Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Internal Cable Housing Question

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-30-17, 02:02 PM
Gege-Bubu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am trying to put together a "new" bicycle, and here is my first (maybe not the last) problem

I am running internal rear brake cable through internal plastic sleeve inside the frame. The part of the plastic sleeve is exposed on the bottom. It runs half way between the cups.
As I understand it should be a cable housing installed between the end cups to cover the cable.
I cannot figure out how to install the cable housing so it will cover the exposed part of the plastic sleeve

See the picture:
2B1A0539 by Genna B, on Flickr

The cable is loose now. It will be close to the frame when housing is installed

Thanks
Old 01-30-17, 02:10 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The sleeve is meant to be used as a guide. Now that your cable is guided with the sleeve, rip out the sleeve, and insert the cable outer, cut to length
Old 01-30-17, 02:12 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redfooj
The sleeve is meant to be used as a guide. Now that your cable is guided with the sleeve, rip out the sleeve, and insert the cable outer, cut to length
Thanks, I was thnking about it, but in this case half of the cable will not be covered by plastic channel.
It I insert half of it, I am afrait it might create a clog where two plastic sleeves meet.
Old 01-30-17, 02:18 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
That clear tubing is only needed to run the bare cable through the frame. (There's no internal channel to route it.) "Housing" is what the cable wire runs through, made of metal with a plastic coating.

I'm assuming the clear tubing was sticking out both the front and rear openings in the frame.

So:
Once your cable housing from the brake levers to the frame is cut to the correct length,
Push the cable wire through the tubing (already done, as your photo shows).
Pull the clear tubing right off the end of the cable.
Keep the tubing! (or the local bike store will have some.)

Now install the cable housing from the frame to the back brake. These brakes are down at the bottom bracket. Is there a pre-cut piece of housing sized for this distance from frame to brake, or do you have to cut it to length?

Later:
To change cables or pull the cable to change the front cable housing length:
Remove the crimp from the end of the cable wire.
Push the tubing onto the cable wire, then back through the frame, and out the front access port in the frame. You want at least a couple of inches of tubing exposed at both ends of the frame.
Hold the tubing in place and pull the wire out. Now you have a guide to push the wire cable back through.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-30-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 02:33 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I understand what you mean, but I have tried to pull out the plastic tube out of the housing and it does not com out!
How do you do it?
Old 01-30-17, 02:58 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yank it hard

Or actually it doesn't need to be removed. U could trim it so it doesn't clear the cable exit (so-called "cups")
Old 01-30-17, 03:09 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redfooj
Yank it hard

Or actually it doesn't need to be removed. U could trim it so it doesn't clear the cable exit (so-called "cups")
yanking did not work, I cut off the black plastic cover and metal compression wire. I grabbed exposed inner plastic with wise grips, but it ripped off the exposed plastic part. The rest of the inner cable did not move

So, do you mean to cut off the plastic cover that is there all the way to the cup?
This way the cable will be completely covered with housing, correct?

But in this case, if I need to replace inner plastic tubes/sleeves in future I will have no end to grab..
Old 01-30-17, 04:14 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Gege-Bubu
But in this case, if I need to replace inner plastic tubes/sleeves in future I will have no end to grab..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_H...utu.be&t=1m52s
Old 01-30-17, 04:30 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
yanking did not work, I cut off the black plastic cover and metal compression wire. I grabbed exposed inner plastic with wise grips, but it ripped off the exposed plastic part. The rest of the inner cable did not move

So, do you mean to cut off the plastic cover that is there all the way to the cup?
This way the cable will be completely covered with housing, correct?

Hmmm. The clear tubing should just slide right off.

I don't understand what you are doing with the "black plastic cover and metal compression wire". It doesn't sound right. Post more photos, or perhaps take it to a shop.
Old 01-30-17, 04:36 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Look, something is wrong with your guide sleeves. Take the bike to a shop for advice.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-30-17, 04:37 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok, it is easy to do,
but I still could not figure out how to pull out the plastic tube out of the brake housing
I was able to pull it out of the shifting cable, but not the brake cable.

and I probably need just the brake housing without the plastic sleeve inside, but it will not cone out!
Old 01-30-17, 04:37 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

By the way the things you are calling cups are correctly called ferrules.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-30-17, 04:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

ok, it is easy to do,
but I still could not figure out how to pull out the plastic tube out of the brake housing

and I probably need just the brake housing without the plastic sleeve inside, but it will not cone out!
No, you don't pull out any plastic sleeve that is inside the outer cable (housing) either brake or shifter. That is supposed to be permanent for lubrication. The sleeve we are talking about is what was in the frame when you got it to guide the inner cable wires. There is some confusion here and several semantic issues. Please get in-person help at a shop.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-30-17, 04:59 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
ok, it is easy to do,

You should be able to use a pair of pliers to pull the cable stop (cup) out of the frame. You may need to do this on both ends. I wonder if the clear plastic sleeve is jammed into one or both of the cable stops as you shouldn't really be able to fit the plastic sleeve through them. This should allow you to pull out the clear plastic sleeve.

