Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ratio of Parafin Wax to Parafin Oil?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ratio of Parafin Wax to Parafin Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 10:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've been reusing the KMC Missing Links several times -- probably more often than KMC recommends. So far, so good.

I carry a spare new Missing Link just in case something gets lost during a ride. My front derailleur is really picky about adjustments and shifts and I drop the chain more often than I'd care to admit. So I'm always worried part of the Missing Link really will go missing. Hasn't happened yet, but I carry a spare just in case.
Old 03-30-18, 12:47 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Candles can be made of a variety of waxy substances, paraffin being only one of them. Paraffin is a high
carbon (C20++ or so) alkane from petroleum sources. Vegetable waxes and beeswax may also be in
candles. Lubricity can vary.
Old 03-30-18, 01:05 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I am not all that hot on compounds based on fluorides.
In that case I expect you never brush your teeth. Just about every brand of toothpaste has a fluoride in it.
Old 03-30-18, 01:21 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I saw some toothpaste labeled as Contains No Fluoride, and I thought I might be seeing it wrong. It was right. There are some people that are looking to get toothpaste w/o Fluoride.

Now we are off topic.

I am glad that I came across this thread because I waxed my chain decades ago and it worked great, however, I didn't keep up with it because I needed to push the rivet out each time I re-waxed my chain.

Now with the missing link type of master links for derailleurs and small crock pots. I am going to have to try this again. I also like the idea of keeping two chains so that you take one chain off, put it into the wax bath and put the other one on.
Old 03-30-18, 02:03 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
For those of you interested in comparing performance of various lubes, I found this link to be pretty interesting. Their tests take contamination into account and they test for both efficiency and chain wear. It’s not clear how much cross-chaining they do though, in case that’s an issue.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

Surprisingly, Squirt fares pretty poorly. On the other hand, if you’ve ever put some on the chain and watched it just sit there for hours without really penetrating the links very much, maybe it isn’t that surprising after all. Paraffin seems to be the gold standard for both efficiency and chain wear, as long as you reapply frequently enough.
Old 03-30-18, 02:23 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
For those of you interested in comparing performance of various lubes, I found this link to be pretty interesting. Their tests take contamination into account and they test for both efficiency and chain wear. It’s not clear how much cross-chaining they do though, in case that’s an issue.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

Paraffin seems to be the gold standard for both efficiency and chain wear, as long as you reapply frequently enough.
My favorite bit is down about 20 pages into the detailed test on the Molten Speed Wax, where it takes ~600km of running in for the wax to get "down" to the level of lubrication of fresh wet lube. Below 300km, nothing even comes close.

And I don't even care about the wattage-- it's just really nice to have a clean drivetrain, that never needs to be degreased. I clean the chain once, when it comes out of the factory packaging. The Shimano 11-speed chain on my Cervelo just hit 3,600 miles, and is barely at 0.25% wear. I got 4,500 out of the 11-speed chain on my 1X, and only changed it because I went to a new cassette-- the chain still had life in it. Note: I buy cheap chains. $30 or less for 11-speed. I'm looking forward to seeing how long the new X1 chain lasts, having a miniscule 785 miles on it so far.
Old 04-01-18, 08:09 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I believe it's Phil Wood Tenacious oil that wins in the wear dept... although loses in efficiency. With Chain-L close on it's heals.
It's a trade-off
Old 10-01-18, 05:21 PM
jkretsch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Finish line no good.

Squirt works WAY better.

But of course molten paraffin is what you want. When I bought it off Amazon, a subset of the reviewers were buying it to recreate some sort of BD/S&M scene. I'm with you on that.

(Another user tip: Do not google the single word "Squirt!")
I've tried wax, Finish Line Teflon Dry lube, and Squirt. I didn't like Squirt because it left a waxy build-up all over the drivetrain, jockey wheels, chainrings, cassette that was difficult to remove. I didn't like paraffin wax because it didn't seem to last very long and it was relatively noisy. So I settled on Finish Line Dry lube. It's not the cleanest but it's not bad and it's definitely easier to clean off than Squirt. It also lasts a really long time and you don't need to remove the chain to apply it. All that being said, I'm actually thinking about giving paraffin wax another try but this time I might try mixing in some paraffin oil to increase the durability.
Old 10-01-18, 07:44 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I came to the same conclusion with Squirt. I've switched now to just using molten paraffin, and two chains with quick-links.

