Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 06-12-15, 12:23 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
just went to LBS to see if they could do some magic to get 600 stem onto the bars i have, no dice.

so much for full 600. gonna have to rock the crappo kalloy stem. maybe ill get some polishing dealios for the dremel and polish a turd

now, what to do with a NOS 600 stem in perfect condition...maybe i should start selling some of these bike parts ive been hoarding. theres 2 boxes now.
Old 06-12-15, 12:27 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumonkan
just went to LBS to see if they could do some magic to get 600 stem onto the bars i have, no dice.

so much for full 600. gonna have to rock the crappo kalloy stem. maybe ill get some polishing dealios for the dremel and polish a turd

now, what to do with a NOS 600 stem in perfect condition...maybe i should start selling some of these bike parts ive been hoarding. theres 2 boxes now.
Old 06-12-15, 12:59 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Which bars are the problem?
Old 06-12-15, 01:04 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Dajia Cycleworks Shallow Drop Handlebar - Handlebars - Components

perfect bar, but the last bend on the tops is too tight (twss) to get the stem around. the way it needs to turn to access the "skinny" part on the bottom of the stem clamp causes the quill to hit the bottom section of the drop. maybe if i sawed off 1/2" and took the bolt out it could turn around but im not really in the mood to go butchering this thing for experimentation.

i have a stem that i can force around it, it just isnt as pretty. first world problems is all

related: campy levers are really ****ing annoying to access the bolt for the band clamp. im never taking these off or moving them again.
Old 06-12-15, 01:07 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hmm.. So maybe try a different set of bars then?

Dajia Cycleworks Shallow Drop Handlebar - Handlebars - Components

perfect bar, but the last bend on the tops is too tight (twss) to get the stem around. the way it needs to turn to access the "skinny" part on the bottom of the stem clamp causes the quill to hit the bottom section of the drop. maybe if i sawed off 1/2" and took the bolt out it could turn around but im not really in the mood to go butchering this thing for experimentation.

i have a stem that i can force around it, it just isnt as pretty. first world problems is all

related: campy levers are really ****ing annoying to access the bolt for the band clamp. im never taking these off or moving them again.
Old 06-12-15, 03:40 PM
TheRealFaux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
What did you get?
Van Dessel Hellafaster, 1st gen from 2008 I think.
Old 06-12-15, 04:03 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
Hmm.. So maybe try a different set of bars then?
nah im not gonna throw more money at it, my original plan didnt work but i have the parts to get as close to it as i can. i like the bars too, the stem was really just an aesthetic thing. not really a big deal just a letdown
Old 06-12-15, 08:56 PM
carmavore

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, All-City Macho Man, State Bicycle Black Label

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I built my first wheel! WOOOP Pretty happy

Building rear on Monday

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5676.jpg (84.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-13-15, 06:23 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts

I just now went through very similar situation. My aging back no longer plays well with the classic drops on my road bike so I am switching to a short reach, shallow drop bar with very tight curves. Thank god my stem, which I definitely did not want to change, while it has a wide clamp - its not cast, so I was able to pry it pretty wide open and managed to force the new bar through. But I did scratch the hell out of it...
Old 06-13-15, 12:52 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lol
Old 06-14-15, 07:52 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

today im almost 30. gonna go ride in the woods.
Old 06-14-15, 08:10 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
today im almost 30. gonna go ride in the woods.
Only a year younger than my oldest...And, I will be out riding an amazing section of rail trail with super cool tunnels. I sure hope the new headlight works well.
Old 06-14-15, 11:22 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
Hunting for a cell phone pouch to throw on my chrome bag. Anyone have recommendations for one that will fit an s5. Something durable.
I am still there, only with a Note 3. Chrome is working on making a bigger pouch for those of us not using tiny phones. The Chicago hub had a few custom made ones but they were not in all black. The guy said they will be available online soon. In the mean time, I have this one: Clip Case Sideways on a suggestion from another member here. It works, but I don't like it. I have the large to fit this effin huge phone in, and when I close it, the volume up and down buttons get pushed somehow and it pisses me off. As for rugged, ehhhh. As for waterproof, no. C'mon Chrome, get it going!!
Old 06-14-15, 11:30 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I am still there, only with a Note 3. Chrome is working on making a bigger pouch for those of us not using tiny phones. The Chicago hub had a few custom made ones but they were not in all black. The guy said they will be available online soon. In the mean time, I have this one: Clip Case Sideways on a suggestion from another member here. It works, but I don't like it. I have the large to fit this effin huge phone in, and when I close it, the volume up and down buttons get pushed somehow and it pisses me off. As for rugged, ehhhh. As for waterproof, no. C'mon Chrome, get it going!!
I'm looking at that case as well. I can tolerate something that isn't waterproof, but I agree, chrome needs to make a pouch for something other than iphones.
My main concern, that of any fakenger, is that I can fit my phone and my boombotix on my bag.
I hate having phone in pocket, and it's annoying to dig through my bag when I need to gps something.
Old 06-14-15, 11:30 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at that case as well. I can tolerate something that isn't waterproof, but I agree, chrome needs to make a pouch for something other than iphones.
My main concern, that of any fakenger, is that I can fit my phone and my boombotix on my bag.
I hate having phone in pocket, and it's annoying to dig through my bag when I need to gps something.
Old 06-14-15, 12:14 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Lol
Lol
Old 06-14-15, 12:32 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
That is my same set up. Boombotix Rex and my Note 3 on a Chrome bag. That case sits pretty high up and since it is so big, my face hits it when I am checking over my shoulder. I miss having my smaller Moto X and Chrome pouch that fit perfectly.
Old 06-14-15, 05:22 PM
TenSpeedV2

