Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXX7

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXX7

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 10:03 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We're watching you...........

Attached Images
Old 05-01-15, 10:08 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPK79
I generally don't do the paid organized rides, but I'm thinking about doing the MN Major ride out of Afton, MN. I did it in their second year (2013) and they did not hold it last year citing the ride was growing too fast and they needed more time to plan...

Just don't know if I want to drop $50 to ride a 100k route that I can do any weekend. It does benefit St Jude and the social aspect is nice. Meh.
If its moderately supported, a good cause, a good route, ok weather, some good friends to ride with, sounds like a fun event. $50 is cheap compared to many other organized rides, especially if they're throw in some good food.
Old 05-01-15, 10:09 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
Hmmm. NOAA says 48 for an 8:00 start time, met.no says 47 and WWO says 55!

Undecided about tights vs shorts at the moment.

This is why I usually like to start serious ride much later in the day
Old 05-01-15, 10:10 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Dogs are complicated animals. Truthfully, like people, they are all individuals. Most people have close experience with maybe a half-dozen dogs in their lifetime. For twenty years, I have spent 40-60 hours per week with all kinds of dogs. Because I need to perform neurological examinations on dogs, I can't sedate them and even a muzzle affects what I need to see adversely, I try to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. I spend a lot of time convincing a dog to cooperate with the very weird stuff I am doing, asking them to hop on one foot, shining a light in their eyes, tapping their tendons with a reflex hammer. Many times they are mentally abnormal or in pain. Its kind of a recipe for disaster. Yet I have not been bit by a dog since maybe 1999 or something like that.

The thing that works with most dogs is giving them a bit of confidence, most bad behavior comes from uncertainty and insecurity, the dog does not know what to do and some dogs will lunge or growl or try to bite for lack of knowing what they should do. Some dogs are like this naturally and this tendency can exacerbated by overwhelming life experiences like having your home taken from you and winding up in a rescue. Most dogs just want to clearly 100% know what they should do and the best thing you can do is show them some leadership. "This is what we're going to do now." If they argue with you or try to do something else, you just have to insist, over and over and over if necessary. It takes as long as it takes, all dogs are different.

The key with most dogs is to not try to intimidate them, it just scares them and makes things worse. An unfocused dog really cannot focus once the adrenalin starts flowing, whether that is fear or excitement or being startled. The trick is to be calm and patient and very clear as to what the dog should be doing, what is expected of her. Once she understands that and starts to know what to do, she will have a lot more confidence in life and start to become a great dog. I use this concept all the time, some dog is freaking out over getting a neuro exam. We stop, take a deep breath and I tell the dog to sit. I usually have no idea if the dog knows "sit" but if I see a little glimmer of recognition, I repeat the command until he does it. The he gets a biscuit, we might try shake next and see how that goes. After doing a few tricks right, the dog starts to feel better, tricks and biscuits are something he can understand and the world doesn't seem so scary any more. Then we can proceed with our regularly scheduled neuro exam.

Caesar Milan BTW is awful. Everything is about intimidating the dog, which is so wrong IMO. Its really about showing leadership and deescalating things. @BillyD has it way more right than Caesar Milan. The only suggestion that I would make to Billy is to try the "sit" trick. Teach her sit at home and then start sessions in the park with a little re-enforcement of the "sit" concept. If something starts to catch her eye, tell her to sit. It will help her to feel like she's getting things right.

Dominance aggression does indeed exist in dogs BTW. Its just rare and it not the overwhelming principle in managing dogs. Dogs with true dominance aggression can be dangerous and challenging them is the last thing your typical pet owner should try, especially a rottie owner. Maybe only 1-2ish % of dogs however are lunging or snapping out of dominance aggression.
Old 05-01-15, 10:14 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28616 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Photo Appropriation Alert!

The pictures at the bottom of this page seemed familiar.

No, I haven't lost it . . . yet.

2011 Cherohala Challenge Photo Ride Report ? Resonance

Old 05-01-15, 10:19 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Velo Vol

Have you requested free entry for this year's event?
Old 05-01-15, 10:24 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Dogs are complicated animals. Truthfully, like people, they are all individuals. Most people have close experience with maybe a half-dozen dogs in their lifetime. For twenty years, I have spent 40-60 hours per week with all kinds of dogs. Because I need to perform neurological examinations on dogs, I can't sedate them and even a muzzle affects what I need to see adversely, I try to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. I spend a lot of time convincing a dog to cooperate with the very weird stuff I am doing, asking them to hop on one foot, shining a light in their eyes, tapping their tendons with a reflex hammer. Many times they are mentally abnormal or in pain. Its kind of a recipe for disaster. Yet I have not been bit by a dog since maybe 1999 or something like that.

The thing that works with most dogs is giving them a bit of confidence, most bad behavior comes from uncertainty and insecurity, the dog does not know what to do and some dogs will lunge or growl or try to bite for lack of knowing what they should do. Some dogs are like this naturally and this tendency can exacerbated by overwhelming life experiences like having your home taken from you and winding up in a rescue. Most dogs just want to clearly 100% know what they should do and the best thing you can do is show them some leadership. "This is what we're going to do now." If they argue with you or try to do something else, you just have to insist, over and over and over if necessary. It takes as long as it takes, all dogs are different.

The key with most dogs is to not try to intimidate them, it just scares them and makes things worse. An unfocused dog really cannot focus once the adrenalin starts flowing, whether that is fear or excitement or being startled. The trick is to be calm and patient and very clear as to what the dog should be doing, what is expected of her. Once she understands that and starts to know what to do, she will have a lot more confidence in life and start to become a great dog. I use this concept all the time, some dog is freaking out over getting a neuro exam. We stop, take a deep breath and I tell the dog to sit. I usually have no idea if the dog knows "sit" but if I see a little glimmer of recognition, I repeat the command until he does it. The he gets a biscuit, we might try shake next and see how that goes. After doing a few tricks right, the dog starts to feel better, tricks and biscuits are something he can understand and the world doesn't seem so scary any more. Then we can proceed with our regularly scheduled neuro exam.

Caesar Milan BTW is awful. Everything is about intimidating the dog, which is so wrong IMO. Its really about showing leadership and deescalating things. @BillyD has it way more right than Caesar Milan. The only suggestion that I would make to Billy is to try the "sit" trick. Teach her sit at home and then start sessions in the park with a little re-enforcement of the "sit" concept. If something starts to catch her eye, tell her to sit. It will help her to feel like she's getting things right.

Dominance aggression does indeed exist in dogs BTW. Its just rare and it not the overwhelming principle in managing dogs. Dogs with true dominance aggression can be dangerous and challenging them is the last thing your typical pet owner should try, especially a rottie owner. Maybe only 1-2ish % of dogs however are lunging or snapping out of dominance aggression.

Excellent post and all so very true. Well said.
Old 05-01-15, 10:27 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28616 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Have you requested free entry for this year's event?
Should I?

I might have said they could use the pictures on the site . . . four years ago. I'm surprised they have been resurrected.
Old 05-01-15, 10:33 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol

That's quite blatant. However, in their defense, there does not seem to be a copyright embedded in any of the images. This is one reason why people who make a living off their images insist on copyrights being respected. You can add your name/logo as a mask to the image and definitely make sure the EXIF data contains information the you are the owner.
Old 05-01-15, 10:54 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
@Heathpack, I eminently respect your information on animals, and would never say anything. My only comment would be that in what I have watched recently (and it may be just the animals in the episodes), he has used the exact same words you just did: calm owners, leadership, and deescalating situations. So again, not arguing, total agreement of what you said, and my comment about him was raised because I had seen him be very calming recently.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow. Give 'em hell!!
Old 05-01-15, 10:57 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Wasn't there an Addiction poster years ago who trained rescued dogs for the military? I seem to recall someone doing that for a living, and putting up photos of the current trainees.
Old 05-01-15, 10:59 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,759 Times in 2,768 Posts
Awesome stuff, @Heathpack.

I sit for cookies. Shake too.
Old 05-01-15, 11:09 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by RollCNY
@Heathpack, I eminently respect your information on animals, and would never say anything. My only comment would be that in what I have watched recently (and it may be just the animals in the episodes), he has used the exact same words you just did: calm owners, leadership, and deescalating situations. So again, not arguing, total agreement of what you said, and my comment about him was raised because I had seen him be very calming recently.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow. Give 'em hell!!
Truthfully I haven't watched a Caesar episode in years, maybe he has cleaned up his act. My impression of him when I watched him previously was that he was browbeating the dogs and expecting them to behave with robotic precision, that he was somehow denying them their personality. Some dogs are going to learn what they are supposed to do and behave with robotic precision and be perfect. Some dogs are going to be goofballs and run around in circles and be distracted by butterflies. That's ok too, as long as they get the important things (like 'don't bite people') 100% right and the unimportant things (like 'don't jump on the furniture') generally right. Every dog does not need to walk exactly 6 inches behind the owners right shin. But again, I haven't watched Caesar in a long time so I probably should not have commented on him specifically. I do remember that he emphasized tiring dogs out and this is 100% spot on for high-energy dogs, expending some of that energy is hugely important to creating a situation in which they are capable of learning.

I really looking forward to tomorrows ride. It should be semi-epic.

H
Old 05-01-15, 11:16 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mzeffex
I made some pan-fried chicken and a medley of roasted vegetables tonight.

I vastly underestimated how long it takes to roast veggies, and ate my chicken an hour before the rest was done.

I make a mean roasted chicken & roasted veggies...:

What temp were you at?
Old 05-01-15, 11:17 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Good luck! Knock 'em dead!

Yep, I'm going down that road once I get her used to one dog at a time.

Incorrect. If a dog is not ready to expose her underside to you, you will get bitten, period. You cannot force some dogs to do that, Rotts in particular. They are strong-willed, independent-minded dogs. Once they love you and trust you, you're cool. But if you try to rush things you're going to get bitten. And that's the case with many dogs, not just Rotts.

Meanie.
Only having had dogs from 6 week old pups, i am sure my perspective is different.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-01-15, 11:29 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every dog does not need to walk exactly 6 inches behind the owners right shin...... I do remember that he emphasized tiring dogs out and this is 100% spot on for high-energy dogs, expending some of that energy is hugely important to creating a situation in which they are capable of learning.

I really looking forward to tomorrows ride. It should be semi-epic.

H

I never understood people who let the animal drag them around. I walk, dog walks. Dog walks faster and wants to run, starts pulling, I stop, dog chokes a bit, dog stops. After a while...dog walks the way I walk. Patience is huge, confidence, rewarding good behavior, and exercise, exercise, exercise...I see so many poor pooches in this city that are just manic because they don't get to just run and blow it all off...

Now, training Bengals...That's a whole other world!!!!

Post ride pics if you can...

I'm thinking of blowing everyone off this weekend and riding a solo century. Haven't done one my way in a while...
Old 05-01-15, 11:53 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Originally Posted by rjones28
I nearly abandoned the sport, after my first ride with @RollCNY.

#crushingsouls
And I felt awful about that. No. Really.
Old 05-01-15, 12:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Post ride pics if you can...
There will be no pics most likely, it's a race. There's 3 races in this event, then it's your total cumulative time on the three rides that determines your overall placement. There were 20 women who competed in the Mulholland Challenge, but only 11 of us are also registered for the Breathless Agony. There are way more women riding BA, about 60 in total. But only 11 of us who registered for both events, so that's who I'm competing against. Unfortunately, even though I was mid-pack after MC (11/20), most of the people who dropped out are people who were slower than me. So now I'm in 8th place out of 11. Good news is that I'll probably get a top ten placement in the series, which was my original goal. Bad news is I really wanted to be top 50% and it looks like that's probably unachievable for me. That would probably take a sub-23 hr time and honestly 24 hours would be a good time for me. But looking back overall results from a few years ago, I see some friends of mine who are currently pretty bad-ass. Like the woman who's training for a quintuple IronMan right now. Or the woman who rides all those doubles at 18 mph, everyone calls her Tiger. They rode these rides a few years back in the 28-29 hour range, so really 24 hours would be a good newby time. I'm just going to be happy with that if it manage it, and not get too caught up about finishing in the bottom of the pack.
Old 05-01-15, 12:39 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,647 Times in 3,484 Posts
@Heathpack All your points nail it right on the head, which of course is no surprise to me. I've owned three Rotts over the last 17 years, and they are (were) all totally different. Star was the sweetest dog you ever met. She loved everybody and everything, always had a smile on her face. The ONLY time I ever saw hostility from her was when a friend, who was a stranger to her, walked up and gave me a bro-hug. She almost came through the plate glass door. The protective instinct is very strong in Rotts. But once she saw I knew the guy she calmed down.