Once you have the plastic sleeve out reinsert the cable stops, cut a length of brake cable outer housing and insert this between the cable stops in the frame and brake. (Quick tip: Use proper cable cutters and insert spare brake cable into the outer housing when cutting to prevent crushing the housing). The outer housing will prevent the brake cable pulling straight between the two cable stops.

This picture might help. It looks like there is a quick release in the outer housing. I presume this is because the brake itself does not have a quick release. Placing a quick release in the outer housing allows the brake pads to be spread wider for easier replacement of the rear wheel.

I won't directly link the picture as it is very big:

https://raced.io/images/aero-chinese...mounted_bb.jpg
Old 01-30-17, 05:00 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No, you don't pull out any plastic sleeve that is inside the outer cable (housing) either brake or shifter. That is supposed to be permanent for lubrication. The sleeve we are talking about is what was in the frame when you got it to guide the inner cable wires. There is some confusion here and several semantic issues. Please get in-person help at a shop.
Sorry for confusion
I do not know the names of all the parts I am using

The inner plastic guide running inside the frame, and there is no problem with it
Then, there is a short piece of cable that runs outside of the frame. My problem to cover it the open part with housing
The problem is that the part of the cable is already covered by plastic guide/sleeve as you can see on the picture.

I was trying to install the housing over the cable without cutting the guide sleeve. That is why I wanted to remove plastic guide/sleeve out of the housing and slide up the housing over already existing guide, if it makes sense.

If not, I just probably cut off the plastic guide/sleeve that you see on the picture and install new brake housing over the bare cable.
Since I had no success to remove plastic guide/sleeve out of the housing, my questions are:
Is it possible to do it?
and if not
Should I cut off the plastic sleeve that is on the picture?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-17, 05:04 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smarkinson
You should be able to use a pair of pliers to pull the cable stop (cup) out of the frame. You may need to do this on both ends. I wonder if the clear plastic sleeve is jammed into one or both of the cable stops as you shouldn't really be able to fit the plastic sleeve through them. This should allow you to pull out the clear plastic sleeve.

Once you have the plastic sleeve out reinsert the cable stops, cut a length of brake cable outer housing and insert this between the cable stops in the frame and brake. (Quick tip: Use proper cable cutters and insert spare brake cable into the outer housing when cutting to prevent crushing the housing). The outer housing will prevent the brake cable pulling straight between the two cable stops.

This picture might help. It looks like there is a quick release in the outer housing. I presume this is because the brake itself does not have a quick release. Placing a quick release in the outer housing allows the brake pads to be spread wider for easier replacement of the rear wheel.

I won't directly link the picture as it is very big:

https://raced.io/images/aero-chinese...mounted_bb.jpg
The picture is good, it is what my bike cable should look like after installation
Old 01-30-17, 05:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Sorry for confusion
I do not know the names of all the parts I am using

The inner plastic guide running inside the frame, and there is no problem with it
Then, there is a short piece of cable that runs outside of the frame. My problem to cover it the open part with housing
The problem is that the part of the cable is already covered by plastic guide/sleeve as you can see on the picture.

I was trying to install the housing over the cable without cutting the guide sleeve. That is why I wanted to remove plastic guide/sleeve out of the housing and slide up the housing over already existing guide, if it makes sense.

If not, I just probably cut off the plastic guide/sleeve that you see on the picture and install new brake housing over the bare cable.
Since I had no success to remove plastic guide/sleeve out of the housing, my questions are:
Is it possible to do it?
and if not
Should I cut off the plastic sleeve that is on the picture?

Thanks!
All guide sleeve inside and outside the frame should be removed when the wire has been fully run through the frame.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-30-17, 05:17 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
All guide sleeve inside and outside the frame should be removed when the wire has been fully run through the frame.
I did not know that!!!!
I thought the guides/sleeves will stay to cover cables inside the frame
Old 01-30-17, 05:23 PM
rpenmanparker 

I did not know that!!!!
I thought the guides/sleeves will stay to cover cables inside the frame
You can buy replacement guide sleeve from Jagwire to replace cable wires in future.

Originally Posted by LAJ