Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help Picking Replacement Wheel (long)

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Need Help Picking Replacement Wheel (long)

Old 10-01-19, 07:51 AM
  #26  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,875
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 168 Posts
SF, going to have to disagree a bit with you. Most LBSes, IME, do not have skilled wheel builders. They rarely even have someone competent enough to fix an out of true wheel.

OP, at your weight, you should be fine on just about any rear wheel. You're not at the extreme end of weight. You should be able to purchase a Shimano or DT Swiss rear wheel for less than $200.
topflightpro is offline  
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-01-19, 08:18 AM
  #27  
Clipped_in
Rubber side down
 
Clipped_in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Teh Quickie Mart
Posts: 1,689

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
...Iíve put 11,637 miles on it in 14 months.
Clipped_in is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 08:33 AM
  #28  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 190

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
The six bolt-ness is optional; you'd just need a centrelock rotor.
That is extremely helpful, Kimmo! I had assumed that the disc to rotor aligment would be different. Also I wasn't sure about rotor thickness and braking surface width.

If so that is especially good, because I am about due for new rotors anyway. Plus, based on what I see for sale, most disc brake road wheels are center lock.

So any 160mm rotor center lock wheel and rotor (for example Shimano 160mm) is compatible with my current 160mm TRP Spyre cable calipers?
Tony_G is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 09:05 AM
  #29  
Razorrock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 75

Bikes: Scott Sportster Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I just went through the same process with my bike. Rear wheel cracks at the spokes. Looked all over the internet and just was not sure they would fit. I finally ordered a set through Hunt Wheels. I just sent them the year and model of my bike and they build to fit. Came with skewers and even adaptors to use my 6 bolt rotors on the center lock wheels. (I upgraded to center lock rotors anyways)
Razorrock is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 09:55 AM
  #30  
horatio 
Hump, what hump?
 
horatio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SC midlands
Posts: 1,866

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't know nearly enough about wheels to buy used.
I missed the part about needing disc rotors in your first post. Sorry!
__________________
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Designer '84 ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports
horatio is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 10:06 AM
  #31  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,218
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12044 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 1,895 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
SF, going to have to disagree a bit with you. Most LBSes, IME, do not have skilled wheel builders. They rarely even have someone competent enough to fix an out of true wheel.

OP, at your weight, you should be fine on just about any rear wheel. You're not at the extreme end of weight. You should be able to purchase a Shimano or DT Swiss rear wheel for less than $200.
I agree with you about a lot of shops don't have a great wheel builder. I hope his does. Even if it's a half decent one though I'd hope it would be better in the end than something from Amazon.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 10:31 AM
  #32  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 190

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I hope your LBS has a good wheel builder. It's not terribly hard to build a wheel and most shops will do it for you. Anyway, the good thing about this route is you can talk to a human being about how and where you ride your bike, what you're trying to get out of your wheels, etc, and they'll be able to recommend a setup that will be a good match for you.

Centerlock is generally preferable, but it's not a big deal, they both work. The dropouts in your bike are going to limit the skewer you can use.
My experince with hired tradesmen in general has been way less than perfect. Bike shops have not been an exception. Most shops seem to have, at best, one mechanic who knows what they are doing. The rest are learners, hired at the lowest wage the labor pool will supply. For that reason, I would prefer to go with a factory made wheelset. But I have not eliminated the option of a local wheel builder.
Tony_G is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 10:56 AM
  #33  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,218
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12044 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 1,895 Posts
Even still, talk to the mechanic at your LBS; even if you don't have confidence in their ability to build a wheel for you, they might have some insight into what a good wheel for your purposes would be like.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 06:48 PM
  #34  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 8,565

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 193 Posts
Or just post a thread in the mechanics subforum.
Kimmo is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 07:41 PM
  #35  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,924
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
I would prefer to go with a factory made wheelset. But I have not eliminated the option of a local wheel builder.
I agree that there are people who build wheels who don't do a good job, I should know, but in my opinion a hand built wheel done by a good builder will be superior to a machine built (factory built) wheel in many cases. My best luck with wheels has always been hand built by local builders.

