Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I just cancelled Amazon Prime after 6 years. Tough decision.

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

I just cancelled Amazon Prime after 6 years. Tough decision.

Old 01-04-19, 04:17 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yup, I'm eligible for some discounts for age, veteran status and income (since I was unemployed most of 2018, between injuries and illness).

But Amazon doesn't offer a discounted Prime service for any niche I'm in.

And the annual fee isn't that bad. It's just not a good value for me right now. Maybe later.
I'm a Prime customer of quite a few years. Maybe 7 or 8, I don't recall exactly.

I too will cancel when it is time for renewal. They just missed a two day delivery for me, and the new policy is no more 1 month Prime extensions for late delivery. I paid more for the same item, because it had free two day shipping.

Free next day delivery was rolled out with much fanfare, but has disappeared for me. Unless I want to buy a spy machine like Alexa, they will get that garbage to me on the same day. But apparently, after paying for Prime, I'm supposed to tip the same day driver. I guess Jeff Bezos, richest man on earth, can't afford to pay his help a living wage.

Add the fake reviews (both good and bad), the counterfeit products, and Amazon is now no better than e-bay. Plus Amazon treats employees like crap.

Speaking of e-bay, items usually arrive for me in 3 days via USPS First Class. And I don't have to pay $120 per year for it.

Amazon Prime video was occasionally useful, but I suspect I will not miss it much.

Oh, and just TRY to cancel Prime. Prime is auto-renew, and no way to opt out of auto renew. The only way is to cancel your current subscription. I suspect that after I cancel the current subscription, I'd actually get to use it until the expiration date. But their dark pattern user interface scare tactics work, and I won't actually cancel until I am a few days from renewal.
Old 01-04-19, 05:06 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 7337 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 600 Posts
You will really enjoy their facial recognition programs..
Old 01-04-19, 05:29 PM
DaveSSS

Bikes: TWO Colnago C-RS w/Chorus 12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 120 Posts
I get my money's worth from Amazon Prime. I stream quite a few shows every year and never have problems with the 2-day shipping. Buying from sellers that are not part of the prime service does take longer, but if I really need something in a hurry, I make sure it's got prime shipping. The cost is so trivial that it's not even worth thinking about.
Old 01-04-19, 06:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3613 Post(s)
Liked 1,140 Times in 757 Posts
Yep, usually I bought directly from Amazon whenever possible. It still didn't help with timely shipping. Judging from the updates I got from Amazon about when an order was received and shipped, the problem often is the carrier or courier. But that's assuming the warehouse actually ships when they claim.

I know back around 2012 the main problem was the post office. There are thousands of similar complaints nationwide. USPS was struggling to cope with the challenges of meeting the Congressional mandate to pre-fund the USPS retirement program (a multi-billion dollar mandate designed to cripple the post office in favor of cronies of some US representatives and senators). But the post office locally has been fine the past 2-3 years.

FedEx has been consistently unreliable in my area. If any retailer uses the hybrid shipping options (USPS/FedEx, USPS/UPS, etc.), invariably FedEx will be the weak link. Whether I lived in a rural town or the city, FedEx seems to think their job is done if the package is roughly within a mile of the designated recipient. Their motto seems to be "You redeliver for us" and "Close is close enough! Good enough for hand grenades and FedEx!"

And, as other folks have noted, apparently Amazon doesn't pay well enough to retain good couriers for same-day delivery. I never tipped. Never occurred to me that would be necessary. I always tip wait staff at restaurants, beeristas at my favorite pub (even when they're also personal friends), any place where I know the employer isn't required by law to pay full minimum wage unless compensation is in the form of commissions. But tipping a delivery agent? Never occurred to me.

Another issue is the decline in customer support, whether by text chat or phone. It used to be prompt and efficient (which I've described at tiresome length in my original post about my mom's experiences). But over the past few months it's become inefficient, slower and they don't follow through on promises of compensation. They're still very courteous. But I get the impression Amazon has pressured their contracted customer support agents to slow-walk and deflect customers, especially if we ask for compensation for persistent slow deliveries or inaccurate deliveries (I've received the wrong items a few times).

