Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's was your first bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's was your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 01:36 PM
strangdang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
16” wheel fixie

My first bike was in 1956, a 16” wheeled, solid tires, fixed gear with no additional brakes. In red of course. With a fixed gear when your feet came off the pedals the pedals would keep going around and smack you good.
Old 03-02-20, 01:42 PM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
New '56 Raleigh three speed

Last edited by LeftyS7; 03-02-20 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 01:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by imakecircles
This was me with my first bike, a Ross compact. This would have been about 1978.

Either the colors in that photo have faded some, or you grew up in the beigest/brownest place on earth.
Old 03-02-20, 02:43 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
My first bike was a late 60s Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the bike.
Old 03-02-20, 02:47 PM
cp256

Bikes: Klein Team Super, Gios Super Record, old Peugeot beater

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first bicycle

Mine was a red AMF Roadmaster Junior.

It wasn't long before I was racing other kids in the neighborhood.

Can't post a picture because I have only been a member here for seven years so far.
Likes For cp256:
Old 03-02-20, 03:16 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I'm not sure of the year, but it was a red, single-speed Schwinn Speedster, with a coaster brake. All the cool kids had Sting-Rays with banana seats, etc., but I got this dorky huge bike with big wheels. I then learned that the bigger tires were more efficient and probably faster than the cool kids' bikes.
Old 03-02-20, 05:07 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
It was July 5 1974. (My grandpa observed me the day before riding a toddler bike after I removed the training wheels). I received a new Kmart All-Pro. It was a 20" high rise, red fade to white. The banana seat was metallic sparkle red bolsters with white surround trim. Single speed coaster. I LOVED it!!! A week later, he bought me another for my house. It was the same model, but was so slightly different. I always liked the first one best for some aesthetic reason. I had those bikes from when I was 6 and eventually turned them into wannabe BMX bikes. I eventually inherited my grandpa's K-mart 10 speed about 4 years later, but my dad bought me a yellow Schwinn Stingray from the police auction, and I liked that bike so much better than the 10 speed (or the others'). It lasted until it was stolen a couple of years later, and then back to the 10 speed. After that, my dad bought me a new Shogun 10 speed in 1981. That was my last bike until I bought my own as an adult.
Old 03-05-20, 06:36 PM
Mark Ainsworth

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon (2016); Trek Multi-Track 750 (1996 I think)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red Schwinn Typhoon (Mid '60s)

I had that bike for years. At one point it got outfitted with a banana seat and high-rise handlebars. Shortly after the upgrade, it got stolen when I as at the local mall. My mom came and drove around the parking lot. The bike was in someone's pickup truck (meaning an adult was involved in the heist. My mother was disgusted. She did not call the police though. I think because she did not want the bike to become evidence and unavailable) We just took it back.
Old 03-07-20, 11:53 PM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It was orange

I got my first bike for my seventh birthday. It was a used 24", older, balloon tire, no name that my Dad painted bright orange. There was nothing special about it, except it was greatest toy that I had. We lived in the country on a dirt road with little traffic and I soon was riding it everyday after school. In a couple of years, my younger brother was old enough to ride, so he got it. We shared for a while, but you knew that wasn't going to work. Alas, I cannot find a photo.

So, my next bike was another old thing, a step-up at 26", that we found in the garage when we bought the house. Balloon tires, faded dark blue paint, chrome that was mostly rust, and handlebars about two feet wide. Dad somehow made it rideable. I went on to paint it yellow and it became "old yeller". Hey, I was a kid!

Then, my cousin gave me his old Raleigh when I was about 14, a Sturmey Archer 3 speed. I was one of the first of my friends to have a multi speed bike. I eventually took it to college and it was stolen out of my fraternity house.

A couple of years later, I started my Peugeot collection. That first metalic blue, UO8 I rode endlessly. It almost became part of me; I felt so comfortable on it. A bearing cup in the front hub is now cracked and waiting for repair.

You know, I just realized that I've never had a "new" bike. But the ones I've had have all been good to me.
Old 03-08-20, 03:44 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
I learned to ride my cousins bike, a balloon tired step thru Schwinn that was way to big, it was blue with white stripes. It was so big the front of the seat hit me in the middle of my back. The first one just for me was a Sears 3 speed to deliver newspapers, complete with dual baskets on the back. Both my older brother and I had one. The first one I bought was a 20" Sears singlespeed stingray. I modded it to a long fork BMX with the front fork from the 27" 3 speed and some 20" knobbies.
Old 03-08-20, 11:32 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,130 Posts

J.C. Higgins lightweight.
Bought by my dad from a "junk shop," the bike flippers of that era. Nicely repainted in red and white. With brand new Uniroyal "chain-link" tires. I look pretty nonchalant in the photo but I loved that bike!
Yes I rode it barefoot.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-08-20, 05:12 PM
Crosis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My first bike was a Columbia single speed kids bike with coaster brakes and a banana seat.
Old 03-08-20, 06:23 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Aside from my tricycle and a red flyer with training wheels, my first "real" bike was a blue Schwinn Stingray 2-speed with slicks. I really, really wish I still had that Stingray.
Old 03-08-20, 06:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Royce Union 3 speed, about 1964. Had to save up money 'til I was 10.

The brakes were crap- impossible to skid, but I put a lot of miles on that thing.

Clearly remember the first time that I made it up the steep hill that we lived on, without stopping- mailman to the max!

Like this but black:

Last edited by woodcraft; 03-08-20 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-08-20, 06:41 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts

Black and White Schwinn Typhoon. Single speed, rear coaster brake only, built like a tank and survived a lot of abuse. Loved that bike and put a lot miles on it without any issues. I don't even remember getting any punctures. Actually learned to ride on a kind of junker hand me down but other than being red I have no idea what kind of bike it was.

Then the Stingray came out and I wanted one of those more than anything in the world. Unfortunately, as much as I begged and pleaded with my father to let me get on there was no way in hell he would even consider it. He was ultra conservative and the Stingray was way too radical.
Likes For August West:
Old 03-08-20, 06:57 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Bike, not Trike would have been the '50s-era 24-inch balloon-tired Montgomery Ward 'Western Flyer' step through 'girls bike' that my folks bought used for my older sister in ~1960. The story is that she made it down the driveway and crashed into the garbage cans at the street.
After a few years of riding that behemoth, I'd surreptitiously 'steal' my dad's J.C. Higgins (Austrian-built for Sears) Puch three-speed by the time I was 10 or so... So they bought me a Sears three-speed for my 12th birthday, 1970. I rode that year 'round in Cleveland until the frame broke due to rust-through in early 1974, when I bought my first 10-speed -- an all-steel '74 Fuji Special Tourer.
Old 03-08-20, 07:44 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts

Had to use the internet to find it but it was a 1980 Schwinn Phantom Scrambler in blue with yellow Mag wheels.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-09-20, 02:51 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 1joel1
My first bike was a 1960s purple Schwinn Varsity. I think they only made that color for a few years. I periodically check sites to see if I can find one again. Nostalgia has a huge grip on me.

Joel
Love a Violet Varsity!

I have a couple over the top customs...

Likes For kingsting:
Old 03-11-20, 07:57 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My first bike was a Western Flyer banana seat bike with a frame similar to the bike in post #6 . It also had the chrome fenders, but they eventually got taken off. I rode the heck out of that bike until my parents had gotten a Schwinn 10-speed somewhere and I started riding that.