If you'd like to try it yourself get a book called "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.
big john is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 08:44 PM
  #36  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 8,565

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 193 Posts
Yeah, it's easier than you think. A rear wheel is a bit trickier, but the main thing is to know the half- dozen or so critical pointers, and then you can just use patience to make up for lack of experience.

In fact, I think its quite possible for someone building their first wheel to do a better job than an experienced builder, since you most likely won't be paying for more than an hour's work; he'll get it to 95% good and call that good enough, while you can keep tweaking away till it's 98% or better. Good idea to have some spare nipples on hand, though.
Kimmo is offline  
Old 10-01-19, 09:48 PM
  #37  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,218
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12044 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 1,895 Posts
I like having nipples around.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 10-02-19, 05:15 AM
  #38  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 5,955

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
Thanks. Right now I'm looking for the whole wheel assembly. I plan to check some LBS tomorrow, and depending on local whole wheel prices, if they have anyone that laces wheels I may go with the new rim and spokes option.

?
An overbuilt option (probably not too lightweight):
https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-20...00c-95184.html
Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-02-19, 07:11 PM
  #39  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 190

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
An overbuilt option (probably not too lightweight):
https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-20...00c-95184.html
At last, a wheel that fits. But, as mentioned in my OP, I'm looking for a US based seller.
Tony_G is offline  
Old 10-02-19, 07:21 PM
  #40  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 190

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
Yeah, it's easier than you think. A rear wheel is a bit trickier, but the main thing is to know the half- dozen or so critical pointers, and then you can just use patience to make up for lack of experience.

In fact, I think its quite possible for someone building their first wheel to do a better job than an experienced builder, since you most likely won't be paying for more than an hour's work; he'll get it to 95% good and call that good enough, while you can keep tweaking away till it's 98% or better. Good idea to have some spare nipples on hand, though.
Forty some years ago, I tried truing my dirt bike wheels. It was no disaster, but didn't turn out particularly well.

Today there is YouTube and written forums, and decades of experience has improved my general DIY skills. But wheel building is a time sink that I donít want to enter, at least not now.
Tony_G is offline  
Likes For Tony_G:
Old 10-03-19, 12:53 PM
  #41  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 190

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I agree that there are people who build wheels who don't do a good job, I should know, but in my opinion a hand built wheel done by a good builder will be superior to a machine built (factory built) wheel in many cases. My best luck with wheels has always been hand built by local builders.

If you'd like to try it yourself get a book called "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.
Okay, I finally made a decision today.

Iím going with the wheel builder option. A new DT Swiss R 460 rim with all new spokes mated to my current hub. Iím having it done at a small three person shop, but they have been around for a while. It is going to be approximately $55 for the rim, $55 for spokes, and $50 for labor.

The DT Swiss rim is warrantied for 2 years, but no actual warranty on the wheel build. Shop owner said ďcase by case basisĒ, which to me translates to zero.

Wonít be ready until Friday the 11th, they had to order the rim.

Another shop I tried came up with a nice Mavic rim paired with a Shimano hub and freewheel, for around $300. They didnít do wheel builds. They had no warranty info, which I found off putting.

With the wheel build being half the price of a new rear wheel complete, it was a fairly easy decision.
Tony_G is offline  
Old 10-03-19, 01:01 PM
  #42  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 13,924
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
Okay, I finally made a decision today.

Iím going with the wheel builder option. A new DT Swiss R 460 rim with all new spokes mated to my current hub. Iím having it done at a small three person shop, but they have been around for a while. It is going to be approximately $55 for the rim, $55 for spokes, and $50 for labor.

The DT Swiss rim is warrantied for 2 years, but no actual warranty on the wheel build. Shop owner said ďcase by case basisĒ, which to me translates to zero.

Wonít be ready until Friday the 11th, they had to order the rim.

Another shop I tried came up with a nice Mavic rim paired with a Shimano hub and freewheel, for around $300. They didnít do wheel builds. They had no warranty info, which I found off putting.

With the wheel build being half the price of a new rear wheel complete, it was a fairly easy decision.
Good luck! It sounds like a good wheel if they get the tension right. You never know, I had a guy build a rear wheel for my mountain bike a couple months ago and it has been great. The guy is a friend of my LBS, I think I'll be asking him to build any wheels I might need in the future.
big john is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.