Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Issues with Paul Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 07:03 PM
JBaldauff

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5, Gunnar Crosshairs, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Trek 720, Dahon Speed D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Issues with Paul Brakes

Hey all, I am having issues with my Paul Brakes tied to 10 speed Sram Force lever with Stan's wheelset. I have the Paul Minimoto up front and the Paul Touring Cantis in the rear. Both are mushy, even with the pads close to the rim. I have had so many issues with these brakes in spite of a lot of people saying they are the best and easy to install/adjust. I have watched all the youtube videos and done all the things.

Am I alone in this? Thoughts? Alternatives? Gah.

Thanks y'all.
Old 06-17-20, 07:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Have you tried compressionless housing? https://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanica...-brake-housing
Old 06-17-20, 08:23 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
One question -are those levers you speak of long pull or short pull? Both Touring Cantis and Minimotos are supposed to use short pull levers.
Second thought: an issue that could cause mushiness is if the pads are not in plane with the rim surface. There's a plastic tool that Cantitoe Road sells for ten dollars from IceToolz that I use to get pad alignment spot on. I have Paul NeoRetro up front with Touring Cantis in back and have massive stopping power. I just have regular brake housing and TRP levers on drop bars. My other bike has a similar setup but with Paul levers on flat bars, similar brake action, no mushiness.
Old 06-17-20, 09:57 PM
JBaldauff

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5, Gunnar Crosshairs, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Trek 720, Dahon Speed D7

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I do have it set up with compressionless housing.
Old 06-17-20, 09:58 PM
JBaldauff

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
One question -are those levers you speak of long pull or short pull? Both Touring Cantis and Minimotos are supposed to use short pull levers.
Second thought: an issue that could cause mushiness is if the pads are not in plane with the rim surface. There's a plastic tool that Cantitoe Road sells for ten dollars from IceToolz that I use to get pad alignment spot on. I have Paul NeoRetro up front with Touring Cantis in back and have massive stopping power. I just have regular brake housing and TRP levers on drop bars. My other bike has a similar setup but with Paul levers on flat bars, similar brake action, no mushiness.
Thanks Randall. Gah, I just assumed they are short pull. Do you know if 10speed Force shifters were even made in long pull?
Old 06-18-20, 01:11 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
My TRP brake levers (not brifters) are short pull, they are for drop bars, I would guess your SRAM levers are also short pull being as they are similar, drop bar (brifters?). Not finding a clear indication about that as the new SRAM force are for hydraulics.
Old 06-18-20, 08:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by JBaldauff
Hey all, I am having issues with my Paul Brakes tied to 10 speed Sram Force lever with Stan's wheelset. I have the Paul Minimoto up front and the Paul Touring Cantis in the rear. Both are mushy, even with the pads close to the rim. I have had so many issues with these brakes in spite of a lot of people saying they are the best and easy to install/adjust. I have watched all the youtube videos and done all the things.

Am I alone in this? Thoughts? Alternatives? Gah.

Thanks y'all.
Have you contacted Paul Components directly? Perhaps they have some advice. Seems like the kind of business that might respond to a customer.