Moose was a classic case of insecurity, and he was just too big and strong to be that way. He was dangerous. They were going to put him down just before I rescued him. Once he found that he had a home with me and that I loved him, he became a wonderful dog. I was able to get him socialized to people with little effort, but he always had zero tolerance for other dogs. He too would fight a bear to protect his human. But his bravery and courage and devotion and toughness in the face of adversity endeared him to me even more than Star, and I would have never dreamed that was possible. He was an amazing dog.

Sadie is totally different from Star and Moose. She is high-strung, not calm like most Rotts are. She also has a bad case of separation anxiety, won't let me out of her sight, sometimes I can't go to the bathroom in peace. lol But I'm working on that and she's getting better. She's extremely smart, has picked up some things on the first trial, so training should not be a problem. It just takes time and consistency. Again, the main concern with her is the other-dog socialization which I think could go either way. But @Heathpack, you're right, I get her to sit when I need her to calm down, and during training sessions I accompany the commands with treats on a partial reinforcement regimen so it stays nice and strong. She's getting there, she's just a challenge because she has limitless energy and previous owners let her dominate them. She did whatever she wanted. That's not good for her OR me, so she's learning the BillyD way.

They're super great dogs, that's why I stay with the breed. They're just strong-willed, confident and independent enough that if you don't control them they'll control you. Not with hostility, but with persistence in what THEY want to do. I'll keep youse posted.
Old 05-01-15, 12:44 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
There will be no pics most likely, it's a race. There's 3 races in this event, then it's your total cumulative time on the three rides that determines your overall placement. There were 20 women who competed in the Mulholland Challenge, but only 11 of us are also registered for the Breathless Agony. There are way more women riding BA, about 60 in total. But only 11 of us who registered for both events, so that's who I'm competing against. Unfortunately, even though I was mid-pack after MC (11/20), most of the people who dropped out are people who were slower than me. So now I'm in 8th place out of 11. Good news is that I'll probably get a top ten placement in the series, which was my original goal. Bad news is I really wanted to be top 50% and it looks like that's probably unachievable for me. That would probably take a sub-23 hr time and honestly 24 hours would be a good time for me. But looking back overall results from a few years ago, I see some friends of mine who are currently pretty bad-ass. Like the woman who's training for a quintuple IronMan right now. Or the woman who rides all those doubles at 18 mph, everyone calls her Tiger. They rode these rides a few years back in the 28-29 hour range, so really 24 hours would be a good newby time. I'm just going to be happy with that if it manage it, and not get too caught up about finishing in the bottom of the pack.
Sounds like even if you were "bottom of the pack" you would be in good company.
Old 05-01-15, 12:49 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Last minute plans, wife and I are going camping tomorrow.
Old 05-01-15, 01:02 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My wife doesn't use biscuits, rather pretzels and beer. I tend sit and respond much better, especially with german beer.

My younger daughter has finals this week and just finishing up her vet tech degree. I'll pass this post on to her since there's some great advice here.

Have a great ride tomorrow. Most important is enjoy yourself and be safe. Looking forward to the post-ride summary.
Old 05-01-15, 01:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Sounds pretty epic!!! I'd be happy with anything better than DNF.
Old 05-01-15, 01:07 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillyD
@HeathpackThey're super great dogs, that's why I stay with the breed. They're just strong-willed, confident and independent enough that if you don't control them they'll control you. Not with hostility, but with persistence in what THEY want to do. I'll keep youse posted.
You meant you'ins, right?
Old 05-01-15, 01:19 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by FLvector
You meant you'ins, right?
I think he meant all ya'll, actually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.