It turns out Squirt is a mixture of water and "slack wax", which is a precursor in the synthesis of paraffin (it has additional oils in it, which is what I think gives the gooey snot-like build-up).
Old 10-02-18, 05:01 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
An easier approach is to only melt just enough wax in a small pot to swirl the chain around in and then discard the contaminated leftover, rather than melting a big 1 lbs block every time.
Old 10-02-18, 07:18 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Using my trusty Little Dipper, I only use about 3oz of wax, which I top off as needed. Every other waxing (so perhaps twice a month) I pop the "puck" of wax out of the pot, and shave the contaminant-filled bottom off of it, which is nothing but metal and dirt. Easy and clean. Fire the pot back up, and it's nice clean wax again. I got well over a year out of a pound of wax, then bought a 10lb brick on sale at the crafts store-- so I've got wax for a good while.

I've been constantly tinkering with additives in the wax-- paraffin oil, teflon powder, molybdenum, etc-- and nothing really seems to alter the longevity or performance. The paraffin oil makes the wax less flaxy, but doesn't seem to actually last any longer. I've been trying to make my own "touch up" wax using the melted paraffin, paraffin oil, and white gas, but getting the mixture correct has proven difficult. I think I'm still going too heavy on the wax, because it stays fairly chunky even when well mixed. Easy to mess around with, I have a giant block of wax, and a gallon each of oil and white gas.
Old 10-02-18, 07:32 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Don't start a fire.
Old 10-02-18, 07:37 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Hey, don't think I didn't look it up before I started putting things that burn in a thing that gets hot.

Paraffin flashes at 390ºF and boils at 698ºF-- the paraffin oil flashes at a lower 329ºF. Crockpot only gets to 230ºF.

I had thought about buying a temperature-adjustable crockpot, as you only need to get the wax to ~130º for it to be workable, but the hotter Little Dipper is above 212ºF, so it will get any and all water out of the chain.
Old 10-02-18, 07:59 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
They aren't. The compound commonly called TEFLON is banned in the US (PTFE?)
No, it's not. Don't say idiotic stuff about things you don't know anything about and that you haven't researched.

PTFE is polytetrafluorotethylene. Teflon(R) is Dupont's (now Chemours) registered trademark for PTFE. PTFE has superb low friction, chemical resistance, and electrical properties. Because of these properties, PTFE is present in just about every mechanical or electrical device of any complexity that is now on the market. It is the key component, to use a bike-relevant example, of GoreTex(R) and other waterproof and vapor-permeable fabrics.

Why would you say something that's just plain not true? Without knowing? I mean, for goodness sake, it takes 15 seconds to google this.

There is a move to ban PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) which is a kind of soap that is chemically similar (but with molecules that are thousands of times smaller) than PTFE. PFOA has historically been used to manufacture PTFE.
Old 10-02-18, 05:49 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I waxed my chain for a summer and gave it up after being out in the rain. It simply did not hold up in that condition. Now I use standard lubricants and put up with the mess. Lately been experimenting with ATF and bar chain oil. Very messy, super slick when first applied and shifting was unbelievably superb, the best I have ever experienced. Once dirty, however, it shifted just like a dirty chain. Only took two days to get to that point. Back to the drawing board.
Old 10-02-18, 06:56 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Speedwax 1 pound and 1/4 pound of gulf wax. It’s great. If you follow the websites directions you will have great successes. I have a super clean drivechain and it’s actually quite at first. After 300 miles it gets noisy but can go 350 easy. Easy to rewax once set up. Best thing I did was going to wax.

Get a crockpot.....it’s much better than the pan method and safer too. It’s a win win set up. Wax is where it’s at!
Old 10-02-18, 08:19 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Squirt lube. Done.
Old 10-05-18, 06:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Paraffin flashes at 390ºF and boils at 698ºF-- the paraffin oil flashes at a lower 329ºF. Crockpot only gets to 230ºF. .
White gas is a bit more like ether in that respect.
Old 10-05-18, 06:51 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I waxed my chain for a summer and gave it up after being out in the rain. It simply did not hold up in that condition.
I wax for 6 months in the summer and then switch to oil for the winter.
Old 10-05-18, 06:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah, but white gas doesn't go anywhere near the crockpot. No need.

Even at that, white gas doesn't auto-flash until 419ºF. The white gas is only here because I can't get the real good stuff in California. Hell, we can't even get mineral spirits here.
Old 10-05-18, 06:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

That's weird. I bought mineral spirits in Santa Crud, and this is one of the most chemophobic places I've ever lived. I even have had people start screaming at me when I tell them I teach chemistry.

White gas is the best thing I have ever used to clean my drive-train.
Old 10-05-18, 06:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

VEry possible that it's a SCAQMD thing. They took away mineral spirits, (real) paint thinner, naphtha, toulene, xylene, and others I can't recall off hand. Lacquer thinner is the "eco-friendly" kind where you have to use twice as much, negating the eco-friendliness a little, I think.

We can buy a can of "Painter's Solvent" which isn't really very good for anything.