863832]I've been cyclocommuting on the S3X daily over the past two months. So far I love the thing. I can't comment on durability yet, maybe after a year's worth of riding...It's performing as I hoped it would, so far.

Did you have to mount the shifter here or did you have the option of mounting it on the handlebars? Mounted where it is it would seem a little chancey for urban commuting to me. By that I mean taking one's hand off the hbrs and reaching down and behind one's leg while riding to shift. Though I DO like the idea of the shorter cable length for less adjustments. My commute is 20 mi, mostly rural and I spend alot of time in one gear, so I think I could mount it there and be alright. The thing I like about this system is the idea of being able to drop down to 75% in the event of a headwind. And I've got a 500 ft difference in elevation on my way home w/an 18% grade on one big hill. So, I believe the 67.5% gearing would really help there. I'm doing switchbacks as it stands.

Did you build the wheel yourself? If so, what were the spoke lengths used? I build my own wheels which is why I want to know.

I ride fg 2-3 times per week w/a seatpost rack and trunkbag. My gearing is 48x16 lightly loaded. While not experiencing any type of knee trauma...yet, I thought I'd get a head start on the prevention. And for around 150.00 assembled I feel like I'd have a pretty nice, versatile fixed conversion.

Btw, is the shifter indexed or friction? Sorry about all these questions, but I'm thinking of asking for one of these for Christmas and have to justify the expense.
Old 11-30-10, 04:41 PM
silver_ghost

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
I use it for workouts and I love it - the low gearing is perfect for tacking into a headwind and in a tailwind, I ride all the way back in high. Most of the time I ride in the direct gear.
Not to split hairs here, but for the S3X, unlike traditional Sturmey 3 speeds, high is direct drive, with 1st and 2nd being step downs.
Old 11-30-10, 04:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That is so cool.
Old 12-01-10, 07:12 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Did you have to mount the shifter here or did you have the option of mounting it on the handlebars? Mounted where it is it would seem a little chancey for urban commuting to me. By that I mean taking one's hand off the hbrs and reaching down and behind one's leg while riding to shift. Though I DO like the idea of the shorter cable length for less adjustments. My commute is 20 mi, mostly rural and I spend alot of time in one gear, so I think I could mount it there and be alright. The thing I like about this system is the idea of being able to drop down to 75% in the event of a headwind. And I've got a 500 ft difference in elevation on my way home w/an 18% grade on one big hill. So, I believe the 67.5% gearing would really help there. I'm doing switchbacks as it stands.
Yes, it is an option to easily mount the shifter on the bars or the downtube (if ya have a braze-on), but I mounted the shifter on a rear-rack braze-on ‘cause I wasn’t planning to (and don’t) shift much, and I really didn’t want to run a cable up to the bars. It does take a little more thinking to shift, but that also adds to the fun of the thing. It also reminds me of motorcycle suicide shifters. Like you, my cyclocommute is 20m, with about 1/3 on a quiet MUT (the American Tobacco Trail). But there are days, like last night’s ride home, where things like a strong headwind and a long day at work make me appreciate the capacity to shift to a lower gear-inch and spin.

Did you build the wheel yourself? If so, what were the spoke lengths used? I build my own wheels which is why I want to know.
Very much liking the Velocity Deep Vs, I laced the S3X (36H) up with straight 14g 274mm spokes.

I ride fg 2-3 times per week w/a seatpost rack and trunkbag. My gearing is 48x16 lightly loaded. While not experiencing any type of knee trauma...yet, I thought I'd get a head start on the prevention. And for around 150.00 assembled I feel like I'd have a pretty nice, versatile fixed conversion.
My gearing is 48x17, and I’m in direct drive for 99% of my commutes. In the spring I’ll go back, probably, to 48x16. I use the SA cogs, purchased separately from a place called SmallBikeParts.com.

Btw, is the shifter indexed or friction? Sorry about all these questions, but I'm thinking of asking for one of these for Christmas and have to justify the expense.
Indexed. From what I’ve read elsewhere on the Forum, there seems to have been a problem with early shifters, but the latter ones (which I think I have) appear to be fine.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-01-10, 05:27 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f1xedgear
...Merry Christmas!
And to you!

Got it all. Thank you for answering my questions so clearly and specificly. I'm going to print your post and make my case.

My fg is an old Fuji conversion so there's no rack braze-on for the shifter. Have a friend w/a bike shop/repair business and I'll wait until something comes along w/t right type of braze-on.
Old 09-20-12, 06:17 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

I've been using the S3X on my commuter bike for two years. I have over 10k miles on it. No significant issues as yet; seems to be holding up well. Every now and then I miss a shift--most often when just starting a steep uphill climb and most often my fault for not ensuring a solid/engaged shift.
Old 09-20-12, 11:01 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Nice, thanks for the update, f1xedgear! Are your knees still liking it?

I think about trying an S3X every so often, but having high gear as direct-drive with such wide ratios is kind of a turn-off -- to have my regular ~71" as the middle gear, I'd need to run a really big ratio. Please, bring back the ASC!!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-20-12, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its 3/5ths of the 5 speed N 1:1, .75, & .6 ..

You can screw on a freewheel, they threaded the spline tips..

I have an AW3, freewheel down hills is better on my Knees
over the many decades of riding

White Dos Freewheel will offer a split ratio, 2nd cog in space of 1,

but you are back to derailleurs to shove the chain back and forth..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-20-12 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 05:25 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Nice, thanks for the update, f1xedgear! Are your knees still liking it?

I think about trying an S3X every so often, but having high gear as direct-drive with such wide ratios is kind of a turn-off -- to have my regular ~71" as the middle gear, I'd need to run a really big ratio. Please, bring back the ASC!!
Hi there, Thermionic. My knees are still pumping along. FWIW, I got the S3X to help with a prearthritic knee. The harder I pump, the greater freedom from pain I have just walkin' around. Spent two weeks walking the streets/climbing the stairs of Florence and Rome this summer--not a tremor!

I agree that a closer ratio would be more attractive. But, in my case, I'm almost always in direct drive. So, I guess, I'm easier on the hub than someone who would be looking to use the middle gear as a cruising gear.
Old 10-18-12, 05:09 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that this has been a successful modification. I intend to order the S3X wheel set - it comes with all the shifter and mounting hardware - from Bike Island. The top direct/75 percent down/63 percent down gearing appeals to me. I'm currently running 46x16 (freewheel) on my single speed Windsor, and it's a nice ratio for NYC. But there are times against headwinds and on the steep hills in upper Manhattan that being able to drop down a bit would be nice.

I've read elsewhere that ACS freewheels work very well with this hub. Here's a link:

https://s3xfixie.blogspot.com/2012/03...l-problem.html

It's nice to have the option to go freewheel or fixed.