Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

So there's this Boston cabbie who gets arrested...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 11-11-14, 09:17 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

....... for beating up a cyclist, who ran a red light, and hit a pedestrian, putting her in the hospital.
In a perfect world the cabbie would've put the cyclist in the hospital, and the cyclist would be the one in front of a judge for assault and battery with a bike.
Taxi driver faces charges for hitting bicyclist twice ? with fist, then cab - Metro - The Boston Globe

For more context Google "Lucas Brunelle" and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from.
Old 11-11-14, 09:30 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
Brunelle, who is not expected to face criminal charges, called the entire incident “a group ride that went bad.”
It was during a group ride? In the dark?
Old 11-11-14, 09:38 PM
BarryJo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You gotta love this guy for his outrage over the cabbie getting off on $1000 bail while defending himself for what seems to me, instigating the whole thing.
Video:
Taxi Driver Accused Of Beating Bicyclist Who Hit Pedestrian In Boston « CBS Boston

Last edited by BarryJo; 11-11-14 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling sux, grammar sux too
Old 11-11-14, 10:12 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
....... for beating up a cyclist, who ran a red light, and hit a pedestrian, putting her in the hospital.
In a perfect world the cabbie would've put the cyclist in the hospital, and the cyclist would be the one in front of a judge for assault and battery with a bike.
Taxi driver faces charges for hitting bicyclist twice ? with fist, then cab - Metro - The Boston Globe

For more context Google "Lucas Brunelle" and maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from.
You post came across as the cyclist in the wrong as in hit and run.

In a bizarre altercation, a cab driver in Boston allegedly beat up a cyclist who had flagged him down for help following an accident, then drove into him when he tried to prevent him from leaving, authorities said Monday.

The OP makes it seem like the taxi driver is in the right...not that I am condoning hitting people w/ a bike/car/what ever.

Taxi driver in the wrong? yes.

Cyclist in the wrong? yes.

Hopefully the woman makes a full recovery.

I don't get why searching that guy's name changes anything?

Last edited by Team Sarcasm; 11-11-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 10:16 PM
Acquaspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to pile on the speculation, can't wait to see how much bail is set at when he is sued by the woman hit in the first place. Appears he's setting himself up for a bad karma recoil.
Old 11-11-14, 10:28 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The elderly lady has a civil case. The cabbie an assault charge. The cyclist will continue to race and make videos. Another day in the city of brotherly love.
Old 11-11-14, 10:45 PM
Acquaspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running a red light, hitting a pedestrian, and got out with a civil case?? Without knowing the details, the pedestrian got below par legal advise or the rider got extremely lucky or both. And yes, just another day in urban paradise.
Old 11-11-14, 10:45 PM
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The guy (cyclist) seems like a complete jerk. His, and the cab driver's actions were both unjustified. Hope the lady sues the pants off the seemingly arrogant rich dude with no common sense or respect for others.
Old 11-11-14, 10:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
What does this have to do with road cycling?
Old 11-11-14, 10:58 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

What a mess. Stupid cyclist hits a pedestrian, riding on the sidewalk. If you're going to ride on the sidewalk in Boston, you better be riding at the speed of pedestrians. And he did while ignoring the red light... Don't be a dick.

Secondly, flagging down a cab for help? Is he stupid? Why of all people would you ask a cab driver for help? I haven't seen a cab driver show me any courtesy while on a bike in Boston yet. I ride up on the bar, on my 34 carefully in Boston because of cab drivers...
- In the city, what I fear most are: Garbage trucks and cabs.
Old 11-11-14, 10:59 PM
Acquaspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What does this have to do with road cycling?
It is believed that the bike rider was wearing tighty whities under his biking pants...
Old 11-11-14, 11:21 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Welcome to A&S.
Old 11-11-14, 11:29 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
But, did he wave?
Old 11-12-14, 06:38 AM
BarryJo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I somehow doubt this post would've been moved to a forum where no one will ever see it again had the cyclist been the one hit and injured by a reckless driver. He'd be more of a rock star than he already believes himself to be.
C'est la vie.
Old 11-12-14, 07:27 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
The elderly lady has a civil case. The cabbie an assault charge. The cyclist will continue to race and make videos. Another day in the city of brotherly love.
+ 1 Except...Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love, and this happened in Boston.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 11-12-14, 02:46 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
That's Philly, not Boston.
Old 11-12-14, 03:27 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Cyclist is treated like drivers and we're outraged...?

