Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Assos T.milleShorts_S7 Bibs vs The Black Bib Ultimate

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 12:30 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Trying to get feedback on either of these bibs. The Assos seem to get mixed reviews especially for that brand. Can’t find any reviews for the Ultimates with the upgraded chamois, only of the less expensive bibs. I’ve found the Assos on sale for under $100 so hence these would be at a similar price point.

Any sizing info appreciated too, I’m 5’10” and currently 175 pounds with a 36” waist. The size charts say Large for both but I see a fair number of users at similar size saying they go down to Medium with Assos.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-20, 01:52 PM
mc2002tii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Assos mille GT bib shorts and I’m really happy with them. I’m 6’1 175lbs with a 34” waist and wear the large. They are less constricting than the Rapha Core bib shorts in the same size, but not loose. I just wish the front on them was an inch taller because I have to be careful to not have a gap between the jersey and the bibs at my height.
Old 06-12-20, 02:41 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I have worn the Black Bib Ultimate 5x on 70-80 mile rides and I will order a second pair and third pair. I am 6'2" 210 lbs and the XL was perfect. The fabric is thicker than I thought and washed up well in the delicate cycle cold wash and hanged dry. The chamois was very comfortable and these will be my go to bibs for longer rides. I like the fact the inseam is longer and covers to just above the knee. For $80, I do not think you can go wrong with the Black Bibs Ultimate. Quality garment fabric and the stitching and chamois did not have any rough or friction spots.
Old 06-12-20, 03:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
I can’t tell you which to get but if you get Assos you should get large. Not medium.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-12-20, 04:44 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by busygizmo
Trying to get feedback on either of these bibs. The Assos seem to get mixed reviews especially for that brand. Can’t find any reviews for the Ultimates with the upgraded chamois, only of the less expensive bibs. I’ve found the Assos on sale for under $100 so hence these would be at a similar price point.

Any sizing info appreciated too, I’m 5’10” and currently 175 pounds with a 36” waist. The size charts say Large for both but I see a fair number of users at similar size saying they go down to Medium with Assos.

Thanks.
My original body was 5/10" (thanks to age and neck fusion) down to about 5' 8 1/2". Also around 185 lb. I've been using Assos for the past 5-6 years and it works for me and the quality is excellent. Waist is an actual 37" and I wear large. Fits me perfectly.
Old 06-12-20, 06:51 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Just grabbed a pair of T.milleShorts_S7 Bibs from bikeZaar and they just arrived now, a month later.

Took them out for a spin today. Compared to my S5, the chamois is a bit more refined and contoured where it matters.

Will need a few more rides for final judgement call though.

I'm 5'8, 32" waist, 145lb, medium is perfect for me. I do not think I'd want medium if I were much taller or wider though.
Old 06-12-20, 06:57 PM
derf36

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the t.neopro S7 which I think predate the t.mille S7. They are the ones I pull out of the drawer first and are my favourite. Quality kit.

As to size, get the bigger size. I am 5'10.5, 185 lbs, wear a 32" waist but fill out the butt in my pants. The assos are a bit higher in the leg and a bit lower in the belly. My neopro's are XL and are just right tight.

Do you have a link? I'll buy a pair for $100
Old 06-13-20, 03:51 PM
busygizmo

Thanks for all the replies. Went ahead and ordered a pair of the Assos size Large. I will probably order some shorts from The Black Bibs too, very interested in the Ultimates and their thermal knickers.

Originally Posted by derf36
Do you have a link? I'll buy a pair for $100
Ordered them from The Bike Closet
https://bikecloset.com/
They also have great prices of Continental tires which is what I originaly was looking for.
Old 06-13-20, 07:53 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
following
Old 06-13-20, 07:55 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Never heard of The Black Bibs but was immediately excited when I read the Plus Tall version. Too bad they are sold out.
Old 06-28-20, 06:07 PM
busygizmo

Quick follow up. The Assos bibs are very comfortable although I've only ridden with them twice, both time around 2 hours, so don't know how they will work on longer rides. Fabric is great and the chamois is probably the best synthetic one I've ever had. The only downsides are that they are a little shorter in leg length than I prefer but that's not a big issue and the straps are a little snug. I assume the straps will feel better if I can lose 10 pounds or more. They are low cut in the front but you don't notice that while riding, in fact these almost do "disappear" like others have said about Assos bibs.

Really thinking about getting another pair but not sure if I can justify the expense given my current work situation.
Old 06-28-20, 06:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Never heard of The Black Bibs but was immediately excited when I read the Plus Tall version. Too bad they are sold out.
I have a couple pairs of the plus tall and love em. Be aware though- the inseam is long.

I am 6'5 and find the leg goes to a couple inches before my knee.
I have an XL and XXL and only use the XL now which I like because the leg hole opening is too big on the XXL so the end isn't compressed even.
An XL is great for me at 215 and even at 230.

If they made a bib with the regular shorts inseam and longer shoulder straps, that'd be perfect.

That all probably sounds like I'm talking down the product, but I really do like the bibs. They are the most comfortable bibs I've worn when it comes to torso length. The pad is great and the Italian leg power band or whatever it's called is very comfortable.
Old 06-28-20, 11:41 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I can’t tell you which to get but if you get Assos you should get large. Not medium.
So i am 6'0" and 176 (cough, 180) lb, and i wear a M Assos. I have long legs and a short torso, and it fits quite well.
Old 06-29-20, 04:51 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
5'9" 180lbs for me and my Assos bib shorts are Large and fit great.
Old 06-29-20, 05:30 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I have worn the Black Bib Ultimate 5x on 70-80 mile rides and I will order a second pair and third pair. I am 6'2" 210 lbs and the XL was perfect. The fabric is thicker than I thought and washed up well in the delicate cycle cold wash and hanged dry. The chamois was very comfortable and these will be my go to bibs for longer rides. I like the fact the inseam is longer and covers to just above the knee. For $80, I do not think you can go wrong with the Black Bibs Ultimate. Quality garment fabric and the stitching and chamois did not have any rough or friction spots.
I have a pair of the Black Bibs in XL arriving today. I'm 6' 3" and 210 lbs. Glad to get confirmation that I probably got the right size.