Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Need advice . What cycling app for Samsung?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-20-20, 10:49 AM
rick47601

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I been long time Apple user. Couple months ago I switch to Samsung Note 10 plus with Active 2 watch . I been using Garmin 520 with sensors ant+ only . This is older set up . I want use Zwift for rest of the winter rides tell spring .
I order Wahoo RPM cycling speed and Cadence sensors bluetooth / Ant+ for Zwift . I am going use my Samsung note Zwift app and mirror to my TV . .
When I get ready for outdoor use . Is there app for my phone for the Wahoo sensors or Do I gotta get the Wahoo GPS
Thanks for any recommendation
Rick
Old 01-20-20, 11:43 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
You can keep using your 520, it supports your sensors. Now if you're not satisfied with it and want to use your phone as a head unit, then try the free Wahoo Fitness app. There are other free and paid apps out there, but that's a good one to try first.

Most people prefer using a dedicated bike computer if they have one, though, for reasons like better battery life, screen outside in sunshine, and durability to crashes and drops.
Likes For surak:
Old 01-20-20, 12:26 PM
rick47601

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surak
You can keep using your 520, it supports your sensors. Now if you're not satisfied with it and want to use your phone as a head unit, then try the free Wahoo Fitness app. There are other free and paid apps out there, but that's a good one to try first.

Most people prefer using a dedicated bike computer if they have one, though, for reasons like better battery life, screen outside in sunshine, and durability to crashes and drops.
Thank you .
I google to see if these sensors would pair with Garmin computer .I could not find answer , I thought, I was going to upgrade or use an app . I am sure glad they do .
Thank you so much
Rick
Old 01-24-20, 02:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I mostly use the free Wahoo Fitness app on my Android and iPhone. It's compatible with my Wahoo and XOSS ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors (if the phone is -- I use an old 2011-2012 era ANT+ adapter kit from Wahoo for the iPhone). Transfers to Strava, no problem.

Cyclemeter was good too, but only the paid premium version. Pretty inexpensive for a year's subscription. The free trial version is pretty useless and flooded with ads, so it's more of a turnoff than a good marketing scheme. The paid version has lots of customizable features, including voice prompts. If a maker of quality bike computers licensed Cyclemeter's app for programming workouts, I'd seriously consider buying it.

I just got an inexpensive XOSS G+ computer that's compatible with my ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors, pairs quickly and easily, has GPS and GNSS for tracking rides, and uploads to Strava after a ride. Bypasses my phone, which saves battery life for longer rides. And I don't need the ANT+ dongle for the phone. But the XOSS doesn't offer any navigation aids, just logging where I go. I can check my phone if I need maps or directions. I always pull over to do that anyway, so I didn't really need on-bike navigation, although I can see why some folks prefer it.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-27-20, 01:13 PM
WIshMater

Bikes: Cannondale M300

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used the Wahoo app with my Garmin heart strap and generic cadence sensor and it all worked well with Samsung Galaxy S10, but those sensors stopped working after I upgraded to android 10.
Old 01-30-20, 10:42 AM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
If you have the Wahoo sensors then the Wahoo app works well as a "computer". If you want a smaller "real" computer then look at Wahoo "mini" for $50. It can display the data from RPM and speed even with no phone but with phone can GPS track.
Old 04-28-20, 10:32 AM
Ugly Dwarf

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WIshMater
I used the Wahoo app with my Garmin heart strap and generic cadence sensor and it all worked well with Samsung Galaxy S10, but those sensors stopped working after I upgraded to android 10.
Did you ever get these working again? Do you have any experience using your phone to pair with a power meter?

I have an S10 running OS 10. I have an older Edge 500 with HR strap and cadence, but I'm debating upgrading to a dual pedal power meter system and understand the 500 may not be able to accommodate that.
Old 05-03-20, 07:44 PM
rick47601

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ugly Dwarf
Did you ever get these working again? Do you have any experience using your phone to pair with a power meter?

I have an S10 running OS 10. I have an older Edge 500 with HR strap and cadence, but I'm debating upgrading to a dual pedal power meter system and understand the 500 may not be able to accommodate that.
yes the wahoo sensors paired to my garmin 502 computer with no issue
Old 05-04-20, 03:51 PM
Ugly Dwarf

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I set up the Wahoo app on my S10. I was able to pair my HR, Garmin Cadence, and Vector 3 pedals without issue.

Still working through the data and trying to find ways to capture more of what is available.
Old 05-12-20, 08:23 AM
tlema

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try STRAVA
Old 05-18-20, 08:33 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I have MapMyRun on my phone which I use for running/cycling. Maybe I should install Strava since every other cyclist is using it.
Old 05-28-20, 02:37 PM
tbiscuit360

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Maybe I should install Strava since every other cyclist is using it.
Strava is phenomenal. Highly recommend. The analytics you can get, how easy it is to compare yourself are so easy.
Old 06-28-20, 01:49 PM
OLDTMR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a casual road rider again... sold the mountain bike. I have an iPhone X and a Rokform Case/Mount on the Trek. I'm looking for a simple to use minimalist App that will at a minimum give me speed and distance, and if it could show progress on my route that would be great. At this point, Im riding between 10-12 miles daily around town (streets), enough grades (up/down) to get me sweaty. I know running the iPhone drains the battery, but as long as I keep the rides under 15 miles I'm not worried, I can charge the phone when I get home. I have a CAT EYE CC-CD300DW wireless unit from the other bike, but honestly, I always felt that was overkill for me. I'm not really interested in Cadence LOL. I'd like an App where I can pre-program a few route alternatives, but like I said... all I need to see is speed, distance traveled, and maybe position on the map. So what are my choices? I really don't want anything expensive since I think the iPhone has more than enough horsepower.

As an aside, my bike has the built in mount for the Duo Trap device, I don't know whether adding that would improve anything on the iPhone, but I'm willing to listen. TIA for any suggestions-Mike