Oh, wait, that was before it hit A&S.
Old 11-12-14, 03:32 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cyclist seems pretty reckless based on his "urban race" videos. But nevertheless, he did the right thing by stopping when he hit someone and trying to get help. And fortunately it sounds like the pedestrian wasn't seriously hurt. The cabbie was the one who acted criminally and deserves his punishment. I hope that the cyclist takes a lesson, not from the beating, but from the fact that he's putting pedestrians at risk. If he had really injured or killed someone then I think his own videos would be enough to throw the book at him.
Old 11-12-14, 05:06 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep tickets for the cyclist desvres a ticket. Hopefully the cabbie gets some time in jail.
Old 11-12-14, 05:27 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
+ 1 Except...Philadelphia is the City of Brotherly Love, and this happened in Boston.
I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 11-12-14, 07:12 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems to me that the cabbie's outrage indicates that there is much more to the story.
Old 11-13-14, 05:36 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lucas Brunelle was clearly in the wrong. He ran a red and hit someone. At least give the guy credit for stopping and trying to make the situation right instead of fleeing the scene.

The cab driver was in the wrong too. You don't assault someone and hit them while they're on the ground just because they shout some expletives at you.

Brunelle deserves a hefty lawsuit to pay for the woman's medical bills. The cab driver deserves a conviction.
Old 11-13-14, 04:58 PM
BarryJo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are a lot of cyclists around the area who wish they had the chance to do poor Lucas exactly what the cab driver did. Even more after the story came out.

Now most people might think an accident like what happened on Monday might have given poor Lucas a healthy dose of common sense with his riding style, but I can assure you it didn't. Here's a video he posted yesterday where he's again riding like an idiot down Alewife/ Fresh Pond in Cambridge, which is one of the most hazardous stretches of road any time of day, add in morning rush hour and rain and you wish the guy driving the van would've gotten out and did to poor Lucas what the cab driver did to him on Monday.

And afterwards he brags about his landing ability. Go figure.
edit - It was an unfortunate accident but anyone riding a bike down that stretch of road really needs to expect the unexpected.

Last edited by BarryJo; 11-13-14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 11:42 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
Lucas Brunelle was clearly in the wrong. He ran a red and hit someone. At least give the guy credit for stopping and trying to make the situation right instead of fleeing the scene.

The cab driver was in the wrong too. You don't assault someone and hit them while they're on the ground just because they shout some expletives at you.

Brunelle deserves a hefty lawsuit to pay for the woman's medical bills. The cab driver deserves a conviction.
I doubt the cab driver will suffer much in the long run, even though he was a tad wicked.
Old 11-17-14, 06:55 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now most people might think an accident like what happened on Monday might have given poor Lucas a healthy dose of common sense with his riding style, but I can assure you it didn't. Here's a video he posted yesterday where he's again riding like an idiot down Alewife/ Fresh Pond in Cambridge, which is one of the most hazardous stretches of road any time of day, add in morning rush hour and rain and you wish the guy driving the van would've gotten out and did to poor Lucas what the cab driver did to him on Monday.

I'm not sure what the typical cyclist does on this road, as opposed to Brunelle, because I'm not familiar with the area or the laws in that state.

If that road were in my city, I would have been riding on the shoulder, and passing cars, (maybe not at the speed he's going), and that van right hooked him. And Lucas was nice about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.