Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Compact chainrings on a triple set up

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-13-20, 05:13 PM
dirtydozen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hello,

I just got a very sweet deal on a bike but the gray triple chainring that comes with the bike is far from ideal to me.
A black chainring would look so much better as there is a bit of black on frame, and Compact looks also nicer than a triple that I don't really need.

Anyway, question is : can I just swap the triple rings for a compact double, and keep the triple shifters + front mech ?
Groupset is 105 5800 (chainring probably isn't 105 5800 though since it's all gray without any righting on it)

Kind regards

edit : a double front mech wouldn't cost that much, if a triple front mech doesn't work with 2 chainrings, can I put pretty much any double front mech I find ?

Last edited by dirtydozen; 05-13-20 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 05:32 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtydozen
Hello,

I just got a very sweet deal on a bike but the gray triple chainring that comes with the bike is far from ideal to me.
A black chainring would look so much better as there is a bit of black on frame, and Compact looks also nicer than a triple that I don't really need.

Anyway, question is : can I just swap the triple rings for a compact double, and keep the triple shifters + front mech ?
Groupset is 105 5800 (chainring probably isn't 105 5800 though since it's all gray without any righting on it)....
I'm not following how the groupset is Shimano 5800. I haven't seen that Shimano 5800 has any triple shifters or cranksets.
Old 05-14-20, 02:15 AM
dirtydozen

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
I'm not following how the groupset is Shimano 5800. I haven't seen that Shimano 5800 has any triple shifters or cranksets.
I know the crankset isn't 105, but i thought the shifters were. I don't have the bike yet, it's being delivered to me tomorrow or on monday.

It comes from a bikeshop and the guy told me it was 11x3. Maybe it's not 105 5800 shifters then, but since its 11 speed should be a recent pair of shifters
Old 05-16-20, 04:00 AM
dirtydozen

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I just got the bike delivered, actually it's a 10 speed, so it's not 105 5800 like the bike shop said.

So to go from triple crankset to 50/34, can I get away with simply buying new chairings or cranks and keep my triple shifter and front mech ?

thanks
Old 05-16-20, 05:55 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
You need a new crankset. If you go Shimano-Shimano you can probably keep the bottom bracket. (This is the part with bearings the crank axle goes through. The may be some combinations that require a new BB... but probably not.) You need a new front derailleur. You can keep the triple shifter. You can use an 11sp crankset if you wish, they're fully compatible with 10sp Shimano drivetrains. (Like Shimano R7000 105 @ $150 or R8000 Ultegra @ $200 online. Or FSA SL-K, but then you definitely need a new BB.)
Likes For sfrider:
Old 05-16-20, 10:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
The bolt circle diameter is different between a compact and a triple so the rings won't fit.
Old 05-16-20, 11:00 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The bolt circle diameter is different between a compact and a triple so the rings won't fit.
Potentially true in this case, although in general it really depends on the specifics. For instance, pretty much any classic 5-bolt 110/74 (or all-110) triple can be easily converted to 50-34 by simply installing 50-34 chainrings in the big and middle positions.

That said, triple-to-double crank conversions will always perplex me. It often doesn't buy you anything with respect to q or chainline. And it's not like 1x where you get a tangible increase to the bike's simplicity. So you're often giving up a wider front range and snappier tighter front shifts for basically nothing, especially if your shifter already works with the existing rings.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 05-16-20, 11:28 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Can of spray paint seems a tad easier.
Old 05-16-20, 11:30 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Also... bike shop told you it was an 11 speed but turns out to be a 10 and your ok with that?
Old 05-17-20, 02:45 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
You should keep the triple. Move to somewhere with hills and bike shops that can count properly.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-17-20, 08:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev

That said, triple-to-double crank conversions will always perplex me. It often doesn't buy you anything with respect to q or chainline. And it's not like 1x where you get a tangible increase to the bike's simplicity. So you're often giving up a wider front range and snappier tighter front shifts for basically nothing, especially if your shifter already works with the existing rings.
That's what I was thinking. Why bother? One of my bikes has a triple and it's a super wide range and still has close spacing on the cassette.

It's Ultegra with 130bcd.

Last edited by big john; 05-17-20 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-17-20, 11:00 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Buy a new compact double that you like the looks of and whatever BB that crank specifies. Sell the triple w/ accompanying BB on eBay. There's actually a pretty good market for them. You'll offset the cost outlay nicely.

Use your existing triple shifter and front derailleur. It's possible the FD won't shift well, but I'd bet it will work fine and you won't bother changing. If, for any reason, you're not happy with the front shifting, assuming you know how to set up and adjust it well, buy a new FD. They're very cheap, especially on eBay. Get any one that strikes your fancy, but probably best to match with Shimano 10 speed offerings. Not critical though.

Scold the bike shop for such a dumb mistake "3X11". Really dumb, amateurish. Ask them for $100 off because you were expecting something more current than what you got (but.... what you got is fine!).
Old 05-20-20, 12:11 PM
dirtydozen

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Also... bike shop told you it was an 11 speed but turns out to be a 10 and your ok with that?
Originally Posted by Camilo
Buy a new compact double that you like the looks of and whatever BB that crank specifies. Sell the triple w/ accompanying BB on eBay. There's actually a pretty good market for them. You'll offset the cost outlay nicely.

Use your existing triple shifter and front derailleur. It's possible the FD won't shift well, but I'd bet it will work fine and you won't bother changing. If, for any reason, you're not happy with the front shifting, assuming you know how to set up and adjust it well, buy a new FD. They're very cheap, especially on eBay. Get any one that strikes your fancy, but probably best to match with Shimano 10 speed offerings. Not critical though.

Scold the bike shop for such a dumb mistake "3X11". Really dumb, amateurish. Ask them for $100 off because you were expecting something more current than what you got (but.... what you got is fine!).

It's alright, i always rode on 9 or less so I'm happy with 10. But yeah when I got the bike I was a bit pissed because some stuff he said on the phone weren't true. But on the other hand he didn't mention i'd get carbon handlebar and stem lol..
It was a very good deal so in the end I don't mind his "lies".

Originally Posted by HTupolev

Well in my case, I have a triple chainring that is gray and trust me it would look way way better in black. I think a double crankset looks better than a triple one, I really don't mind riding on two chainrings and with 34x34 I can even do my yearly trip in the mountains.
That being said, a black triple would do the job too, it's ok.
Old 08-09-20, 09:56 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I just got back into riding after about a 10 year absence. I have a Specialized Roubaix Comp (that's the model) with a Triple chainring. At the time Compacts were just gaining wide use. I was kicking myself at the time for not going with a compact as "it looked cooler". Well forward to today and I thank God for the granny gear when I'm climbing hills. I would not have made some of the climbs without it. As I get stronger I may not need it but as I get older I want to protect my knees.

So, if you want to hold onto the bike you might keep it as is as later like me you might regret the change.
Likes For Symox: