Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Messenger Bag vs. Backpack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 05:18 PM
naterizzle

Bikes: 2010 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2007 Schwinn LeTour GSX (SOLD)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am starting to make my short commute (7 miles each way) via bike and I have been shopping for a new bag to do so with. I have an idea of what features I like, but now I cannot decide if I will prefer a messenger style bag or one of the bike specific backpacks? What do you prefer?

Last edited by naterizzle; 05-09-11 at 05:37 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 05-09-11, 05:38 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is one of those questions that comes up pretty often so a search will probably get you more info, but with that disclaimer out of the way...

How heavy will your load be? Will you be riding every day? Do you need to get stuff out of the bag without taking it off and putting it on the ground? Will you be using it off the bike?

I commuted for almost 3 years with a messenger bag. They're great. They hold a lot of stuff, they feel good while on the bike. Doable off the bike, but not as comfy as a backpack would be. Very durable too. If your load's not very heavy, or if you need to get stuff out often without taking the bag off, i'd go with the messenger.

For me, after all that time carrying my heavy load on one shoulder for 25 miles a day, it started to wear on my body and caused some neck and nerve problems for me. I switched to a backpack around 3 months ago and can tell a huge difference in the neck pain dept. The disadvantages over the messenger that i've noticed is that I have to stop and take the bag off to get stuff out, and because of the backpack shape it kinda swings from side to side more than the messenger when mashing on the pedals. There also seems to be more of a blind spot when I look over my shoulder, but that probably depends on the bag you buy. I work around that by just leaning my torso more when glancing back to see around the bag. I feel like there's also more sweat with the backpack. Two straps instead of one, more of the bag contacts my back.

I would prefer the messenger bag, while riding. It just feels more natural, but my body can't take the single strap anymore. The double straps works better for me.

Last edited by bhop; 05-09-11 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 06:32 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double Strap = More Comfort. End of story.

Single Strap is for looking cool.
Old 05-09-11, 06:40 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
"messenger style bag"?

Identify both what you need/plan to carry and how much you are willing to spend to do so.
Old 05-09-11, 06:42 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 531phile

Not always. I've had backpacks that weren't that comfortable. Even my current Banjo Brothers pack will rub my left nipple wrong if I don't pay attention...
Old 05-09-11, 06:43 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Timbuk2 XL messenger bag and I love it, have been using it since the day I got it about six months ago. As 531 mentioned double straps provide better comfort but unfortunately they are not water resistant =/ the good thing is that the bag has a stabilizing strap and it can be changed from left to right shoulder.
Old 05-09-11, 06:56 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

not so

Backpacks tend to make my shoulders/clavicles ache and my messenger bag does not.
Old 05-09-11, 07:03 PM
HoneyDutch09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh, massager bags are alright if you're not carrying much but I don't really like them. Backpacks for the win.
Old 05-09-11, 07:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
14 miles a day ? need to get the weight off your back..
in summer it is your cooling radiator..
Put either in a basket on a rear rack,
you can put the bag on when you get there.
Old 05-09-11, 07:45 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I greatly prefer backpacks. It's not even a close contest.
Old 05-09-11, 07:48 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Panniers
Old 05-09-11, 07:56 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Panniers or trunk bag for me. It doesn't hurt to have more than one way to carry stuff, you know. It's not either/or.
Old 05-09-11, 07:59 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've got a GoLite Race ultralight pack that I won't carry more than 10 - 12 pounds of stuff in it because the lifter straps dig in through the thin shoulder straps.
Today I stopped at the grocery and picked up a gallon of milk, a gallon of OJ, a cantaloupe and a bunch of bananas and fit them in my courier bag along with a rain jacket, rain pants, and a bath towel. The heavy padded, wide shoulder strap of the Chrome Metropolis is designed for dealing with this sort of weight, the wide seatbelt webbing strap doesn't roll or dig in across my chest, and the anti-sway strap keeps the whole deal in place when sprinting through traffic.

Double strap doesn't automatically equal more comfort. There's poorly designed bags of both styles, and there's the wrong bag for the desired application. I wouldn't try to load that giant heap of stuff today into a Timbuk2 or a ReLoad without the ($16 optional) messenger pad or ($25 add-on) 215-strap. I'd gladly see if it would fit into an Ortlieb Roll-Top messenger backpack, though. Those things are comfy.

Only if it's comfortable. The twisted grimace of pain and Bob Dole dead-arm flapping in the breeze as you ride are not a cool look.
Old 05-09-11, 07:59 PM
Top Gunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience:

Messenger bags are good for lighter loads. They become less comfortable and more awkward the more you put in them. If you are going to get a messenger bag, I would suggest getting one with a stabilizer strap across the body. I have a Chrome; Timbuk2 also makes good bags, but I think Bailey Works has them both beat (though they cost more too). I found a backpack to be much better suited to a heavier load, again, provided the bag has stabilizing straps. Definitely a sternum strap, waist strap a bonus. I used a North Face Recon pack. It has a padded back, padded straps, stabilizing straps, laptop pocket, big mesh stow pocket on the back (for helmet, jacket, or anything else). It's great for commuting.

I will say though, I got tired of carrying things on my back. I invested in a rack and a pannier that converts to a messenger bag to use off the bike. It was a great move, I cannot overstate how much more pleasant my ride is without the weight on my back.

Bottom line: Messenger bags are good for light loads, if you need quick access to what's in your bag, or if you need to get on/off your bike a lot. Backpack distributes weight more comfortably and is probably your cheapest option. Rack/pannier is my choice, but does require a little more thought. Good luck.
Old 05-09-11, 08:05 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you need to get into your bag without removing it, consider a messenger bag. If you're not delivering stuff, it's a bad choice.
Old 05-09-11, 08:06 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I need to carry something on my back, I prefer the messenger bag. Everything is easily accessible and I like it for lighter loads. If I do have to carry something heavy, I always switch to the backpack.
Old 05-09-11, 08:22 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Something else to consider is if you need it to be waterproof. In Seattle (OP's location) it's highly suggested. That starts to limit the backpack choices (and eliminates the messenger-type bags and leaves you with only the real deal.)

Ortleib makes a hella nice waterproof backpack. So do Chrome and Mission Workshop (both made in the USA).
Old 05-09-11, 09:18 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used a backpack but never wore it on my back while riding. Tried it once and hated it. Instead, it sat on my bike's rear rack, secured by a built-in double-bungee cord and hook. I don't understand why anyone would want to add extra weight to their backs while riding. Packs and bags get heavy and cumbersome, and they shift. Let the bike frame handle the weight.
Old 05-09-11, 09:46 PM
McTrey
That Guy

Bikes: Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually prefer the backpack over having the weight on the rack. It feels more natural to me with the weight attached to my back than to my bike. I suppose it really depends on what makes you feel more in control of the load.

And FWIW, the loads I carried were what I would consider decent for a backpack. 2-3 school textbooks, 2-3 notebooks, a change of clothes, lunch and whatever misc. items I had in the back pocket. There were days that I really had to struggle to get the zippers to close.
Old 05-09-11, 10:02 PM
BattleRabbit
Anachronist.

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Le Tour, 2010 Motobecane Sprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought the issue was sweat between these two options, until I realized that in order to have a messenger bag high enough not to interfere with mounting/dismounting it was in roughly the same part of my back as a standard backpack. No real advantage.

A good backpack will work better. By design it will spread the load better, making it more comfortable, and backpacks are generally easier to load evenly because of their shape. This is a boon on a bicycle.

If you MUST get stuff out of the bag without removing it, get a messenger bag. If not, backpack all day. For just commuting to work I have used my Ogio aeropack, which was great for holding a change of clothes, shoes and my lunch. For a full school load there are plenty of other options.
Old 05-09-11, 10:18 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I've got decent quality backpacks, messenger bags, and panniers. They all have their pros and cons even though many pannier lovers can't imagine why anyone would choose something else.

Right now I'm using a backpack. I think in general they're easier on your neck and shoulders. I've never tried a high-end messenger bag though. That aside in my mind the pros of a mess bag vs. a backpack are:

1. You don't have to take a messenger bag off to get at your stuff.
2. The large opening makes it possible to pack bigger and irregularly shaped objects
3. Easier to get on and off.
4. Easier to find waterproof models.

