Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cracked Titanium Frame - What Now?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-16-20, 07:44 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 64 Posts

Hello, I just realized my Litespeed Ultimate titanium frame has a crack on the weld where the bottom bracket meets the non-driveside chainstay. I bought it for the parts and the frame never fit me, so not a great personal loss, but what does one do with a cracked titanium frame? Can it be salvaged in any way? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Last edited by Force; 06-16-20 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 08:13 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
Perhaps this might fit better on the frame builder thread??

I believe welding titanium is a very specialized field.
Old 06-16-20, 08:21 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
https://www.stevepottsbicycles.com/our-story.html

I met Steve Potts at a swap meet. He says he does titanium repairs.
Old 06-16-20, 08:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Could try taking it to a litespeed shop and seeing if a warranty is possible even though it sounds like you aren't the original owner they still might try since that looks like a real defect. It might get you a newer, better fitting frame or at least something you can sell for a better fitting frame. Otherwise scrap it or trash it. Fixing it won't be cheap especially adding in shipping 2 ways if nothing is closer. Could take the same cash to ebay and end up with a similar frame that fits.
Old 06-16-20, 09:57 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Ti Cycles does titanium repair.

https://www.ticycles.com/services#services-main

: Mike
Old 06-16-20, 10:15 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I bought a titanium frame with a small crack in its head tube for a few bucks. I've been riding it now for about a year, with no issues. My repair was fairly involved, but here is what I would suggest:

Drill the ends of the crack with a small drill -- something like 1/8" or 2mm. That often stops the spread of a stress crack. It's a proven technique in aeronautics. That may be all you need to ride it for years. Of course, this isn't your size, so that doesn't seem like what you want to do, and buyers won't be stoked to see a crack terminating in two holes. There hasn't been much marketing hype around that concept, despite the fact that it does make the frame slightly lighter.

Anyway, I went further with my frame and used a very special epoxy that Serotta uses to bond carbon fiber to titanium and laid up carbon on the inside of the headtube -- about the same thickness as the tubing itself, which was actually quite thin, maybe 1 mm. I used an expansion bag and inflated it to compress the carbon. That sounds complex, but in simpler terms, it was a bicycle tube that I inflated to 40 psi.

If you want to get rid of the frame, don't trash it -- definitely sell it for a few bucks with the crack pictured well. Welding is the best solution, but as others mentioned, it's expensive if you're not set up to do it yourself, and few are. Other strange people like me would be happy to try to gin up a solution to ride it.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 06-16-20, 10:24 PM
Force 

[QUOTE=WGB;21538138]Perhaps this might fit better on the frame builder thread??

Good point. C&V is my go-to, so went here first.
Old 06-16-20, 10:27 PM
Force 

Originally Posted by ljsense
I bought a titanium frame with a small crack in its head tube for a few bucks. I've been riding it now for about a year, with no issues. My repair was fairly involved, but here is what I would suggest:

Drill the ends of the crack with a small drill -- something like 1/8" or 2mm. That often stops the spread of a stress crack. It's a proven technique in aeronautics. That may be all you need to ride it for years. Of course, this isn't your size, so that doesn't seem like what you want to do, and buyers won't be stoked to see a crack terminating in two holes. There hasn't been much marketing hype around that concept, despite the fact that it does make the frame slightly lighter.

Anyway, I went further with my frame and used a very special epoxy that Serotta uses to bond carbon fiber to titanium and laid up carbon on the inside of the headtube -- about the same thickness as the tubing itself, which was actually quite thin, maybe 1 mm. I used an expansion bag and inflated it to compress the carbon. That sounds complex, but in simpler terms, it was a bicycle tube that I inflated to 40 psi.

If you want to get rid of the frame, don't trash it -- definitely sell it for a few bucks with the crack pictured well. Welding is the best solution, but as others mentioned, it's expensive if you're not set up to do it yourself, and few are. Other strange people like me would be happy to try to gin up a solution to ride it.
Thanks - Good suggestions. I don't have a use for it, so maybe I can sell it for a few bucks. Would feel strange trashing it.