Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Microshift Advent 8 or 9 speed?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-03-19, 08:23 AM
Jsnaggle

Bikes: 1991 Bridgestone MB-1, 2022 BMC Monstercross, 1990 Bianchi Axis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I recently built up a 92 Trek 930 to a 1X9 setup and quickly realized that my 1:1 granny ratio is not low enough. I've got a use for the shifter, derailleur, cassette, and chain on my Bridgestone and plan to go with Microshift's Advent setup giving me a 36/42 low gear. I had planned on going 9 speed until I realized that there was an Advent 8 speed cassette with the 42t cog. Somehow they both use the same rear derailleur? In typical fashion, every 8 speed component is cheaper and I already have a new 8 speed chain. My thoughts are that it may be a tad more durable with thicker chain as well.
Any downsides to the 8 speed system besides the loss of the 11t high gear to a 12t?
Old 11-03-19, 08:41 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
I have the Advent in a 9 speed system....I think its the minimum amount of gears for Mt Biking.
Old 11-11-19, 10:47 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsnaggle
I recently built up a 92 Trek 930 to a 1X9 setup and quickly realized that my 1:1 granny ratio is not low enough. I've got a use for the shifter, derailleur, cassette, and chain on my Bridgestone and plan to go with Microshift's Advent setup giving me a 36/42 low gear. I had planned on going 9 speed until I realized that there was an Advent 8 speed cassette with the 42t cog. Somehow they both use the same rear derailleur? In typical fashion, every 8 speed component is cheaper and I already have a new 8 speed chain. My thoughts are that it may be a tad more durable with thicker chain as well.
Any downsides to the 8 speed system besides the loss of the 11t high gear to a 12t?
I can't think of any downside, except for one less cog. This could lead to more abrupt shifting.

But I would still stump for the clutched 9-speed set-up and use the 8-speed chain for something else. The 9-speed set-up will be plenty durable between $20 and $25 more than its 8-speed sibling.

And it looks like you could actually use an 11-46 cassette. Marin has specced MicroSHIFT Advent for its 2020 Nicasio + model and has equipped it with a Sunrace 11-46 cassette.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-nicasio
Old 11-12-19, 08:54 AM
Jsnaggle

Bikes: 1991 Bridgestone MB-1, 2022 BMC Monstercross, 1990 Bianchi Axis

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going 9 speed as quality 8 speed stuff seems much more difficult to find. I'm only 140lbs and don't ride that hard so I doubt chain life will be any issue. Nice to know the rear derailleur will handle an 11-46 cassette! Curious to see how this 1X Advent setup handles. Got the derailleur and sealed bearing trigger shifter today. Not for the weight weenies but they seem durable.
Likes For Jsnaggle: