Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know or Do

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know or Do

Old 05-05-20, 10:34 AM
notmyke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
How is this different from a saddle bag other than taking up space that could be used for an actual water bottle?
I pointed out the benefits as I saw them (e.g., move it from one bike to the other in <5sec, etc.).
I can easily lose 2-3kg of sweat in a 50km ride and 3 big-size water bottles has always been more than enough for even a 75km ride - usually, I'll just go with two and be fine. When I'm going 100km+ on a hot, humid day and it isn't, there are watering holes available along the route where I can grab a refill.

Carrying almost half the weight of my bike (4 x 750mL) in water, with a 500ft. elevation gain right at the start of my ride....I'd just rather not.
Old 05-05-20, 11:32 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
If you're lost, or in doubt, go uphill. It really sucks on a loaded tour to make a wrong turn and realize you have a big frickin' climb ahead of you for no reason.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 05-05-20, 12:03 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I don't get all the hate for saddlebags either. I personally need to be able to carry two water bottles, and as I get into summer months where I'll be riding in temperatures over 100 degrees F even that isn't enough. I'll start with an extra water bottle in a jersey pocket, but if I go far enough I just have to have my wallet with me and plan on stopping at a gas station somewhere and refilling them.

The idea of wasting a water bottle mounting point just to avoid using a saddlebag is bonkers where I ride. And I struggle to understand the motivation for it. "It's ugly!" Says who? Is it uglier than having this huge lump on your lower back because you've shoved all the same stuff into a jersey pocket instead? Or have a tool keg mounted to the frame instead of a water bottle? As far as aerodynamics goes I have a hard time believing a tool keg mounted further forward on the frame and at a lower height is more aerodynamic than a reasonable saddle bag, since the saddlebag is in the lee of your thighs, the seatpost, etc. People are gonna do what they're gonna do, but as long as there's a need to be prepared to self-recover during long solo or group rides without external support, the saddlebag is just about the perfect option for putting the necessaries.
I give priority to water in bottle cages, as well. Between, eventually, a regular 800ml bottle and three 1.1 liter bottles (one in the triangle and two attached to the front rack). I am quite happy with having a bag under the seat for tools and tubes. In the pic, below, I am hoping to mount two more Salsa cages in the triangles of the front rack, using p-clamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BikePic28042020b.jpg (22.4 KB, 245 views)
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-05-20, 12:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Are they not designed for different chain widths?
Nope. It will be fine.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole you can learn about "Shimergo"
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-05-20, 12:39 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave P
When slowing down to a stop, we often downshift, anticipating the need for the correct gear to get rolling again. There was a period of time that I would do this without considering which position my chainring was in. Often times, I was in the big ring, leading to a downshift being in a big-big configuration (ie. cross chaining).

Now, whenever coming to a stop, I simply shift the front derailleur to the small ring. Whatever rear cassette gear I'm in, is not really a big deal.

I know this might sound silly, stupid or obvious, but it really does help.

Pedal On, Brothers.
Most crit racers purposely start by cross-chaining big-big so they don't have to shift chainrings getting up to speed.

Originally Posted by Chinghis
If you're lost, or in doubt, go uphill. It really sucks on a loaded tour to make a wrong turn and realize you have a big frickin' climb ahead of you for no reason.
And if you're bombing a descent you don't know and come to a fork, don't slow down, don't check where you are. Just take whichever way looks most fun and figure it out when you get to the bottom.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 05-05-20, 01:03 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Nope. It will be fine.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole you can learn about "Shimergo"
I assumed the cage was narrower on a 9-10 speed derailleur, since the chain is narrower, and you might get chain rub with a big fat 7-speed chain. But you're saying the width of the cage is the same. Good to know. So far I haven't had trouble finding "period correct" derailleurs (Deore mostly) that were made specifically for 7 speed chains, but someday I might.
Old 05-05-20, 01:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
The certainty of riding uphill is more attractive than the possibility of riding uphill?
Old 05-05-20, 01:23 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The certainty of riding uphill is more attractive than the possibility of riding uphill?
Yes! Because if you took a wrong turn, then it's easy to roll down. If you were right, then you would have had to climb it anyway. If you're lost and go downhill, I dunno, just kind of sucks to have to grind up a hill you didn't have to.
Old 05-05-20, 01:25 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
How about "Never get lost while going downhill."
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-05-20, 01:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you get lost and go down hill, pick a new destination.

I've been riding in Death Valley for years, there's no way out.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-05-20, 01:46 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I don't get all the hate for saddlebags either. I personally need to be able to carry two water bottles, and as I get into summer months where I'll be riding in temperatures over 100 degrees F even that isn't enough. I'll start with an extra water bottle in a jersey pocket, but if I go far enough I just have to have my wallet with me and plan on stopping at a gas station somewhere and refilling them.

The idea of wasting a water bottle mounting point just to avoid using a saddlebag is bonkers where I ride. And I struggle to understand the motivation for it. "It's ugly!" Says who? Is it uglier than having this huge lump on your lower back because you've shoved all the same stuff into a jersey pocket instead? Or have a tool keg mounted to the frame instead of a water bottle? As far as aerodynamics goes I have a hard time believing a tool keg mounted further forward on the frame and at a lower height is more aerodynamic than a reasonable saddle bag, since the saddlebag is in the lee of your thighs, the seatpost, etc. People are gonna do what they're gonna do, but as long as there's a need to be prepared to self-recover during long solo or group rides without external support, the saddlebag is just about the perfect option for putting the necessaries.
All of my bikes have a trunk bag. Always plenty of room for everything I want to take with me.
Old 05-05-20, 04:37 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Unless the destination was a mile downhill, but in doubt you went ten miles uphill.

Then it would suck to realize that you have a big frickin' hill behind you.
Old 05-06-20, 05:22 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
One person's "pearl" may be different than other person's but valid in their experience. A little discussion is healthy but too much can turn the thread in to a battleground.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-06-20, 08:00 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Reuseable silicone (pearled) zip ties.
Old 05-06-20, 03:26 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Unless the destination was a mile downhill, but in doubt you went ten miles uphill.

Then it would suck to realize that you have a big frickin' hill behind you.
That's called "a sense of accomplishment."
Old 05-06-20, 06:23 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
A Big Ass Traffic Cone for your garage.

So...

a) your spouse/partner/roomie knows you'd like a brief delay in parking so you can hang/work/use your bike and not cause a minor aggravation to move the car again. (be polite and park the car yourself and score some points maybe?)
b) remind yourself you have a several thousand dollars worth of bike(s) on your roof rack and don't f***ing pull in!

Old 05-06-20, 06:30 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Don't follow a rider in front of you through a stop sign. You might get t-boned by a car going 40 mph.
Old 05-09-20, 07:18 AM
switchblade 327

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Post Your Pearls That "Most" Others Don't Know

Went to an amusement park years ago, they had dog tags so I had my name, address, phone# stamped on it. That way I always had an ID on me. Not official or anything but its better than nothing.
Likes For switchblade 327:
Old 05-09-20, 08:45 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by switchblade 327
Went to an amusement park years ago, they had dog tags so I had my name, address, phone# stamped on it. That way I always had an ID on me. Not official or anything but its better than nothing.
You can also get those ID tags online from sites such as www.dogtagsonline.com .
Old 05-09-20, 07:33 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I leave the out-front head unit mount a little loose so it can be adjusted for glare.

This should also make it less likely to break in a mishap.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-10-20, 08:44 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
An amusement park?>>---Sure didn't seem like an amusement park at the time. My dog tags don't have an address because that changes all the time, but they do have my blood type on them.
Old 05-10-20, 08:51 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Chain Patch--A while back I got off my line and scored a rock with my large front sprocket which is also where the chain was on. When I hit the flats and upshifted the rear cogs kept skipping. Turns out my chain got crunched. I pried on it with a screw driver until it somewhat worked and rode out the day. When I got back I took out 4 links with my chain breaker (2 damaged ones and the one before and after) then put in 4 links from an old chain that came off it. Used a hammer to flatten the heads of the pins so they can't crawl back out and all is good. Soon I will replace the entire chain, but until then it works.
Old 05-10-20, 09:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
One more pearl to add. It’s this place.

In spite of the snarky flavor, there is a wealth of knowledge here in the 41 and I am grateful for it.

Likes For datlas:
Old 05-10-20, 10:16 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Road ID
Old 05-10-20, 10:20 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by cybirr
b) remind yourself you have a several thousand dollars worth of bike(s) on your roof rack and don't f***ing pull in!
My son hangs a bicycle shaped medallion from the rear view mirror when he has a bike on the roof.

Some drive thru have low overhangs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.