Super super late to the game, but I finally loaded a custom ROM on my phone. Had a Note 3, regrettably took the Lollipop update OTA and have suffered since then. Had enough, so I researched. Once you take that, you are done. No rolling back to Kit Kat. That avenue is just shut down, permanently. Alright, screw it, hate Lollipop enough, get another Note 3 on Swappa, this time, rooted, running a custom ROM on 4.2.2 and very stable. I got it the other day, and the ROM is alright. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it prevented any type of forced update to this piece of garbage Lollipop that Verizon OK'd.

I have effed with phones most of my life, from the old Motorola RAZR to jailbreaking iPhones back in the day. Was always hesitant to mess with ROM's on Android. With the help of a friend and a really detailed YouTube video, I got it up and running. This is a majorly debloated version of Kit Kat with all the garbage removed. No Verizon or Amazon apps along with limited Google stuff. Runs pretty well so far. Stock appearing but customized ever so slightly. Pretty damn happy about it honestly, happy that I didn't brick it, and happy that I don't have to worry about the nagging auto update and forced garbage from Verizon.
Old 06-14-15, 05:27 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

iirc droid is the the most ****-with-able and i havent heard of any tales of bricked phones. my cousin is a diehard droid user and mods his phones out the wazoo soon as he brings it home from the store

today i did 30 miles of dirt. i love mountain biking. i love getting rad offroad. i love being stoked about rides with 10mph avg speed. i love lamp.
Old 06-14-15, 05:55 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today I rode a fixed century on the Silver Comet in Atlanta. Love that trail.
Old 06-14-15, 08:09 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i
today i did 30 miles of dirt. i love mountain biking. i love getting rad offroad. i love being stoked about rides with 10mph avg speed. i love lamp.
its why i stopped road biking.

fun per mile is way better.
Old 06-14-15, 08:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Today I finished my first 600k brevet. Not fixed, though...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-14-15, 09:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
i think a road/cross bike would ride and feel like garbage with a suspension fork. but ill never know cuz im not about to buy one
Probably only has 40mm of travel, I don't think it would be too bad as long as it's damped well.
Old 06-14-15, 09:41 PM
Hothead286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super super late to the game, but I finally loaded a custom ROM on my phone. Had a Note 3, regrettably took the Lollipop update OTA and have suffered since then. Had enough, so I researched. Once you take that, you are done. No rolling back to Kit Kat. That avenue is just shut down, permanently. Alright, screw it, hate Lollipop enough, get another Note 3 on Swappa, this time, rooted, running a custom ROM on 4.2.2 and very stable. I got it the other day, and the ROM is alright. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it prevented any type of forced update to this piece of garbage Lollipop that Verizon OK'd.

I have effed with phones most of my life, from the old Motorola RAZR to jailbreaking iPhones back in the day. Was always hesitant to mess with ROM's on Android. With the help of a friend and a really detailed YouTube video, I got it up and running. This is a majorly debloated version of Kit Kat with all the garbage removed. No Verizon or Amazon apps along with limited Google stuff. Runs pretty well so far. Stock appearing but customized ever so slightly. Pretty damn happy about it honestly, happy that I didn't brick it, and happy that I don't have to worry about the nagging auto update and forced garbage from Verizon.
I used to do this a few years ago with my OG Droid, I miss that phone. What ROM are you using?

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
its why i stopped road biking.

fun per mile is way better.
I like mountain biking a lot, but I think I'm really bad at it. Any moderate drop or steep switchback I wig out.
Old 06-14-15, 09:59 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hothead286
I like mountain biking a lot, but I think I'm really bad at it. Any moderate drop or steep switchback I wig out.
I'm so incredibly bad at mountain biking...I like to think that I'm fairly decent riding road bikes and fixed gears so I get this false confidence on the mountain bike...then I hit a slight incline, mess up my gearing and end up having to walk up the hill in shame. I walk up a lot of hills in shame. And the hills I do make it, I do so slowly that I could have just walked them anyway. Then after the first 5 miles my legs hurt, my heart rate becomes pegged at 180+bpm, and I just want to die and guzzle water the whole time. But damn is it ever fun.

On a side note, my partner N+1'd today - it needs a little help, but overall not a bad bike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.