Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this OK?

Old 10-02-18, 04:11 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Is this OK?

Is spacing the calliper this far out going to put too much stress on the mounting bolt, possibly bending it? The nut covers about 8mm and the bolt is 6mm so I think it has enough capture.
Old 10-02-18, 07:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
There's no way I would put that out on a bike I or others would ride. I take it that the "recessed" nut is bottomed out on the front side of the steerer. This offers the caliper much less resistance to the rocking that braking action can create. When the recessed nut is properly bottomed on the crown's backside there is a significantly greater bracing ability, the one designed and intended by people far smarter then you and I.

Now when one adds a bracket to the mix the importance of keeping the caliper's mounting bolt tight and positively held is even greater.

So what to do? The best option is to get a shorter nut. One that will have it's shoulder seat against the crown's backside. It's possible that the current, too long, nut has enough threads to just cut down to an appropriate length. But most every shop I've worked in has a lot of these nuts bin various lengths. Some bikes come with more then one and the extras get tossed into the misc. bin. Andy
Old 10-02-18, 07:49 PM
XXLHardrock

Thanks for the reply. The nut has a step in it and is clamping in the back side of the fork. The condition you describe was what I ended up with at first and I agree that wouldn’t have worked.

So now it’s clamping the entire crown and my only concern is if the stud will bend being that much further forward.
Old 10-02-18, 08:12 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
If that were a solid spacer I would say it's fine but it looks like some kind of wire bracket (am I assuming correctly?) and that would worry me as it may tend to shift from the movement of the calipers causing some play or even slipping off the mounting bolt. Keep an eye on it just to sure and I think placing the thin washer in the front of the bracket rather than behind as it is now would be a little more secure.
Old 10-02-18, 08:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Is that a headlight mount?

I think the brake attachment point is commonly used. It looks like it comes awfully close to rubbing the headset. You might be able to gently round the lower corner of the headset cup.

As Andrew Steward said, make sure the recessed nut is set right.

On the front tire, forces would tend to bend the brake forward (and upward). Watch for the shoes rubbing on the tires, but it won't be driven downward and into the tire.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much if everything is adjusted right.
Old 10-02-18, 08:50 PM
XXLHardrock

Yes that bracket is a headlight mount from Busch & Mueller. It’s really stiff and isn’t going to flex at all. There is daylight between the headset and the bracket.
Old 10-02-18, 09:14 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Yea looks ok to me. Make sure it’s all tight
Old 10-02-18, 10:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by XXLHardrock
Thanks for the reply. The nut has a step in it and is clamping in the back side of the fork. The condition you describe was what I ended up with at first and I agree that wouldn’t have worked.

So now it’s clamping the entire crown and my only concern is if the stud will bend being that much further forward.
Then you have a nut I am unfamiliar with, the common ones have only the flange at the wrench end. But I have additional thoughts. If the light bracket is a formed wire one and it's not welded/brazed closed then it might open up from pressure of the spacers/washers. The washer behind the bracket looks to have a conical OD and the narrow end is against the bracket. If so this could act as a wedge on the bracket wire formed loop and expand it. Much like a fender brace end being opened by a washerless bolt head. You are there, I am not so I can't really say much more. Andy
Old 10-02-18, 11:36 PM
Merco_61

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would much rather move the light to a fork blade mounted bracket. As you can't get the light bracket fully up bacause of the headset, the surface area is much smaller than designed when using the brake as a mounting point. On a beefier fork, you can get about 200 degrees of contact instead of those two small contact points by moving the bracket up.