I doubt anyone at Amazon reads feedback from customers. They certainly don't seem to respond to their own vendors -- Amazon's system is notorious for gaming to cripple some vendors, with Amazon's auto-response default being to disable a vendor's account and force them to prove they aren't guilty.

So I figure the only recourse is to discontinue Prime service and see if they respond to lost revenue. It's the most direct way I can think of to offer feedback.
Old 01-04-19, 06:32 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
You will really enjoy their facial recognition programs..
I don't go to sporting events, airports, or US Customs, so maybe not.
Old 01-04-19, 07:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 236 Posts
I have to admit that using Amazon ship to a locker beats all having to sneak bike stuff into the house, when UPS makes a delivery at 7 PM. “Are we expecting a delivery” says the wife, is no longer an issue. Prime means I get new toy satisfaction in 2 days. How can you beat that ?
Old 01-04-19, 10:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 810 Posts
I also have the added bonus of being within a stone's throw of no less than six Amazon fulfillment warehouses. On many items, next day and even same day are delivery options for me. I've placed an order at 10am and had it in my hands before 5pm-- at no additional shipping charge.
Old 01-04-19, 11:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
I get my money's worth from Amazon Prime. I stream quite a few shows every year and never have problems with the 2-day shipping. Buying from sellers that are not part of the prime service does take longer, but if I really need something in a hurry, I make sure it's got prime shipping. The cost is so trivial that it's not even worth thinking about.
Absolutely. If you shop often enough there are clear advantages to Amazon Prime.
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
I don't go to sporting events, airports, or US Customs, so maybe not.
You can run, but you cannot hide.
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I have to admit that using Amazon ship to a locker beats all having to sneak bike stuff into the house, when UPS makes a delivery at 7 PM. “Are we expecting a delivery” says the wife, is no longer an issue. Prime means I get new toy satisfaction in 2 days. How can you beat that ?
Diabolically sneaky.
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I also have the added bonus of being within a stone's throw of no less than six Amazon fulfillment warehouses. On many items, next day and even same day are delivery options for me. I've placed an order at 10am and had it in my hands before 5pm-- at no additional shipping charge.
Yep, although it doesn't apply to every item, they still own the fastest delivery on record.
Old 01-05-19, 04:39 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse (winter bike)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
What pushed us over the edge to go with Amazon Prime is when they bought Whole Foods. With the Amazon Prime Credit Card, you get a 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases, including Whole Foods. We don't shop there every week but enough to make it worthwhile getting prime after factoring in the free delivery of Amazon purchases and the periodic free Amazon Prime streaming videos.
Old 01-07-19, 02:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 432 Posts
But I was wasting time trying to fill the cart with the $35 minimum needed for same day deliveries. ...
That's funny, that's how I use Amazon now, without prime; caching up stuff until I meet the $25 or $35 minimum needed for free slow delivery.

I don't have prime myself. Had it for a free trial that came with a kindle purchase, wife & I binged all but 1 season of the Wire but then turned it off.

My son got student prime (or rather we bought him his first year of it, we'll see what happens next year), so our roku is logged into his prime acct and once in a while we'll ask him to order something quick for us. But not enough to make it worth paying for prime for ourselves.
Old 01-07-19, 02:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Basically it just amounts to "Mom got a lot from Amazon. I don't. After reviewing 2018, for the first time the subscription fee wasn't paying for itself."
You should put that into your "TL;DR" in the OP
Old 01-07-19, 02:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
I cancelled Prime when my free student trial (ah the joys of having a .edu email) expired. Prime Video was nice, we might have abused the free next-day shipping a few times.
I have an .edu email, but it's just an alumni forwarder. Any idea if anybody at amazon ever verifies student-ness (or faculty/staff-ness) of student prime subscribers?
Old 01-07-19, 02:13 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I have an .edu email, but it's just an alumni forwarder. Any idea if anybody at amazon ever verifies student-ness (or faculty/staff-ness) of student prime subscribers?
I doubt that happens, they did not do so for me. Enter the edu email, get the response, click on the link to verify. Done.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 01-07-19, 02:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

You should put that into your "TL;DR" in the OP

Good idea. Done.