After tweaking my shoulders pretty good on a snowboard crash, I ended up having to quit using the messenger bag for awhile because the soreness from the crash wouldn't completely go away. I used panniers for about 6 weeks. They were OK and I'm glad I have a set now to use if necessary but I don't really like them for commuting. It's a discussion that's been hashed out many times. Since you didn't ask about panniers I won't bother you with the details.

After the panniers I bought a good commuting backpack. Sometimes I miss the convenience of a messenger bag, but I have no shoulder, neck, or back soreness, so I've stuck with it.
Old 05-09-11, 10:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
I like a backpack. Not just any backpack. Suspended mesh back and a sternum strap are musts. Not necessarily bike specific.
Old 05-09-11, 11:23 PM
csjesse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from a student at uni's perspective who rides to all classes; i've used both and much prefer the messenger bag.

i've been through a few of the well respected bags, using a chrome citizen right now.

goodluck
Old 05-09-11, 11:40 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Backpacks tend to make my shoulders/clavicles ache and my messenger bag does not.
If you're wearing a simple two strap jansport or the like, then yes, you will hurt your shoulders. I don't know why I have to keep saying this in this forum, but if you have to carry a reasonable amount of weight "on your back", take cues from backpackers. Proper backpacks have waist belts that are NOT designed to keep the pack from swaying, but are actually designed to put the weight on your hips and not on your shoulders.

Instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5kmSReIx40

I don't adjust every strap every time as they tell you to in the video. I pretty much set an initial fit on all the straps and then snug down the waist belt every time.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
14 miles a day ? need to get the weight off your back..
in summer it is your cooling radiator..
Put either in a basket on a rear rack,
you can put the bag on when you get there.
Again, it's not "on your back" and I commute 14 miles a day with a backpack and I love it.

If the OP is curious (cause goodness knows everyone else is tired of me saying it ), I have the Osprey Talon 22. Great bag.
Old 05-10-11, 12:51 AM
Przemek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there's no one simple answer to this one. You should really try the possible options i.e. backpack, a bag and panniers. My commute has also been around 14 miles per day and testing different options I can't really tell which is overly better.
1. Non-cycling Eastpak backpack was the worst choice. I sweat a LOT an I've been mocked for having my shirt all wet even in winter! Despite it had a volume of 25l/1525ci which isn't really small, it was designed to hold flat objects, so a jacket, a fleece, a pair of shoes plus notebooks, books and a netbook was sometimes a problem.
2. If you are a sweaty bear like me an want to avoid it, panniers are the best choice. Taking the weigh off your back and riding without a wet back felt great. My single pannier was a wateproof roll-top style, 27l/1647ci. Pannier design was better than the backpack's - a single compartment and the volume was much more versatile and useful. It held nearly everything i could carry to uni and back. However, I sometimes spend all day riding around from place to place, often walking around and I feel uncomfortable carrying things in my hands which I had to do with a pannier. Also I come back with more load than I left with, in these cases I took the second pannier with me, sometimes only to carry two around.
3. Then I decided to try a messenger bag. I'm a short guy, so a medium size was the biggest I could try without an infamous fakenger look. I've bought a used standard cordura-tarpauline design, the price was a little more than the panniers. The bag is 33l/2013ci. Theoretically, for me it has the strength and good volume versality of a pannier while still being on your back. It's very big, so I'm always tempted to carry more stuff, never overloaded it - it held all my clothes and books plus a compact (euro) vacuum cleaner I had to borrow - and still felt comfortable. BUT I ended up ridng with a bag that still looks big on me, some friends ask whether I'm delivering pizza after class. Also the bag does not replace a standard backpack when walking long distances - they are designed for cycling.
In short:
Backpack. Pros: casual look, a lot to choose from. Cons: sweat, most of the backpacks aren't waterproof, must find a design suitable for your needs.
Panniers. Pros: ultimate comfort, proper volume distribution, waterproof (the better ones), commuter points Cons: not comfortable off the bike.
Messenger bag: provide a large storage space and water resistance, good for carrying a lot, easy to adjust while riding (not every one). Cons: you may not use that extra storage and the bag does not replace a backpack for non-cycling acrivities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.