In retrospect I think I was just venting, mostly due to frustrations over seeing mom's inevitable decline and death. And my own recent health problems. Amazon was just an expense I don't need right now.
Old 01-07-19, 02:32 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

We at Foo are glad to help you get things off your chest
Old 01-07-19, 06:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Oh, yeah? How about that 20 lb tabby who sleeps on my chest? I can barely breathe with that big tub of goo on me.
Old 01-07-19, 07:12 PM
BenzFanatic

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
There was a year or two where I had to send a picture of my class schedule, but I don't think they still do that.
Old 01-07-19, 07:14 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Well, I'm looking ahead to 10+ years of having a kid who is legitimately eligible for StudentPrime, so I guess I'll just keep bumming off those fringe benefits.
Old 01-07-19, 09:12 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
I doubt that happens, they did not do so for me. Enter the edu email, get the response, click on the link to verify. Done.
Well the verification code goes to the edu email, so its on the school to stay current.
Well, I'm looking ahead to 10+ years of having a kid who is legitimately eligible for StudentPrime, so I guess I'll just keep bumming off those fringe benefits.
Just have 3 kids send them all to medical school and you're hooked up for life. Merry Christmas.
Old 01-11-19, 09:04 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3631 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 39 Posts
Walmart.com has been upping their game lately. I can get free two-day shipping from them, without a membership fee. I ordered a pile of car parts from them late Christmas Eve/early Christmas morning, and they were at my house on the 27th, free. Likewise, enough other online shops offer some sort of free shipping (or cheap enough expedited) that I just don't need Amazon.

Amazon, on the contrary side, seemingly has been a victim of its own success. Two day shipping is cool, but that doesn't include the couple days it takes them to get it out of the shop my past few orders. Their prices really aren't, on the whole, any sort of outstanding bargain, I regularly find the same products elsewhere cheaper. My past couple Warehouse orders are nothing like described condition, and in one case badly enough described to ship back. I'd love to watch The Grand Tour, but its really the only show they make I'm interested in, and my wife already subscribes to Netflix and Hulu, we don't need a third streaming service.
Old 01-11-19, 09:56 AM
KraneXL

In defense of Amazon they still hold the lead due mostly to their "whole package" deals. Unlike Hulu an Netflix, their streaming is an added bonus not something you purchase directly.

Of course, they don't have nearly the selection of Hulu or Netflix -- which surpasses all the others by a wide margin, but it is a pretty well though out selection system and relatively simple to use.

I also like their "no question asked" instant return policy, without those nasty shipping/restocking fees I remember from now defunct catalog stores like the Sharper Image.

I agree their products are no longer the cheapest, but they're still competitively priced and you can choose from their selection of use and/or refurbished item as well. I also admire retailers that ask for feedback and offer incentives to keep you as a customer.

On other other hand, if you shop very infrequently you likely won't get your monies worth and it can end up costing you for conveniences and services you don't really use.
Old 01-11-19, 03:18 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 66 Posts
I cancelled mine after my first day of ordering a bunch of stuff.

Since I would have used it rarely it was pretty easy.
Old 01-11-19, 10:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Amazon returns are up there with Costco, really.

I bought a vacuum cleaner from the Amazon Warehouse last year. Put it together, and it was missing the gasket that goes between the suction tube and the dust cylinder. So it was just a loud thing. The part to fix it cost almost as much as I paid for the vacuum. Went on Amazon Chat and described that to them. They immediately refunded the money, and told me to "do as I pleased" with the vacuum. I made a gasket out of hobby foam and double-sided tape. It's not a fantastic vacuum (the dustbin is so small you can do one room and it needs to be emptied) but my sister is still using it to this day.

Ordered a pair of Jagwire brake cables for a bike build. Cables show up, and they're shifter. Refunded do questions asked, I still have the shift cables-- which will undoubtedly be used eventually.
Old 01-14-19, 04:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

AMZL (Amazon Logistics) delivers on about 363 days of the year, it seems. More often than not, a guy in a reflective vest driving an unmarked Honda Accord. Paid by the piece.
Old 01-15-19, 03:46 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
AMZL (Amazon Logistics) delivers on about 363 days of the year, it seems. More often than not, a guy in a reflective vest driving an unmarked Honda Accord. Paid by the piece.
I kept thinking, that can't be right. But sure enough it was deliver on Sunday. Also, some of the Amazon Prime original are knocking it out of the park. "Informer" is off to a good start.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.